Pyro, Smoke Bombs etc - Jimmys Hill (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Morning all.

Does anyone know the laws on these things?
I know that they are illegal IN stadia, but I can't find anything to say they are illegal in general.

The reason I'm asking is that one way of being recognised on the TV is if we had a flare or smoke bomb, or even a few of them Chinese lantern things set off.

Cheers for the help.

MichaelCCFC

Morning all.

Does anyone know the laws on these things?
I know that they are illegal IN stadia, but I can't find anything to say they are illegal in general.

The reason I'm asking is that one way of being recognised on the TV is if we had a flare or smoke bomb, or even a few of them Chinese lantern things set off.

Cheers for the help.

Are u deffo on the Hill Sunday? We can hv a summit meeting to plan for sheff u

L

longjohnskyblue

Whilst the protests are generally peaceful on the hill, the police will probably leave you all well alone and you will be able to "protest" sorry I mean watch the game for free unmolested.

Soon as you get the rent a mob on there with the smoke bombs throwing stuff etc etc guarantee Then the hill will be cordoned off toot suite!

So if you want to watch the game for free (sorry I mean protest) then I suggest do not throw projectiles!

mark82

Nick

Administrator
There is a worry that they could be illegal
I can't see the polie standing by and watching people throw smoke bombs and stuff for a laugh. May as well start setting off rockets and pointing them at the stadium while you are there.

torchomatic

Snipers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

simple_simon

I can't see the polie standing by and watching people throw smoke bombs and stuff for a laugh. May as well start setting off rockets and pointing them at the stadium while you are there.

Who said you would throw anything Nick
The wind is strong on the Hill, the idea would be so stand in the direction of the wind and let the smoke drift over the ground.

I wouldn't recommend throwing fireworks however I'm sure you could pick them up from a lot of shops as the game is reasonably close to bonfire night.
The smoke bombs are small canisters which could be rolled down the hill to a good effect.
Also, Cov fans have been offered 10% off orders from my contact

Nick

Administrator
Would be amazing publicity if they all got arrested though wouldn't it? Lovely and peaceful.

jesus-wept

Looks like the congregating on that hill has been accepted by the authorities but start setting off smoke bombs etc there is bound to be a reaction especially from the police. If you really think throwing smoke bombs is a way forward throw them into the ticket office.

Sky Blue 22

Just don't do it......it is illegal to let off a smoke bomb in a public place - full stop that is the law.

It is not an offence just to carry a smoke bomb or flare outside the stadium, is it?

YES – just carrying a smoke bomb, flare or firework in the area of the football stadium can be an offence if the police can show that you were attempting to enter the ground with it on you. I have seen cases where the police have arrested a fan with a flare as they came out of the train station closest to the ground. The police have argued that as the fan had a ticket for the game, was wearing colors and was with other fans, and was walking in the direction of the ground, that this showed that the fan would have attempted to enter the ground had they not been stopped by the police. That’s not to say that in some cases, the police interpretation of ‘attempting to enter’ shouldn’t be challenged in court, as there must be legal argument that a fan who is stopped at London Bridge Station about to get on a train to a football gound in South London is not ‘attempting to enter’, but the closer the fan is to the ground, the more likely the police will be able to argue that the fan was ‘attempting to enter’.
I won’t be committing an offence if I have a smoke bomb in my pocket in the ground but don’t let it off, will I?
YES – the law is very clear on this point, you don’t have to let it off, just having it on you in the ground is enough for you to be charged with an offence.
I won’t go to prison if I am found with a flare on me, but I don’t let it off, will I?
YES – you may be sent to prison. Recent cases have shown that the courts do not take pity on those found in possession of flares, smoke bombs or fireworks. In fact they are giving severe punishments and fans with no previous convictions are being given 3 months in prison, and on appeal the courts are upholding the 3 months prison sentence. The excuses of “I was just carrying it for a mate” or ‘A mate just gave it to me as we left the ground and i didn’t know what it was” are not being given much credit by the courts. If it is in the fan’s pocket, the fan is guilty and probably will go to prison.
Do the police have the power to stop and search me on the way to the ground to see if I have a smoke bomb, flare of firework on me?
YES – they have powers to stop and search you, and arrest you if they find any of these items on you.

Last edited:

Monners

The police would be likle to stop it as there are plenty who use the area for other non - sporting activities. I know in principle it wold work in regard to awareness raising, but would get a very negative reactoin locally.

Attempting to enter the ground usually consists of having a ticket for the match, which I'm sure all you NOPM campaigners on the hill will not have.
I think letting off smoke bombs on the hill to draw attention to the hill would not be an issue however if they start getting thrown around problems may occur.
Plenty of teams fans in the uk use pyrotechnics regularly Celtic, Liverpool and Palace to name a few

Sky Blue 22

Attempting to enter the ground usually consists of having a ticket for the match, which I'm sure all you NOPM campaigners on the hill will not have.
I think letting off smoke bombs on the hill to draw attention to the hill would not be an issue however if they start getting thrown around problems may occur.
Plenty of teams fans in the uk use pyrotechnics regularly Celtic, Liverpool and Palace to name a few

I dont think fans letting off smoke bombs on the hill will be able to conceal themselves amongst other fans. I would assume it will be clear to see who was the culprit and they would without doubt be arrested.

You mention Celtic fans..... Celtic Football club do not condone the smoke bombs and indeed when the police can locate and identify the culprits they are arrested.

Nick

Administrator

Yes but you would say it is fine as you have been promoting a smoke bomb company in most of your posts ;)

Nick

Administrator
What about laser pens for when it gets dark? Although you probably wouldnt see with the floodlights.

jimmyhillsfanclub

How about we get real planes & fly them into the ground....

...luckily its not yesterday otherwise some politically correct hand-wringer would probably suggest that was in bad taste....

pusbccfc

Cheers for the answers guys.

Probably best to leave it.

Although them Chinese lanterns from poundland wouldn't be a bad shout in the dark.
Although police don't like them, they are fully legal.
But as many have said, best to keep on the right side of the police as they probably could block off the hill.

skybluebeduff

Although them Chinese lanterns from poundland wouldn't be a bad shout in the dark.
But as many have said, best to keep on the right side of the police as they probably could block off the hill.

A few megaphones, a few drums, we'll be heard. ;)

MichaelCCFC

Mate, it's really good you're coming up with ideas and by people joining in we'll work out something really good. Some of the stuff u are suggesting is well worth looking at more - c u sunday!

Users who are viewing this thread