Racism in football (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

This issue seems to be getting more and more press lately and more and more footballers are speaking out against it.
Yes, it's reprehensible, and we would all like it stamped out, but some of the suggestions as to how to do it seem ridiculous.
I'm now hearing clubs should be punished by either having to play matches behind closed doors, be punished by points deductions, or even by being relegated.
Does anyone else thinks it's unfair to punish a club for the actions of its supporters?
A club has a duty to speak out against racism or to ban racist supporters who can be identified but other than that are they really responsible for an individual fan who shouts a racist chant?
And aren't these highly paid superstars getting a bit over sensitive about this? When I went to games in my youth, players would be called 'donkeys' or 'carthorses' or any other derogatory epithet that could be applied to a (white) player.
When I was young I was made fun of because I was skinny (imagine that today!), then made fun of because I was quiet, then made fun of because I went bald. Sometimes you just have to suck up abuse and become stronger because of it.
I can't help feeling the world is turing into a population of wimps and complainers who can't tolerate being upset over anything.

Grendel

This issue seems to be getting more and more press lately and more and more footballers are speaking out against it.
Yes, it's reprehensible, and we would all like it stamped out, but some of the suggestions as to how to do it seem ridiculous.
I'm now hearing clubs should be punished by either having to play matches behind closed doors, be punished by points deductions, or even by being relegated.
Does anyone else thinks it's unfair to punish a club for the actions of its supporters?
A club has a duty to speak out against racism or to ban racist supporters who can be identified but other than that are they really responsible for an individual fan who shouts a racist chant?
And aren't these highly paid superstars getting a bit over sensitive about this? When I went to games in my youth, players would be called 'donkeys' or 'carthorses' or any other derogatory epithet that could be applied to a (white) player.
When I was young I was made fun of because I was skinny (imagine that today!), then made fun of because I was quiet, then made fun of because I went bald. Sometimes you just have to suck up abuse and become stronger because of it.
I can't help feeling the world is turing into a population of wimps and complainers who can't tolerate being upset over anything.

Being called bald isn’t exactly the same as being called a monkey is it? If you are bald oddly that’s what you are. If you are a naturalised African human you are not s monkey are you?

chiefdave

I don't think any of the examples you've given remotely compares to being racially abused.

As for punishments for clubs it depends how seriously the clubs are taking the problem and what they are doing to try and stop it. With the recent England game the comment was made they will get a fine, pay it and nothing will be done. The fans will keep being racist as they get no punishment. If they know a repeat meant three games behind closed doors would they think twice?

Skybluefaz

You mean they didn't make fun of you for being thick as mince?

ccfctommy

What an absolute shit take

Nick

Administrator

Are you on smack?

You were skinny and going bald or a player being a carthorse isn't quite monkey chants or throwing bananas is it?

Nick

Administrator
Easy for people to mock, but if you know your history it's not that long ago that quiet thin balding men had to use a separate bathroom from everyone else.
That's usually because they were sex offenders.

ajsccfc

CqyO.gif

SBAndy

Blimey.

Covkid1968#

John Barnes really makes a lot of sense whenever he talks about it.... I remember going to England v Scotland in 1988 and the Scots were throwing bananas at him and passing around an inflatable monkey with John Barnes on it.....so when he speaks I always stop what I’m doing and listen.... apart from when he tries to rap of course.

Sky Blue Pete

John Barnes really makes a lot of sense whenever he talks about it.... I remember going to England v Scotland in 1988 and the Scots were throwing bananas at him and passing around an inflatable monkey with John Barnes on it.....so when he speaks I always stop what I’m doing and listen.... apart from when he tries to rap of course.
Yep I agree. You’ve got to give and take but do it at the right time

Covstu

Anyone see this? The silence...

What I gather he is trying to say is that it’s okay to call AJ a nonce but not acceptable to be racist. Not sure where exactly he was going with that but I suppose it’s going into the realms of what is deemed offensive and what is reasonable......maybe

Covstu

Back to the OP, you cannot compare the abuse that these players have received for their colour of their skin compared to being bald or a donkey! Anyone sing the Greg Downs song?

This is about what is socially and morally responsible, I have seen comments on Facebook when this come up about Rose recently and people were saying that as he is paid lots of money he should ‘suck it up’ and take the abuse! Why should he when a white player isn’t receiving the same abuse and picking up an equal pay cheque!

They are getting better at identifying these individuals with camera systems etc. But I do agree they need to take a tougher stance on the clubs as the message isn’t getting out quick enough. Financial penalties won’t work however

clint van damme

Being called bald isn’t exactly the same as being called a monkey is it? If you are bald oddly that’s what you are. If you are a naturalised African human you are not s monkey are you?

it's incredible that in 2019 you have to take time to explain that to someone.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

it's incredible that in 2019 you have to take time to explain that to someone.

Oh I don’t know. Even supposed educated managers who consider themselves liberal can be very racist - I’ve seen some pretty bad examples recently where people think it’s funny to mimic foreign accents etc you’d be suprised

Grendel

Sent to Wigan's Nathan Byrne today

tRsPVJt.jpg

Aren't these rich players a bit oversensitive though? I remember someone saying I had shit trainers once

He’s probably thin as well

Users who are viewing this thread