Question mark over rugby (1 Viewer)

better days

With 6 Hull FC players testing positive after their game against Salford it must put a big doubt over whether rugby union can return as planned
Rugby League are talking about having no scrums
This must be worrying news for Wasps Cuckoos and the other RU clubs

Last edited:

Magwitch

I can’t see how it can it’s the one sport where any social distancing is impossible it’s all about mauls, grappling, rucks, scrimmages I’d think it would be the last sport to start up

Covkid1968#

You have to feel for clubs like Cov RFC ..... but the potential of Wasps imploding just makes it a very interesting time for us

Magwitch

RL is different but the same principles apply. If under the present COVID-19 circumstances how the start up of any rugby pro or amateur can be rubber stamped amazes me.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s an awful situation for everyone isn’t it? I’m so caught between calling government out about how bad they’ve dealt with things and wanting everything to be resolved and get back to normal

Colin Steins Smile

It’s an awful situation for everyone isn’t it? I’m so caught between calling government out about how bad they’ve dealt with things and wanting everything to be resolved and get back to normal
I think we are suffering for the government not following the old adage of a "stitch in time, saves nine". Look at our GDP figures compared to other european countries, who locked down earlier and have more effective track and test systems.

Sbarcher

I think it's just shit now. Seems to be a generational thing that after the long lockdown people can forget about those hardships and just go and do what they want wherever it suits them. It's not a second wave, we haven't dealt with the first yet. Too many selfish people around spoiling it all for the rest of us.

wingy

I think it's just shit now. Seems to be a generational thing that after the long lockdown people can forget about those hardships and just go and do what they want wherever it suits them. It's not a second wave, we haven't dealt with the first yet. Too many selfish people around spoiling it all for the rest of us.
Maybe that's not so surprising ?
Given the advice and evidence that sub 50 yr olds nearly receive a free pass.

oscillatewildly

You have to feel for clubs like Cov RFC ..... but the potential of Wasps imploding just makes it a very interesting time for us
It's the hope that kills you....
I've said it before - As long as there is a RFU there will always be a w*$#s. Regardless of their dire financial circumstances.

CJ_covblaze

It’ll be interesting what happens in a month or so once the NFL returns. That has bigger issues. The country is on it’s knees and the roster sizes are a lot bigger. They’ve had dozens of players opt out including one who is a trained medical doctor. The season will finish with the SuperBowl but it’s anyone’s guess how many games happen beforehand.

Mucca Mad Boys

The lower levels of rugby are still two stages away from return back to playing. At a minimum, and best case scenario, rugby won’t be returning until November for me.

Positives: opportunity to get stronger and fitter, and of course watch the Cov games on Saturdays.

Negatives: we all just want a return to normalcy!

Kneeza

The lower levels of rugby are still two stages away from return back to playing. At a minimum, and best case scenario, rugby won’t be returning until November for me.

Positives: opportunity to get stronger and fitter, and of course watch the Cov games on Saturdays.

Negatives: we all just want a return to normalcy!
January earliest.

Mucca Mad Boys

January earliest.

That was the impression we got too, initially. Then talk of these stages and possibility of getting back to rugby by end of October, early November.

With tightening restrictions, I’d be very surprised if that were to happen.

I’m grateful my body has recovered from all the little injuries I have and stuff.

duffer

Rugby league is a more skillful game so could get away without scrums . Union could not manage
I think Boris has a duty to ban premiership Rugby Union for at least 2 years

I think a few people might take issue with that mate! It’s s different game for sure, with a different skill set, but personally RL leaves me cold. Some people hate both codes of course, it’s just a matter of personal taste.

wingy

I think a few people might take issue with that mate! It’s s different game for sure, with a different skill set, but personally RL leaves me cold. Some people hate both codes of course, it’s just a matter of personal taste.
Has he kippered you there duffer?

Otis

Much prefer Union to RL. I find RL very limiting it its play and less tactical and quite repetitive.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Much prefer Union to RL. I find RL very limiting it its play and less tactical and quite repetitive.

It can be but on the whole as a game it flows much more freely. Union spends a lot of time bogged down in rucks,mauls and scrums.

And scrums in the modern age are almost pointless - just an exercise in trying to drag the other team to the floor. So much time is wasted during a game setting a scrum up just for it to collapse instantly and go through the whole rigmarole again.

Kneeza

The lawmakers certainly need to learn the lessons drawn from the contact-limits adopted from the current Premiership 'trial', and for the good of the game, improve on them.
The game has, for too long, majored on dominance in the set-piece (and I say this as someone who played all his rugby in the tight-five).
For me, refs need to learn to referee the scrummage - not try to manage it. They need to concentrate on correct delivery to a static set-piece, and a correct non-foot-up strike in the tunnel. Any deviations should be penalized immediately.
I once read a fairly lengthy dissertation on ball-in-play analysis of both codes. RU was something like 30 percent ball-in-play compared to in the region of double or more that in RL (those figures are from memory, but the proportions are somewhat correct: the RU figure was staggeringly low).
Spectators surely want to see ball-skills, and stretched defences, rather than semi-static brutal attrition occasionally broken by a backs move.
I do.
The RFU doesn't have much time left to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread