Potential new BCFC stadium at NEC for Commonwealth Games (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Sure there was already a thread for this but I can't find it.

Birminghams bid for the Commonwealth Games has taken a step forward as its been chosen as the preferred UK bid. Part of the bid will include a new stadium, either in the city centre or at the NEC. Will then be used by Birmingham City after the games.

If its at the NEC does a permanent groundshare with Brum become an option?

Wasn't it 9 miles from the council house for it to be OK with the authorities. The A45 / M42 roundabout which where the NEC complex starts is 8.9 miles. No problems with trains and thousands of parking spaces.

Nick

Administrator
Wouldn't Birmingham also be moving a few miles out of Birmingham to get there?

This sounds a bit like the West Ham ground situation with it built for the Olympics.

chiefdave

Would indeed. Seems there's 3 sites for a new stadium (NEC, the old wheels site and a site in Digbeth) or and huge revamp of the Alex Stadium.

Joy Division

There is not going to be a new stadium, they are using an upgraded Alexander Stadium for the games.

oucho

This sounds a bit like the West Ham ground situation with it built for the Olympics.
In fairness West Ham only moved a couple of miles, just one tube stop on the Jubillee line from West Ham itself. 9 miles would be a lot further and it would be in Birmingham, not Cov. So for that reason, it feels like a non-starter to me.

chiefdave

There is not going to be a new stadium, they are using an upgraded Alexander Stadium for the games.
When was that decided, I've only seen references to multiple possible sites as part of a bid? I know UK Athletics wanted the Alex but weren't going to fund it. Be interesting to see how they're going to fund it seeing without money from UK Athletics and the council also saying they won't put money in.

oucho

When was that decided, I've only seen references to multiple possible sites as part of a bid? I know UK Athletics wanted the Alex but weren't going to fund it. Be interesting to see how they're going to fund it seeing without money from UK Athletics and the council also saying they won't put money in.
Maybe Mr Byng's mysterious Chinese investors could step in......

Joy Division

The council are totally behind a refurbished Alexander Stadium and from as far as I'm aware for this bid this has been the only viable option for hosting the games.

Request Rejected

chiefdave

The council are totally behind a refurbished Alexander Stadium and from as far as I'm aware for this bid this has been the only viable option for hosting the games.
They're behind it but they aren't paying for it. They have previously stated local taxpayers money will not be used, UK Athletics aren't paying for it either so who is?

The NEC definitely was being seen as a viable option earlier in the year. Got dragged to an event about the future of the NEC and surrounding site earlier in the year and a new stadium for the Commonwealth Games / BCFC featured prominently.

Good news for us if its now off the table, removes the temptation for Joy to mess around for a few more years in the hope we can move there.

Joy Division

The decision to award the bid to Birmingham was on the back of a visit from the assessment committee of the Commonwealth Games Federation and the Department of Culture, Media and Sport based on their plans for the Alexander Stadium proposal. This is also including major regeneration of the Perry Barr area in the area of the stadium.

chiefdave

Good stuff, one less way for SISU to screw us over.

Will be interesting to find out who is funding the work at the Alex as its always been a non-starter when its been looked at in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the taxpayer despite what the council have promised.

Joy Division

As far as I'm aware the Council will be putting money into it, they already own the Alex stadium but the wider opportunities the upgraded complex will give to the community will be seen as a future asset.

ccfcway

As far as I'm aware the Council will be putting money into it, they already own the Alex stadium but the wider opportunities the upgraded complex will give to the community will be seen as a future asset.

with them selling it on a few years later to a rugby union team from the south ?

Joy Division

with them selling it on a few years later to a rugby union team from the south ?

Perhaps

A spokesperson for Birmingham's bid said a bigger and smarter Alexander Stadium would be a "health and well-being" centre for the local community, a training base for British athletes and a world-class venue for concerts and conferences.

They also said talks were ongoing with "football and rugby teams" about a professional team becoming an anchor tenant and the venue would also play a part in Birmingham's plan to become a "city of running".

Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games bid: Revamped Alexander Stadium WON'T be a white elephant

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

Looking at google Coventry City centre is nearer to the NEC than birmingham city center.
MetLife stadium in New York is double the distance from New York than NEC is from Coventry. 11 miles, if there is a chance to share then I say look at it and see if it's feasible.

rupert_bear

Why would BCFC move from Dt Andrews ? A ground within walking distance from the city centre and unable to fill anywhere near its capacity

NortonSkyBlue

Why would BCFC move from Dt Andrews ? A ground within walking distance from the city centre and unable to fill anywhere near its capacity
Because like Man City they could end up with a world class facility for very little outlay.
South Birmingham is their stronghold and although they are as attached to St. Andrews as we were to HR it may be a brilliant opportunity, just like it could be for us.

Grendel

Looking at google Coventry City centre is nearer to the NEC than birmingham city center.
MetLife stadium in New York is double the distance from New York than NEC is from Coventry. 11 miles, if there is a chance to share then I say look at it and see if it's feasible.

It's unfortunate it won't happen the NEC would be a perfect venue

Skyblueweeman

agreed. Never gonna happen. its like Wasps relocating from London or Warwickshire Bears now becoming Birmingham Bears

Fair point but the others have changed their names...London Wasps became Wasps and Warks Bears became Brum Bears. Would we become Coventry Birmingham FC?

Like I said, can't see any truth in this.

Irish Sky Blue

Wouldn't we become tenants in the new stadium just like we are at the Ricoh. I would think a move out of the City to the NEC would really split the fan base even more

Hobo

Lost interest as soon as you mentioned an American example.

Hobo

Fair point but the others have changed their names...London Wasps became Wasps and Warks Bears became Brum Bears. Would we become Coventry Birmingham FC?

Like I said, can't see any truth in this.

And Moseley RFC have become Birmingham Moseley RFC to increase marketing potential.

Users who are viewing this thread