Rarely mentioned past players....... (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just been thinking about past players for City (as you do), and came up with some names that I don't believe have rarely been mentioned much on these threads, but some great players nonetheless. Those that spring to mind are (in no particular order of any merit):
Terry Yorath
Maurice Setters
Ian Gibson
Gary Breen
Stephen Warnock (loanee from Liverpool. Wished we could have kept him!)
Mark Hateley
Jimmy Holmes
Les Sealey
Gary Bannister
David Cross
Phil Babb
These are just a handful of names that rarely get a mention. I know there must be many more. Obviously from my selection you will see I choose from way back, but I'm sure some of our younger posters will have choices of their own.

AlansEyes

Sean Flynn.

Just a thought after seeing Gary Breen's name - such a shame that Strachan would almost always seem to favour Willo/Shaw over Breen. A slight aside, did anyone see Strachan name his best Cov team from his time here on the CT site the other day? A back four that included Williams, Shaw and Telfer at left back says all we need to know about why he ultimately took us down.

HerneBayGaz

Bill Glazier
Who was once interviewed said, If only I was as good Lee Burge in my day I could have been a sky blue legend

AStonesThrow

David Pipe
Richard Spong
Morten Hyldegaard
David McNamee
Danny Fox
Viorel Moldovan
Leon McKenzie
Laurent Delorge

Magwitch

David Bowman
David Bradford
Leigh Jenkinson
Wilf Smith (first ever £100k full back)
Geoff Strong
Peter Hindley

torchomatic

Alan Dugdale
John Beck
Alan Green

Terry Gibson's perm

Sandy Robertson
Jim McInally

The Italian lads we signed when Strachan was here

skyblueeyesrevisited

Ray Woods
David Smith
Peter Atherton
Tony Dobson
Peter Billing
Kevin Drinkell
Ah Peter Billing. The story goes that City scouts went to see a youngster playing for Crewe one night. The youngster, a midfielder had a poor game and we signed centre back Billing instead.

The youngster signed for Aston Villa shortly after.

His name was David Platt.

(not the one in Coronation Street)

Gibbo

Just been thinking about past players for City (as you do), and came up with some names that I don't believe have rarely been mentioned much on these threads, but some great players nonetheless. Those that spring to mind are (in no particular order of any merit):
Terry Yorath
Maurice Setters
Ian Gibson
Gary Breen
Stephen Warnock (loanee from Liverpool. Wished we could have kept him!)
Mark Hateley
Jimmy Holmes
Les Sealey
Gary Bannister
David Cross
Phil Babb
These are just a handful of names that rarely get a mention. I know there must be many more. Obviously from my selection you will see I choose from way back, but I'm sure some of our younger posters will have choices of their own.
Not forgotten though. The top 3 are my 3 favourites of all time. God we need a Yorath right now. Setters kept us up almost single-handedly. Gibbo was "king of Coventry"
Sealey was ghastly. He only ever kicked long and took about 10 minutes over it

oucho

I'd put Paul Furlong on this list too.

ccfcrob

Vicente Engonga,
Isiais,
David Rennie,
Craig Pead,
Kyle Lightbourne,
Simon Haworth,
Viorel Moldovan,
Tomas Antonelius/Gustaffsson
Jean Wallemme,
Willie Boland,
Eoin Jess,

Hundreds of others surely

Malaka

cant remember his name for the life of me, midfielder we signed from West Ham in the early 80's. I think he played for England as well

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Mention of Steve Livingstone in them. His shots were either out of this world or out of the ground. Might i add Mick Coop ,Gerry Daly,Brian Alderson and Dave Clement.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Graham Oakey - the best left back we ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread