Police walking into peoples houses (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Saw it on the news about the police in Coventry walking into unlocked houses and taking pictures and tweeting them.

While it is good to make people aware, I don't think that is the right way to go about it.

What would happen if somebody is in the shower or something and they didn't hear the door and they come down to find a couple of PCSOs stood there. Alternatively what if they were to get bitten by a dog or something?

Covrock

This could really bite the Police on the arse. Householder suddenly realises that there was a £100 on the coffee table and the only people who have been in there were Plastic Cops. Also, do they stay at the property till its secured? Only good thing about this? People are talking about it.

Nick

Administrator
This could really bite the Police on the arse. Householder suddenly realises that there was a £100 on the coffee table and the only people who have been in there were Plastic Cops. Also, do they stay at the property till its secured? Only good thing about this? People are talking about it.

Yep exactly, somebody sees their picture and says stuff has gone missing. Picture of PCSO in their house.

I don't think they were staying at the property either. Just taking the picture then going.

What happens if somebody has headphones on and doesn't hear the door. Then all they see is somebody walk into their house.

stupot07

I'm sure they did this before about 10 years ago around , but left post it notes around the house as there was no Twitter back then. It was done on the back of a spate of burglaries where people were getting in open and unlocked doors in the day and stealing stuff, whilst people where sat watching tv, etc.

I think it's a pretty good tactic, you can knock on the door and advise them to shut/lock it, but it wouldn't have the same effect.

The problem is covrock, the householder wouldn't know who's been in the house, that's the point - the house isn't secure and anyone couldn't have walking in and talked that £100 without notice before the police came in and took photos unnoticed. I imagine they do it in pairs so there is a witness that they didn't take anything.

Like you said, people are talking about it. And make sure you keep your doors locked, when you're in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I'm sure they did this before about 10 years ago around , but left post it notes around the house as there was no Twitter back then. It was done on the back of a spate of burglaries where people were getting in open and unlocked doors in the day and stealing stuff, whilst people where sat watching tv, etc.

I think it's a pretty good tactic, you can knock on the door and advise them to shut/lock it, but it wouldn't have the same effect.

The problem is covrock, the householder wouldn't know who's been in the house, that's the point - the house isn't secure and anyone couldn't have walking in and talked that £100 without notice before the police came in and took photos unnoticed. I imagine they do it in pairs so there is a witness that they didn't take anything.

Like you said, people are talking about it. And make sure you keep your doors locked, when you're in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

They would know the police had been in if they saw their house on Twitter!

stupot07

Last time they did it with the post it notes (my mate was a copper in cov back then), they sneaked in the unlocked/open back door, went around the house and planted the post it notes, then went around to the front door and knocked, then told the householder they had been in. And the householders were shocked at the post its and that someone had managed to get in and walk around the house without them noticing whilst the families were sat watching tv in the front room. I would be very surprised if the pcso's didn't do the same, before getting permission to post it on Twitter.

Nick

Administrator
Something happened by me a few years ago and police were searching the area, there was a police man and police dog in my back garden. I have a sign that says there are dogs in the house / garden.

What would have happened if my dogs were out in that situation?

Nick

Administrator
Last time they did it with the post it notes (my mate was a copper in cov back then), they sneaked in the unlocked/open back door, went around the house and planted the post it notes, then went around to the front door and knocked, then told the householder they had been in. And the householders were shocked at the post its and that someone had managed to get in and walk around the house without them noticing whilst the families were sat watching tv in the front room. I would be very surprised if the pcso's didn't do the same, before getting permission to post it on Twitter.

While people are in it is worse, what happens if somebody walks into a different room and instinctively whacks one of them without time to think because a stranger is stood in their house? What happens if they walk into a room and they have 2 rottweilers that bite them?

I don't think it's on for the police to just wander in, yes if somebody has done something wrong then kick the door in but not to try and prove a point.

stupot07

While people are in it is worse, what happens if somebody walks into a different room and instinctively whacks one of them without time to think because a stranger is stood in their house?

I don't think it's on for the police to just wander in, yes if somebody has done something wrong then kick the door in but not to try and prove a point.

Fair enough Nick, I really don't care enough about it to get into a debate about it. :)

Nick

Administrator
Fair enough Nick, I really don't care enough about it to get into a debate about it. :)

They could be doing proper things like solving crimes, taking statements from people who have been a victim that never hear back from the police :)

skybluesam1987

What happens if they wander in and find something that shouldn't be there? They've entered without a warrant and without due cause. Is the evidence they've stumbled upon now inadmissible? They used to say and Englishman's home was his castle. There are just so many things to ponder with this.

NorthernWisdom

They could be doing proper things like solving crimes, taking statements from people who have been a victim that never hear back from the police :)

Point being they're trying to prevent crime, and if they do that then they aren't wasting as much time taking statements on crimes that could easily have been avoided, so their manpower can be focussed on others better so they do hear back.

mechaishida

One thing we can agree on, the Police never, EVER get it quite right. I can see the merit in what they're doing, I.E. prevention and awareness etc, but it's a daft misuse of manpower, imo.

PCSO's or whatever they're called these days, are increasingly ever-present and escalating in numbers to replace full PC's or merely add numbers to a particular Police force. It's not exactly encouraging, since a qualified SIA badge holder could easily perform their duties.

chiefdave

What happens if someone thinks they are getting burgled and whacks them with the first thing that comes to hand? I get the idea but think there's better ways to approach this.

Otis

What happens if someone thinks they are getting burgled and whacks them with the first thing that comes to hand? I get the idea but think there's better ways to approach this.
But surely we've all wanted an excuse to whack a copper haven't we?

Nick

Administrator
Point being they're trying to prevent crime, and if they do that then they aren't wasting as much time taking statements on crimes that could easily have been avoided, so their manpower can be focussed on others better so they do hear back.

I can understand the thought behind it, just don't think it actually works like that. Will it actually prevent much crime?

Otis

Can't just walk into our house anyway. You always have to use a key, even if the door isn't locked.

mechaishida

Imagine if, during one of these Police 'exercises', you see the coppers downstairs and jokingly put a balaclava on...

...would they see the funny side? Probably not.

SkyblueBazza

Let's take bets on what happens next...
1. PCOs attacked after entering someones home
2. Bogus PCOs on burglary spree
3. (Enter your suggestion here)

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread