Pre-Season Friendlies? - L1 Title Celebration? (1 Viewer)

edgy

Would be nice for us to allowed to play some pre-season games at the CBSS this summer. Can't remember the last time. I don't really understand why we haven't in the recent past unless our rent term didn't have provision for them.

League 1 Title Celebration. It's been mentioned on a couple of other threads but maybe efforts and ideas could be collated here, in the hope someone picks up on it and runs with it.

robbiethemole

Would be nice for us to allowed to play some pre-season games at the CBSS this summer. Can't remember the last time. I don't really understand why we haven't in the recent past unless our rent term didn't have provision for them.

League 1 Title Celebration. It's been mentioned on a couple of other threads but maybe efforts and ideas could be collated here, in the hope someone picks up on it and runs with it.
one for skybluepete or mark82?

rob9872

Too late i think now, especially as half the squad at least will have had nothing to do with the title and many of those who did will have moved on. A family day with a fun training session put on there would be better, especially as there was no Christmas Party. Be nice for any new guys to feel part of it too.

SleepyGinger

I’m sure they said they are doing work on the pitch over the summer, don’t think we will be having any friendlies there unfortunately.

edgy

Too late i think now, especially as half the squad at least will have had nothing to do with the title and many of those who did will have moved on. A family day with a fun training session put on there would be better, especially as there was no Christmas Party. Be nice for any new guys to feel part of it too.

As @SBAndy has said, it doesn't have to be the title winning squad playing a friendly. Just invite the ones that arn't with us anymore to come and parade the trophy at half time.

Title winning squad members parade the trophy before the game or at HT, soak up the wild adulation of an capacity CBSS crowd.
Current Squad play their friendly and the ones that wern't part of the title winning squad can step to one side or go and meet the crowd or whatever.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Preseason friendlies as a spectacle can be drab at the best of times, nevermind home friendlies. The only thing that makes them interesting is going to new grounds you haven’t been to before.... but you’re right it would be great to mark the L1 Title someway.

I’m gutted that we missed the away friendly vs Rangers at Ibrox. I hope that can be reorganised again for another date so that we can have a good trip up to Glasgae.

chiefdave

Unless we're playing a 'name' then playing a pre-season game at the Ricoh with about 1K people there isn't going to be great. Would rather do what we have done the last few years and play at Nuneaton. Small crowd in there and you can still have a decent atmosphere.

Shame the Butts pitch is artificial, would be good for a pre-season game otherwise.

Bugsy

It came up at the supporters forum and it was felt the time had passed and everything had moved on. I think on balance that’s my opinion too.

no disrespect but in my view i have never seen Cov win the league before so if no celebrations thru pre season I will be celebrating like mad 1st game back...PUSB

Sky Blue Pete

no disrespect but in my view i have never seen Cov win the league before so if no celebrations thru pre season I will be celebrating like mad 1st game back...PUSB
Oh no disrespect back and I should have added what does everyone else think??

edgy

Personally think it should still be celebrated. Fans and players were denied the chance. It could be a generation until we win another title of any description.

Can only see positives from it.

- Give the players a real boost before the season starts
- Give the new players a taste of what has been achieved and what it means to the players/fans
- Good PR with the players that have left. They were part of the journey. They may pass on good reviews to their new peers.
- Possible media coverage, showing club in a positive light again
- Show the young generation of CCFC fans a glimpse of what success feels like in the flesh. Not many can say they watched their team lift a title trophy.
- Tie it in with a big named pre-season friendly, make some ticket, merch, F&B money.

Last edited:

edgy

Anyway regardless I found this from Big Dave B.

“We had hoped to stage a big pre-season game and had one lined up but unfortunately that’s not going to be possible because of the work that needs to be done on the pitch,” he said.

Although Boddy wouldn't reveal who the opposition was that they'd lined up, an educated guess would point to newly crowned Scottish Premiership Champions Rangers, given the fact that the Sky Blues played them up at Ibrox last summer, sparking a good relationship between the two clubs.

“There needs to be a proper renovation of the pitch this summer and we need the window to do that, so I suspect the first game on the pitch next summer will be the first league game"

Come on Dave. Get the stripey fuckers to pull their fingers out and get a pitch sorted for 2 weeks before the season.

Bugsy

Sky Blue Pete

Personally think it should still be celebrated. Fans and players were denied the chance. It could be a generation until we win another title of any description.

- Give the new players a taste of what has been achieved and what it means to the players/fans
- Good PR with the players that have left. They were part of the journey. They may pass on good reviews to their new peers.
- Show the young generation of CCFC fans a glimpse of what success feels like in the flesh. Not many can say they watched their team lift a title trophy.
- Tie it in with a big named pre-season friendly, make some ticket, merch, F&B money.
Some great ideas in there edgy fabulous stuff

Sky Blue Pete

Have shared this with the club. Still feel time has moved on but you really do make some excellent points

Grendel

Have shared this with the club. Still feel time has moved on but you really do make some excellent points

I think it’s a good idea to be honest. Integrate in the city of culture thing - get robins on the networking Champions thing Adam Dent chairs every month - get the club profile raised and celebrate success

Bugsy

Never asked - why does it have this name?

In recent times it has been used as a derogatory term, suggesting people from Nuneaton are thick like treacle.

There is also the theory that Nuneaton is called ‘Treacle Town’ because no-one ever leaves, they are literally stuck in the town like treacle.

But historian Peter Lee has another theory.

“All I can say is that nuneaton operates at a slow pace,” he said

shepardo01

I’m sure they said they are doing work on the pitch over the summer, don’t think we will be having any friendlies there unfortunately.
I'm sure that I read, when the official news broke, that pre season games were included as part of the deal.
Traditionally, even when at HR, most pre season games were away at lower league clubs, with one more attractive fixture scheduled at home the week before the season started......

Sky Blue Pete

They'd have to ask Hull City if they could borrow the trophy!!
Reply from Tynan

This is something we have discussed many times internally along with all the if’s but’s and maybe’s that surround Covid. I also believe it has been touched upon in previous Supporters Groups meetings. There is a lot to consider outside of any Covid restrictions. While we are seeing Covid restrictions lifted/relaxed there still doesn’t seem to be a very clear, obvious and logical process from the government. Outdoor gatherings are still limited to 30 people (after 17 May) being the biggest hurdle at present. This is something that still couldn’t happen ‘yet’ and in pre-season players that have left will have moved on to their new clubs and would be near impossible to get them back for an official CCFC event.

It’s not a ‘no’ as such - there’s a lot to consider and plan and get approval on.

Bless him - Tynan replied. I think it’s a watch this space. I often think my opinion is too open to others opinions but edgy made some really well thought out reasons for trying. Let’s see how opening up goes and what’s possible

Users who are viewing this thread