Poppy appeal (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

I rarely start threads but something has infuriated me today !

I was told by someone that apparently a third of youngsters are shunning wearing a poppy, I Googled it and it appears correct.

WTF ??? Some of these self entitled little shits just don't have a clue about proper hardship and what people and families sacrificed so they can have the country and lives they obviously take for granted.

What on earth are they being taught at schools ???

I'm struggling for words. Rant over !

Sick Boy

It's someone choice whether to wear one or not. I don't wear one personally but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and understand the sacrifice that those before us made.

oldmangroom

1. Surely it’s not compulsory?
2. I’ve just spent the past week teaching Flanders Field and all the PSHE that goes with it, there’s nothing in the curriculum that suggests it should be compulsory.
3. Slight tangent, but why should it be left to the school to decide?
4. Statistically, a young person is most influenced in their family or social surroundings - perhaps it’s there where they are making their own decisions.
5. Nothing to add, just wanted to put a number 5 so it auto creates another 5 point list article for the CT.

CCFCSteve

I have to say I disagree though Sick Boy. Wearing one (and making a donation) shows the people who have made the ultimate sacrifice that you do appreciate what they've done.

Of course it's everyone's own choice (we live in a free country) but if everyone had the same attitude then those people and their families would (quite rightly/understandibly) think that nobody gives a toss and appreciates what they did for us and the country

CCFCSteve

1. Surely it’s not compulsory?
2. I’ve just spent the past week teaching Flanders Field and all the PSHE that goes with it, there’s nothing in the curriculum that suggests it should be compulsory.
3. Slight tangent, but why should it be left to the school to decide?
4. Statistically, a young person is most influenced in their family or social surroundings - perhaps it’s there where they are making their own decisions.
5. Nothing to add, just wanted to put a number 5 so it auto creates another 5 point list article for the CT.

I didn't say it's compulsory, just that it's pretty sad that such a large number of the younger generation have taken that stance

It was a genuine question about what they are learning about the wars/sacrifices at school and what poppy stands for. Of course it's up to the parents as well.

pastythegreat

I rarely start threads but something has infuriated me today !

I was told by someone that apparently a third of youngsters are shunning wearing a poppy, I Googled it and it appears correct.

WTF ??? Some of these self entitled little shits just don't have a clue about proper hardship and what people and families sacrificed so they can have the country and lives they obviously take for granted.

What on earth are they being taught at schools ???

I'm struggling for words. Rant over !
You're not a Jeremy Cornyn supporter then?

Personally I'd say figures were a lot higher than a 3rd. For instance, I work in a factory along with around 120 people on my shift and can say I've only seen around 15ish of those wearing a poppy. Obviously I can't talk for all of them as I don't see people coming in and out so some may have them on coats and such but it's still in the minority I'd say.
Apart from on Rememberance Sunday I bet you could walk round any Town or City counting, and I'd put money on there being more people without poppies than with!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I have to say I disagree though Sick Boy. Wearing one (and making a donation) shows the people who have made the ultimate sacrifice that you do appreciate what they've done.

Of course it's everyone's own choice (we live in a free country) but if everyone had the same attitude then those people and their families would (quite rightly/understandibly) think that nobody gives a toss and appreciates what they did for us and the country

Why does only wearing one show you are appreciative? I've been over and visited the battlefields in France and Belgium out of choice to pay my respects. My Irish great-grandfather also fought for the British army in WW1.

Sick Boy

You're not a Jeremy Cornyn supporter then?

Personally I'd say figures were a lot higher than a 3rd. For instance, I work in a factory along with around 120 people on my shift and can say I've only seen around 15ish of those wearing a poppy. Obviously I can't talk for all of them as I don't see people coming in and out so some may have them on coats and such but it's still in the minority I'd say.
Apart from on Rememberance Sunday I bet you could walk round any Town or City counting, and I'd put money on there being more people without poppies than with!

I've just seen a group of young teenagers out selling poppies.

CJ_covblaze

I wear one all year round on my suits. When I see someone with medals I say thank you. Get looked at by some people strangely sometimes when I do it. Sad really.

pastythegreat

Well done them! I don't understand what that has to do with my post about more people not wearing poppies than people who Are though! I'm not generalizing teenagers/young people for not wearing poppies. I'm talking about the nation as a whole! There are more people who don't wear them than that do! Young or old

CCFCSteve

That's good to hear.

My point earlier is that I think it's a small price to pay (a small donation and way of demonstrating that appreciation). If nobody wore a poppy and nobody donated then how would you feel if you either served or had family members who served, were killed or were seriously injured in the war ?

America has numerous issues but I personally think their appreciation of their armed forces is something to be admired. These aren't people who decide what war to fight but who still pay the ultimate price

Sick Boy

That's good to hear.

My point earlier is that I think it's a small price to pay (a small donation and way of demonstrating that appreciation). If nobody wore a poppy and nobody donated then how would you feel if you either served or had family members who served, were killed or were seriously injured in the war ?

America has numerous issues but I personally think their appreciation of their armed forces is something to be admired. These aren't people who decide what war to fight but who still pay the ultimate price

As I said, my great grandfather served in WW1 but it's people choice whether to wear one or not.

pastythegreat

As I said, my great grandfather served in WW1 but it's people choice whether to wear one or not.
Yes, it is a choice, but how many young men had a choice but to leave their families and go half way around the world and fight and die for their countries. And therefore giving you that choice today??

Sick Boy

Yes, it is a choice, but how many young men had a choice but to leave their families and go half way around the world and fight and die for their countries. And therefore giving you that choice today??

I don't really see your point. Should it be compulsory to wear one?

pastythegreat

I don't really see your point. Should it be compulsory to wear one?
I think making it compulsory is a bit of a strong statement! I think that maybe better education as to why we wear them and the meaning behind them and making people feel as though they want to wear them.
I think it should be compulsory for people on the public eye to wear them, sports personalities, tv presenters, politicians (including Jeremy Corbyn) etc.

Sick Boy

I think making it compulsory is a bit of a strong statement! I think that maybe better education as to why we wear them and the meaning behind them and making people feel as though they want to wear them.
I think it should be compulsory for people on the public eye to wear them, sports personalities, tv presenters, politicians (including Jeremy Corbyn) etc.

You should tell that to some of the people who actually served in WW2 and refused/refuse to wear one. Some of them claimed they would do if they only represented WW1 and 2.

Johnnythespider

If they made it compulsory I definitely wouldn't wear one, I buy one to support the British legion and its work but don't always wear it as the remembrance police are politicizing it. Corbyn's name has already been mentioned in this thread.

Astute

NorthernWisdom

It's someone choice whether to wear one or not. I don't wear one personally but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and understand the sacrifice that those before us made.
I resent being compelled to make a public display of appreciation.

Given world war 1 was a futile conflict provoked by politicians, I can appreciate the sacrifice if people but abhor the war... and also abhor how *some* decide to appropriate the poppy symbol.

It never used to feel such an obligation to wear one. To me it feels like the meaning is being lost in the debate over the act. Therefore I won't wear one.

Now that view us my personal one and I shouldnt have to justify it really, any more than those who choose to mark with respect should have to justify their choice.

Users who are viewing this thread