Pre-season (1 Viewer)

ms639

While I'm aware it can be naive to assess pre-season results as a guide to how we will begin our season, is anybody else not massively concerned by our inability to be clinical against what is ultimately very poor opposition.

So far we have scored 2 goals in 5 games and not won 1. While pre season is ultimately a time for experimentation you'd like to think that players would be doing their utmost to impress and put in good performances to get their names on the team sheet for the start of the season. A lack of results even in friendlies eradicates any sort of winning mentality and while I am more optimistic for this season than i have been any other since we have been in the third tier, I can't help but be dismayed by our pre season campaign.

Would like to get some insight from anyone who has been to any of the games, I went to Nuneaton and I seriously hope that some of the performances atleast were better than that

oakey

Am I concerned about PSF results and form? No.

Am I concerned the team and squad are not coming together in time for a positive start? Yes

Do I think a positive start is important? Yes

Do I trust TM to get a team sorted in due course? Yes, but it may be too little too late for this season.

This is realism, not moaning or doom and gloom.

lifeskyblue

I am not concerned about the results, lack of goals or even style of play during pre season. What does concern me is in the final game the team appeared (from all reports) to be woeful; lacking idea, ability and some remarked commitment. I think even TM realised this wasn't acceptable and was v downbeat after the game. I know all teams have bad games where nothing seems to go right but in the friendly before the first competitive game TM clearly expected a lot more from the players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covboy1987

While I'm aware it can be naive to assess pre-season results as a guide to how we will begin our season, is anybody else not massively concerned by our inability to be clinical against what is ultimately very poor opposition.

So far we have scored 2 goals in 5 games and not won 1. While pre season is ultimately a time for experimentation you'd like to think that players would be doing their utmost to impress and put in good performances to get their names on the team sheet for the start of the season. A lack of results even in friendlies eradicates any sort of winning mentality and while I am more optimistic for this season than i have been any other since we have been in the third tier, I can't help but be dismayed by our pre season campaign.

Would like to get some insight from anyone who has been to any of the games, I went to Nuneaton and I seriously hope that some of the performances atleast were better than that

Do not think the results mean anything but what is disturbing the quality of the opposition we have faced as been pretty poor in terms of league standings - Wigan who we play on Saturday started off playing mediocre teams and then increased the quality of the opposition- however see below there results have not been good

TUE 14 JUL
altrincham40.png
Altrincham
Pre-Season Friendly**
AAtt. 880D
1-1
PHOTOS
HIGHLIGHTS
SAT 18 JUL
Southport40.png
Southport
Pre-Season Friendly**
AAtt. 1,835W
0-2
PHOTOS
HIGHLIGHTS
TUE 21 JUL
partickthistle40.png
Partick Thistle
Pre-Season Friendly**
AAtt. 1,355D
1-1
PHOTOS
HIGHLIGHTS
FRI 24 JUL
dundee40.png
Dundee
Pre-Season Friendly**
AAtt. 2,455L
1-0
SAT 01 AUG
blackburn40.png
Blackburn Rovers
Pre-season Friendly**
AAtt. 3,504L
3-0

rupert_bear

Think Wigan have only won one friendly against high flying Southport and they were in the Premiership less than 2 years ago ! Looks like Saturday is a nailed on 0-0.

skybluetony176

How often do preseasons count for anything once the season starts? Let's get the first half dozen games out the way before we start judging anything.

BlueElephant

You mean 10.

People really need to calm down on here and set themselves realistic expectations.

I was comparing the amount of pre-season games we played. As in if we return the same amount of points even I being the most optimistic of fans will be worrying. PS results mean absolutely nothing, mainly because they lack the tenacity and passion compared to a competitive match.

Gint11

Should have stopped there, where the red stops!

Ashdown

It's just an opinion from the OP and it's valid as they all are. The warning signs are ominous at the moment, even Mowbray recognizes the issues.........thing is, has he got the resources and persuasive power to resolve them before the end of August ? We're all hoping he has !

Users who are viewing this thread