Premier League to have winter break from 19/20 (1 Viewer)

Covstu

not surprised it was inevitable but not sure how they will fit all the games in without having games pretty much Monday through to Friday nevermind the champions league which tends to restart in January.

I think we will eventually see the FA cup drop back earlier in the year and prem teams not participate in the league cup at some stage

ccfcricoh

I was talking about that with a mate the other day... I think I'd rather compete in the top end of championship than get demolished by Man City/Man U and the likes every other week... too much £££

Does make you question the logic though, as there will be the same amount of games to play over the same amount of time so not sure how much impact it will have! (Until they remove the odd cup game like you suggest)
I pay very little attention to the premier league, not even sure I’d even want to get promoted there. I imagine life in the championship would be more enjoyable!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

you are not a real cov fan if you want to limit success. should be ashamed of yourselves

as for winter break,staggering is a good idea, means still footy on both weekends rather than complete shutdown.

SkyblueBazza

Winter break for Premier League clubs in February from 2019-20

So it looks like they're going to give it a go! I don't like it as an idea but as it doesn't affect our football (proper football) i'm not overly fussed!

Wonder what Englands excuse will be in the 2020 Euros now then?! Best get thinking!
It absolutely affects us. The former 'Jewel in the Crown' (FA Cup) 5th round is being shoved to midweek & replays scrapped. All designed to suit the PL clubs. FA Cup is now becoming a formality where the final is virtually always contested between 2 of the big 6. Which kinda ruins it.
Caraboa cup downgraded further too...no more extra-time.

All designed to keep the PL coffers full but give less VFM to the fans. These cups are just an occasional day out somewhere different for the lower league sides now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Corrado

My view might change if we got to the championship but wouldn't "enjoy" watching us get spanked by the City's & Utd's week in & week out.

ccfcricoh

you are not a real cov fan if you want to limit success. should be ashamed of yourselves

as for winter break,staggering is a good idea, means still footy on both weekends rather than complete shutdown.
Staggering is a good idea... and would help fit the fixtures in...

I'd never limit success (im all over a champions league win within 5 years), just think the premiership is pretty shit to watch... would obviously be different if we were in it mind!

covcity4life

Staggering is a good idea... and would help fit the fixtures in...

I'd never limit success (im all over a champions league win within 5 years), just think the premiership is pretty shit to watch... would obviously be different if we were in it mind!

how do we get champions league without prem?

suppose could win fa or league cup then europa league but fuck me you gotta aim to be the best all the time

leicester were best team in england, dont ever stop believing in cov

ccfcricoh

how do we get champions league without prem?

suppose could win fa or league cup then europa league but fuck me you gotta aim to be the best all the time

leicester were best team in england, dont ever stop believing in cov
Yea not easily.... offer me a place in the premier league and I would obviously never turn it down! I just hope we'd be competitive which is getting less and less likely (nothing to do with us, just the way it's going with the top 6 and money distribution)

Don't fancy a season only picking up 11 points like derby is all I'm really saying!

Lots of teams have snuck into prem and done well though:

Burnley!
Bournemouth
Watford
Brighton
Huddersfield
Southampton

covcity4life

Yea not easily.... offer me a place in the premier league and I would obviously never turn it down! I just hope we'd be competitive which is getting less and less likely (nothing to do with us, just the way it's going with the top 6 and money distribution)

Don't fancy a season only picking up 11 points like derby is all I'm really saying!

Burnley!
Bournemouth
Watford
Brighton
Huddersfield
Southampton

so much money in prem now that if cov got there we could be buying players from likes of porto and marseille etc

would be good times!

and if we get relegated hello parachute payments lol

lifeskyblue

so much money in prem now that if cov got there we could be buying players from likes of porto and marseille etc

would be good times!

and if we get relegated hello parachute payments lol

Just like villa and Sunderland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lifeskyblue

We were hanging on...most but not every year. But at the start of every season every club/fan realistically felt they had an opportunity of finishing top 5. And usually an ‘unfashionable’ club got in the mix.
With the exception of Leicester how often has a non ‘top 6’ club done this in the last decade (I realise Southampton finished 6th). Every club outside the ‘top 6’ focuses on avoiding the drop rather than winning the league. Predictable results and many clubs will just be cannon fodder for the elite.
In L1 next season every club will start by looking at how high they will finish and most will believe that with a little luck and fortune they will be challenging for promotion. It will be competitive and unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Burnley!
Bournemouth
Watford
Brighton
Huddersfield
Southampton

They've not 'done well', you can stay up winning a quarter of your games, that is shite.

Huddersfield last season, won 21% of games, scored less than a goal per game and stayed up. Fuck that. Might have been nice for the johnny come lately muffins who turn up there. Southampton won even less!

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

Ozil’s going to love this.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I would love to be back in the Top Flight. We were there for a solid 34 years! Okay, so we got turned over a few times but we also turned the "big boys" over a few times as well.
For me, it's the prestige and enjoyment of watching us play top teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc. And on the other side of the coin there's the opportunity to watch the skills of some great top players actually in the flesh. I remember seeing great players such as George Best, Ian Wright, Ian Rush etc, etc actually just yards away from me. It's a great feeling! The Championship would be a great achievement if we could get there, but the Premier League for me, is the aim all the way.

Otis

I would love to be back in the Top Flight. We were there for a solid 34 years! Okay, so we got turned over a few times but we also turned the "big boys" over a few times as well.
For me, it's the prestige and enjoyment of watching us play top teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc. And on the other side of the coin there's the opportunity to watch the skills of some great top players actually in the flesh. I remember seeing great players such as George Best, Ian Wright, Ian Rush etc, etc actually just yards away from me. It's a great feeling! The Championship would be a great achievement if we could get there, but the Premier League for me, is the aim all the way.
Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread