Ratings vs MK Dons (1 Viewer)

LJC_CCFC

Well, what a difference a week makes in football. A backs to wall second half defensive performance to banish the horrors of Sheffield United away to the history books.

Rather than go through the individuals, I'll rate the whole team an 8/10. We went at MK from the word go and that initial 25 minute period of play was as high tempo and effective a performance as we've produced all season, culminating in a Fleck assist (THATS RIGHT, A FLECK ASSIST) and a superb finish from Samuels.

It evened up towards the end of the first half and the second half was all MK Dons, however I don't think we should be worried by this as MK have been dominating possession against teams for years now, and trying to open up and match them for possession would have left us exposed.

All their possession, corners, crosses and the individual effort of Baker, who was trying to jink his way through everyone to get the goal he so evidently craved, was matched by a gritty Sky Blue defensive display.

The back five to a man were exceptional, with those in front maintaining their work rate throughout to see us to victory and a crucial and character building three points.

This shows what the players are capable of and a similar application over the next 14 league games will see us avoid relegation.

I felt that both City fans and players were able to claim back some dignity with the win and performance today, it was the first time in many many home games that I'd heard the Sky Blue song reverberate around the Ricoh.

Our dour leader has departed, taking the doom and gloom of this season with him (Hopefully anyway).

PUSB.

Last edited:

FRY-CCFC

Burge - 9

Phillips - 8
Pennington - 9
Martin - 8
Stokes - 8

JOB - 7
Barton - 8
Fleck - 8
Williams - 7

Tudgay - 6
Samuel - 8

Subs:
Thomas - 5
Proschwitz - 6
Finch - N/A

FUCK YOU PRESSLEY.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Burge - 8
Phillips - 6
Pennington -8
Martin -8
Stokes - 6
Barton - 6
Fleck - 6
O'Brien - 6
Williams -5
Samuel -7
Tudgay - 5

Midfield and strikers get lowish ratings as they weren't involved in an attacking sense for 60 minutes of the game, not through fault of there own as MK are a quality team. Burge, Martin and Pennington were superb. Stokes started well and did his best, thought both full backs were given a really tough time by Powell and Baker but both battled well.

Rusty Trombone

Burge - 8
Phillips - 6
Pennington -8
Martin -8
Stokes - 6
Barton - 6
Fleck - 6
O'Brien - 6
Williams -5
Samuel -7
Tudgay - 5

Midfield and strikers get lowish ratings as they weren't involved in an attacking sense for 60 minutes of the game, not through fault of there own as MK are a quality team. Burge, Martin and Pennington were superb. Stokes started well and did his best, thought both full backs were given a really tough time by Powell and Baker but both battled well.

Agree pretty much with that. Stokes certainly didn't look put of place, Williams was poor, Pennington and Burge highest marks from me.

stupot07

Burge - 8
Phillips - 6
Pennington -8
Martin -8
Stokes - 6
Barton - 6
Fleck - 6
O'Brien - 6
Williams -5
Samuel -7
Tudgay - 5

Yep, seem pretty fair scores to me, so difficult to judge when you've been under the cosh for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

CCFC_Charlie

Burge - 7
Phillips - 5
Pennington - 7
Martin - 7
Stokes - 7
O'Brien - 5
Fleck - 6
Barton - 6
Williams - 5
Samuel - 8
Tudgay - 5

Thomas - 5
Proschwitz - 5
Finch - 5

westofrayne

1st Half

Burge - 8

Phillips - 7
Pennington - 7
Martin - 8
Stokes - 8

JOB - 7
Barton - 8
Fleck - 8
Williams - 6

Tudgay - 6
Samuel - 7

2nd Half

Burge - 8

Phillips - 6
Pennington - 7
Martin - 7
Stokes - 7

JOB - 6
Barton - 5
Fleck - 5
Williams - N/A

Tudgay - 5
Samuel - 6

Subs:
Thomas - 6
Proschwitz - 6
Finch - 5

Ok first half. second, oh dear god, that weras poor.

Sutty

I'm going to be a little more negative. Yes we sat deep and decided to soak up pressure, but you have to maintain some semblance of a threat going forward or it just becomes a constant onslaught. We couldn't put more than 2 passes together all second half, and had MK not continually fluffed their lines in front of goal we certainly wouldn't have gone away with 3 points. There were at least 6 moments where I was 100% convinced they were about to score, only for their striker to somehow miss the ball, or Burge to somehow end up sitting on the ball.

Having said that, there was no shortage of effort. Tudgay and Barton both put in goal-saving challenges at one time or another and it was great to see the determination from every player. However, the gap in quality between the sides was embarrassingly stark and we'd be naive to ignore it just because we got the win.

Burge - 7 - Grew in confidence after looking a bit nervy early on. Looks good coming out for crosses and made a couple of good stops.

Phillips - 5 - Baker gave him a tough time. Gave the ball away in the build-up to their goal by needlessly trying to force the play.
Pennington - 7 - Dealt with everything as the last line of defence. Looked the most willing to push the defensive line forward when we got too deep.
Martin - 6 - Was reasonably commanding, with a few nervy moments.
Stokes - 7 - Looks tidy. Baker was far quieter whenever he got moved to the right. Looks composed on the ball, capable of controlling and playing a pass.

O'Brien - 5 - Lots of running, but I'd like him to move some of his blood from his legs to his brain. Too often charged infield leaving Phillips exposed.
Barton - 6 - When we're playing well (not that often) he's great, but when the chips are down he's not going to wrestle back control of the game. Gets an extra point for a great goal-saving tackle in the first half.
Fleck - 6 - Disappeared in the second half. Was nice to see him press high and create a goal in the first half, we need more of that.
Williams - 4 - I know he's out of position, but this isn't Jordan Clarke up front we're talking about, it's a number 10 on the wing - you see something similar in many teams. His touch was poor, he made terrible runs, very disappointing. Not surprised he was taken off at half-time.

Samuel - 7 - Touch of class - great composed finish. Looks our best player in terms of basic football skills.
Tudgay - 6 - Worked hard, defended from the front, and made a great goal-saving block in the second-half. Didn't do much going forward though.

Subs:

Thomas - 5 - Tried, but we were so deep that he couldn't do much other than run with it as far as possible before being tackled.
Proschwitz - 5 - Impossible job. So isolated.
Finch - 5 - Came on, headed a few clear.

I kind of hate myself for seeming negative after a win over a title challenger. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the 3 points, but we were very fortunate, make no mistake.

ccfcno9

Burge-8 good performance between sticks, goal kicks/distribution could have been better

Phillips-8
Pennington -8
Martin-8
Stokes-9 great debut, played with confidence, + goal clinches MoM for me

JOB-7
Barton-7 Hopefully a new manager can help midfield get link between defenders and strikers better.
Fleck-7
Williams-6 A bit lightweight on the ball

Tudgay-6 Not much to show for his efforts, midfield not helping him to shine.
Samuel-7 Well taken goal. plenty of ability at this level. Looked lazy at times.

LJC_CCFC

Certainly there was an element of luck about today's win, there were three or four balls flashed across our box first half that Cole should have finished. However when you think back to our recent games against MK, even in the wins they bossed possession and when defending a lead against them its extremely hard to get a foothold in the game. They've put five and six past teams this year, they're a slick passing machine and we have been the exact opposite for the majority of the season, so that fact we only conceded the one is remarkable.

stupot07

I'm going to be a little more negative. Yes we sat deep and decided to soak up pressure, but you have to maintain some semblance of a threat going forward or it just becomes a constant onslaught. We couldn't put more than 2 passes together all second half, and had MK not continually fluffed their lines in front of goal we certainly wouldn't have gone away with 3 points. There were at least 6 moments where I was 100% convinced they were about to score, only for their striker to somehow miss the ball, or Burge to somehow end up sitting on the ball.

Having said that, there was no shortage of effort. Tudgay and Barton both put in goal-saving challenges at one time or another and it was great to see the determination from every player. However, the gap in quality between the sides was embarrassingly stark and we'd be naive to ignore it just because we got the win.

Burge - 7 - Grew in confidence after looking a bit nervy early on. Looks good coming out for crosses and made a couple of good stops.

Phillips - 5 - Baker gave him a tough time. Gave the ball away in the build-up to their goal by needlessly trying to force the play.
Pennington - 7 - Dealt with everything as the last line of defence. Looked the most willing to push the defensive line forward when we got too deep.
Stokes - 7 - Looks tidy. Baker was far quieter whenever he got moved to the right. Looks composed on the ball, capable of controlling and playing a pass.

O'Brien - 5 - Lots of running, but I'd like him to move some of his blood from his legs to his brain. Too often charged infield leaving Phillips exposed.
Barton - 6 - When we're playing well (not that often) he's great, but when the chips are down he's not going to wrestle back control of the game. Gets an extra point for a great goal-saving tackle in the first half.
Fleck - 6 - Disappeared in the second half. Was nice to see him press high and create a goal in the first half, we need more of that.
Williams - 4 - I know he's out of position, but this isn't Jordan Clarke up front we're talking about, it's a number 10 on the wing - you see something similar in many teams. His touch was poor, he made terrible runs, very disappointing. Not surprised he was taken off at half-time.

Samuel - 7 - Touch of class - great composed finish. Looks our best player in terms of basic football skills.
Tudgay - 6 - Worked hard, defended from the front, and made a great goal-saving block in the second-half. Didn't do much going forward though.

Subs:

Thomas - 5 - Tried, but we were so deep that he couldn't do much other than run with it as far as possible before being tackled.

I kind of hate myself for seeming negative after a win over a title challenger. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the 3 points, but we were very fortunate, make no mistake.

Pretty much bang on for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

speedie87

Burge 8 - best game i've seen him have, great to see a keeper claiming some crosses. Obviously is not the finished article, and was asking for a booking all second half!

Stokes 8- i really like this lad, keeps it simple, is calm has a good size, obviously not up to speed fitness wise but much safer than having haynes in defense.
Martin 7 - not a fan of him but won his fair share of headers and kept it simple
Pennington 8 - played well and good job too
Phillips 6 - not his best game today - partly at fault for the goal, losing the ball and getting beat by baker. However O'Brien gives him very little help

O'brien 5 - as usual ran himself into ground first half, very little quality / and not a good captain for me
Fleck 7 - seemed well up for the game today - good to see him win the ball higher up the pitch for the 2nd goal, spring forward and ball in samuel
Barton 6 - again not his best - and part of the midfield that was totally overrun second half......far to often lost his man at set pieces, which could have cost us, let baker in at 0-0 from a throw in.
Williams -5 didn't do anything, but i'd rather have him on the pitch than thomas

Samuel 7 - great first half and great goal..........went missing second half, think he struggles for stamina
Tudgay 6 - couple of good balls first half for samuel - again missing 2nd half , at least we took him of today rather than letting him struggle on

thomas 5 adds very little at the moment, looks totally out of position
proschwitz - 5 didn't look very promising
finch 5

Baker 9 - fair play to him, was best player on the pitch

SkyBlue_Bear83

Subs:

Not negative at all, for a team in our position to beat a MK, Bristol, Swindon or Preston is going to need a degree of fortune and luck to it.

Luckily for us we got the rub of the green today just as Crawley did when they beat Swindon the other week.

Otis

Pretty much bang on for me.

Yeah me too.

MOTM for me was Pennington. Was impressed with Burge today too. Seemed to grow in confidence as the game wore on.

Terry Gibson's perm

Could be that MK were just that much better than us in the second half but I thought we looked unfit.

One of the first things that the new manager will say is that we need to improve the fitness, it seems to be a regular statement when they come in.

Terry Gibson's perm

Burge - 7

Phillips - 6
Pennington - 8
Martin - 6
Stokes - 7

JOB - 5
Barton - 7
Fleck - 7
Williams - 4

Tudgay - 7
Samuel - 8

Subs:
Thomas - 4
Proschwitz - 5
Finch - 5

Whoever comes in needs to sort out JOB and get him to keep the shape as he leaves Phillips exposed when he goes off running around like Forest Gump, I also think after today that it is way to early for Thomas he looked like a little boy out there. It was fantastic to see Fleck breaking forward today instead of playing in between the centre backs. The side looks much better without Webster in it and Pennington playing centre back.

SkyBlue_Bear83

There was one moment where Thomas made a complete hash of a clearance only to get a second attempt and be successful that time, could have been costly. I agree it is way too early for him to be in such a pressure cauldron, I was convinced we would throw it away in the final few minutes as the anxiety in the stands was through the roof and with the young team I really thought it would get to them in the end.

SkyBlueScottie

No real difference in performance and the way we played them previous weeks. Burge played well, the back 4 were given a tough time but got us over the line today. Barton and Fleck dropped too deep when under the cosh, however Fleck was excellent for the second goal. Hopefully with some confidence the midfield will not drop so deep. We played well, yes MK Dons will feel aggrieved, however we fought for the win and we came away feeling proud of our team, which we have not done that so many times after a home game this season.

Users who are viewing this thread