Playing Hunt as a Left-Back (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

It may not be as odd as first thought, since he's had experience playing in that position. Plus, add his general footballing experience, excellent awareness and ability to wind up opposition players, and I believe he'd make a cracking LB for us, at this level.

Clearly it's a lot to ask for a 34 year old to still be bombing down the flanks as a wide MF or winger, so perhaps, TM may see this premise too and give him a shot in defence.

He's still got the stamina and ability, so why not give him a shot at left-back.

rupert_bear

But we have a decent left back in Chris Stokes, I know he has filled in at centre back and played well but by his own admission it isn't his preferred position just don't see why we should change 2 positions to cover one, we don't know how Hunt will be at left back so why gamble ?

Otis

It may not be as odd as first thought, since he's had experience playing in that position. Plus, add his general footballing experience, excellent awareness and ability to wind up opposition players, and I believe he'd make a cracking LB for us, at this level.

Clearly it's a lot to ask for a 34 year old to still be bombing down the flanks as a wide MF or winger, so perhaps, TM may see this premise too and give him a shot in defence.

He's still got the stamina and ability, so why not give him a shot at left-back.
Our fullbacks are hardly bombing down the flanks anyway.

As Stokes looks so assured at centre back I would most certainly like to think it is worth considering at least.

Hobo

But we have a decent left back in Chris Stokes, I know he has filled in at centre back and played well but by his own admission it isn't his preferred position just don't see why we should change 2 positions to cover one, we don't know how Hunt will be at left back so why gamble ?

For me it is about options and Hunt brings that. He gives us an alternative to Stokes and perhaps a player who would gives us a more attacking minded player from that position. He also gives us an alternative to Murphy who has struggled recently. I don't think Hunt is necessarily brought in as better than what we have. I think TM sees there might be situations where Hunts experience maybe utilised in certain matches.

stupot07

How many games has hunt actually played at left back? I can only ever remember him playing left wing.

It's an option, but I would rather have Chris Stokes at left back, hopefully Martin will be fit soon.

Rodders1

Decent CB maybe - looks promising. Decent LB he is not in my opinion. Not comfortable enough on the ball.

BackRoomRummermill

All Hunt has brought is yet another freeloader sapping our playing budget

Make no mistake if he was any good he would at least be in the Championship

rupert_bear

We need attackers, a striker and a winger. Goals have dried up if we don't get them I think we will struggle to make the play offs. The writing has been on the wall since before xmas and still not been addressed

Hobo

How many games has hunt actually played at left back? I can only ever remember him playing left wing.

It's an option, but I would rather have Chris Stokes at left back, hopefully Martin will be fit soon.
He has played as a left back and a wing back

mechaishida

The point is, that he'd offer aggression and awareness at LB, and get the opposition riled. He's played there before, and now with him reaching the last run of his career, perhaps his skills and attributes would better suit a more defensive position. Like many have said, Stokes looks more assured at CB, so it's just an idea really.

covcity4life

For me it is about options and Hunt brings that. He gives us an alternative to Stokes and perhaps a player who would gives us a more attacking minded player from that position. He also gives us an alternative to Murphy who has struggled recently. I don't think Hunt is necessarily brought in as better than what we have. I think TM sees there might be situations where Hunts experience maybe utilised in certain matches.

i was right though ,he started in attack

remember that hobo :)

Hobo

i was right though ,he started in attack

remember that hobo :)

I would of been right if Murphy hadn't got injured. I bet you caused his injury just so you could be right.

Hobo

lol

dont think he was ever gonna start as LB but i tell yuo what i wouldnt mind seeing it.

As I have said all along, I think he gives us options all down the left. That versatility is great to have. Especially if people having been struggling to adopt to a plan B during the game. TM said didn't he how the young players have failed to see the need or been unable to change the game plan mid game on occasions.

To be honest I don't care where he plays as long as he plays well.

Moff

I'd assumed Hunt had been signed just for emergency cover tbh, so not sure we'll see too much of him.

It will be interesting to see him when he is a given a chance and if he improves things.
If he still has the legs I hope he can offer us something else, a killer ball, a bit of experience, attacking flair, some aggression, but if not I think you are right we may not see much of him.

Farmerron

Hunt was filling in at left back when we were torn apart in the move on Saturday that led to the penalty. It wasn't as if Hunt was caught up in our attack at the time, that was on the other wing when Ricketts gave the ball away with his fancy flick. Hunt was dreadfully caught out.

Hobo

Well he is understandably rusty and now only match time will get him up to speed. Latest CET article confirms he is on pay as you play. He hopes it will be revised at the end of the month and he can earn a contract until the end of the season.

BackRoomRummermill

You could literally say that about any player in League One.

Yes and he is not League one material either now given his current state, oh and by the way the pay as you play all depends on how much the pay is ..... I am guessing the freeloader will want 5K a game minimum, plus extras

Gazolba

We need attackers, a striker and a winger. Goals have dried up if we don't get them I think we will struggle to make the play offs.

We have the top scorer in the division and the finest English attacking midfield prospect in the land (according to some accounts) plus an ex-England international. Why can't we get goals? Maybe its because they are never given the ball in positions where they can score, or maybe they are and they cannot shoot accurately, or maybe they are unfit, or maybe they are vastly overrated, or maybe they just don't care since they get paid anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread