PLEASE NOT CURLE!.... heres why.. (1 Viewer)

Pusb1

had a quick glace at Wiki... and this is what i've learned about curle
Relegated in his first management job at Mansfield. Allegations he "bullied a youth team player" so was then sacked.
Took over at Chester where a bright start turned into them losing 11 out of 12 games so was sacked after only 9 months.
Took over at Torquay and sacked after relegating them.
Sacked at Notts County after never fulfilling their fans or boards expectations.

now to be honest. this evidence does not fill me with confidence. certainly not a manager with a willing mentality!.... hope these rumours of him being our next manager are completely unfounded! we need a winner and a leader. curle is neither!

@richh87

Yep, please for God's sake not Curle. Black please - we may as well get some goals and be entertained while going out of existence.

WillieStanley

I can't believe that Curle comes anywhere close to fitting our criteria. For once, Black is more likely.

There is no-one on the shortlist or even in the running that i actually want. Curle is awful, Dickov is crap, Black did well 10 YEARS AGO! Paulo Di Canio, Steven Pressley or Steve Lomas are the only people i would want here, but they arent even in the running. SISU, please, just go, go far far away from here and never come back

pusbccfc

Some of our players need bullying. Might sort them out a-bit...
Seriously; crowds will dwindle and season ticket sales will drop massively.

torchomatic

I'm not too inspired about Black either but rather him than Curle. God help us!

Otis

Yep. Agree.

Think Black could be a retrograde step, but of the names bandied about like Dickov, Phil Brown (shudder), Curle etc. I would have to plump for Eric Black.

SkyblueBazza

Just take a reality check folks!

WE have no confirmation from the Club, nor any individual (& I'd be surprised if the bookies or media have either), as to who has or has not applied. It is all pure speculation. True...someone will make the correct educated guess...& there is often no smoke without fire...some of these people might well have applied...but even being seen at the ground pre-interviews could mean someone has expressed interest, wants to know more & has been invited to have a look around & chat...nothing formal - so NOT an interview!

So hold onto your hats...Keep Calm & watch this space!

M

Martw

Well, logic would dictate that it has to be an out of work Manager, I would be very surprised given the current financial state of the business that we would pay for somebody elses manager!

I cannot see what Curle's record does to even shortlist him, let alone appoint the man? - but many would say the same of all of the other names mentioned with the possible exception of Sherwood, wo being a rookie hasnt failed anywhere yet!

IF Curle is appointed, I would imagine that would be met with dismay by the majority, not all of course but most I would guess and sadly including me!

torchomatic

My thoughts exactly. I can't get excited over someone who was here a decade ago, "unfinished business" or not. However, I'd rather have him than the others and it would be a good bit of PR from SISU too, I would imagine. Personally he's not mine, but he does seem to be the fans' choice.

Yep. Agree.

Think Black could be a retrograde step, but of the names bandied about like Dickov, Phil Brown (shudder), Curle etc. I would have to plump for Eric Black.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I can't get excited over someone who was here a decade ago, "unfinished business" or not. However, I'd rather have him than the others and it would be a good bit of PR from SISU too, I would imagine. Personally he's not mine, but he does seem to be the fans' choice.
Exactly. Football has changed over he past 10 years. I dont see the logic in appointing Black. Curle had an ok record at Notts, Dickov took over an already low team and ragged them even lower. Brown did good at 1 club and f*cked up how many other? Theres no 1 outstanding candidate on thats shortlist. Whoever comes in will get my backing and i hope, everyone else's, but i wont expect promotion or play-offs. Theres a big differance in support and expectancy

skyblue46

Just had a quick browse on internet at Keith Curle's stats for Notts County and there doesnt seem to be much wrong with them? He took over them early last year when they were 12th and only missed out on Play offs by goal difference last season, they smashed a club record of unbeaten away from home which ended on 22 games which is a fantastic record to have. His overall win rate was 41% and his win / draw ratio was 76% during his time in charge? 2nd best stats of the previous 8 Notts County managers and the best was Cotterill which was all in League 2? I know when we played them earlier in the season they played us off the park and were pretty impressive and a good passing side. We need to wait until an announement is made as we have no definite facts to say Keith Curle has even had an interview or is down to the last few people left in the running. I expect a decision to be made this week though.......I wouldnt mind Keith Curle at all but i must admit the shortlist is not very appealing

Nonleagueherewecome

There's something like a 7 year gap between his early postings at Mansfield/Chester and Notts C. He's worked under Warnock for years and proved himself to be a lot more savvy at Notts C than the young manager that failed. Not saying I particularly want him, just don't think he should be judged on ancient history. He's probably about the best we're gonna get!

skyblue46

I agree. We should only judge on him his most recent management stats and not those from over 7 years ago as like you say he has worked under Warnock since then for 5 or 6 years before taking the Notts County job and doing well looking at his stats....being sacked by Notts County we shouldnt look into that much as they hve had 10 managers in past 3 or 4 seasons or something silly like that

Otis

There's something like a 7 year gap between his early postings at Mansfield/Chester and Notts C. He's worked under Warnock for years and proved himself to be a lot more savvy at Notts C than the young manager that failed. Not saying I particularly want him, just don't think he should be judged on ancient history. He's probably about the best we're gonna get!

Especially if it is out of Dickov, Curle and Brown.

Mucca Mad Boys

Especially if it is out of Dickov, Curle and Brown.

If any of them become manager, I can't see myself getting a ST, unless results dramatically improved. I don't rate any of them, in particular Brown, he's fucking joke!

Otis

Brown is a joke. Some of things he has done are plain embarrassing and he's had no success for over 4 years. It's all been pretty much downhill since he took Hull up.

Mucca Mad Boys

Brown is a joke. Some of things he has done are plain embarrassing and he's had no success for over 4 years. It's all been pretty much downhill since he took Hull up.

If we got him, I'm definitely not getting a ST. Did an ok job at Hull, that's it.

skyblue46

Out of the 3 which have been mentioned from Brown, Curle and Dickov i would definitely be happiest with Curle.

Brown is just an embarrassment and i would hate it if we appointed him.

Dickov done a pretty to rubbish job at Oldham

Curle done a good job at Notts County even though his previous management stats arent great i would rather judge him on his most recent stuff which to me is pretty decent.

Whoever does the get the job will get my full support as i support the club and always will want them to win but be a lot happier with Curle over the other 2! But we do not even know if these 3 are the final shortlist so we will have to wait and see. Watch this space

SkyblueBazza

I would say why bother judging any of this imaginary short-list?
Different clubs, staff, players - only even begin to judge whoever is appointed after 12 games.

Astute

Yep, please for God's sake not Curle. Black please - we may as well get some goals and be entertained while going out of existence.

But Curle is Black.....or even Brown for the incorrect term :whistle:

Astute

I was living the other side of the Humber bridge whilst Brown was manager of Hull. He did well with his squad, but as soon as he lost the dressing room that was the end of it all. I worked with lots of Hull fans. A lot of them were unhappy with him after only a few months. Made strange decisions frequently. Got away with it whilst they were winning. But everything collapsed quite quickly. Would be time to give up if he got the managers position.

Has anyone got any idea why not even smaller clubs will take him on even when he applies?

Jack's Dad

Curle showed no respect to us when he picked that scum bag hughes to come on as a sub against us earlier in the season...
I DO NOT want him at our club.....

rupert_bear

Why this anti Keith Curle fury ? He's a new breed manager, has a good playing pedigree and had a half decent record at Notts County who were a bit of a basket case when he went there. We have had the experienced managers, Peter Reid, Chris Coleman, the fans choice, Mickey Adams, two with recent provern records Iain Dowie and Ady Bothroyd none any good here. If he gets the gig give him a chance with what is perhaps the most difficult and thanless job in the division. He will be unable to sign anyone for months, if at all. It's easy saying he is crap, so was Sir Alex at St Mirren

Waldorf

Can someone remind me where Robins was in the betting before he was appointed? I don't think he was favourite, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bookies' speculation doesn't always come true.

Baginton

he brought on that baldy murderer, who wasnt in the squad the weeks leading up to the game, that is snough not to choose him :censored:

rupert_bear

Don't think Robins appeared in the betting until right at the end. These betting odds are generated by bookies to tout business mainly guess work.

Sky Blue Sheepy

He brought a player on we don't like, and got a result against us. His record at County was good and I've have no issue with Curle. Black I don't care for, but Brown is a no no. Worthless!

Colonel Mustard

Out of the 3 which have been mentioned from Brown, Curle and Dickov i would definitely be happiest with Curle.

I'd rather save the money and give Rioch a crack at the job than hire any of those three.

Incidentally, Curle seems to be drifting out of contention: now at 6/1 and 11/4 at SkyBet and Stan James.

Last edited:

ohitsaidwalker king power

If we got him, I'm definitely not getting a ST. Did an ok job at Hull, that's it.

All this talk of Season Ticket boycotts based on managerial appointments at this stage is a little foolhardy in my opinion- irrespective of who is appointed, managers at football clubs come and go, players the same- kiss the badge one minute..claim a blood allegiance the next etc etc...:jerkit:

The one thing that remains loyal is the hardcore fan-base.

Mucca Mad Boys

All this talk of Season Ticket boycotts based on managerial appointments at this stage is a little foolhardy in my opinion- irrespective of who is appointed, managers at football clubs come and go, players the same- kiss the badge one minute..claim a blood allegiance the next etc etc...:jerkit:

The one thing that remains loyal is the hardcore fan-base.

I can get really irrational regarding this, one of the only times I lose my cool, what I will say is this, I said I wouldn't get a ST when Hoofroyd was appointed... I got a ST.

Mucca Mad Boys

Curle hasn't done very good at Notts County at all! They are a club that was supposed to be in the top 6 even pushing for promotion and he under performed with them, I don't rate him and he is a hoofball manager, he or Brown would be very bad, Dickov, I'd be pissed off with, and unsure of Black, although I couldn't complain if he became manager.

Users who are viewing this thread