Reading's McAnuff Slam's Wages (1 Viewer)

SuperCov

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8082936/Reading-skipper-slams-salaries

What are peoples thoughts on clubs/leagues having salary caps like they do in American sports?

Would it help or hinder football?

I've always been under the impression that it would be good for football, as it would help prevent teams going into administration. I think it could also give the teams a more level playing field.

I'm just not sure how it'd all be worked out. Would you have it so every team in the top four divisions have the same cap? So that when you get promoted/relegated you don't have too many personnel changes. Or all teams in each division have the same? Then that asks the question if each division is different, how much are they different? How would it affect the teams promoted and relegated? Or could you base it on league and stadia size? For example if Man Utd have gates of 75k would it be right for them to get the same as or more than say Norwich who get 22k?

I understand football clubs are business' but I do feel that money has ruined this sport, I caught a bit of "The Big Matched Revisted" on ITV 4 yesterday morning and it was so refreshing to watch. If you got fouled, you were fouled end of, you just got back up and got on with it none of this go running to the referee cack we see today.

Got a bit sidetracked. Anywhoo's, thoughts?

ggrady

It would be brilliant. Maybe less glory supporters and football would be more tribal again. I would have a wage cap for each division and when relegated your wage cap goes down in stages so it's not too many changes at first. I could see it really messing football up for a few years if it did come in

scroobiustom

could potentially force all the best players aboard and improve the national team as a) English players are given oppotunities and b) the better English player will learn a different culture of football a la Steve Mcmanaman

im all for it!

Tad

Would be much easier to just have an import cap like the ice hockey league over here. The idea is, you can't sign no more then "x" amount of foreign players and can't play "x" amount of import players in the same game.

The stupid wages...well..I agree, but we have sponsorship like Sky Sports at fault for that.

Maaaaaardy

Absolutely. Would stop Man City making a joke out of the league. I have a lot of respect for Jobi now for talking out! He's right, £200,000 a week to live on and he's moaning, it's unreal isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread