Players that caught the eye (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

list of players that caught the eye in a skyblue shirt and never stayed with us -some maybe thought the grass might be greener ( i am sure there are more) - update on how they are doing

Domic Samuel - now playing for gillingham league 1
Djohn Sterling - does not seem to be playing
Bright Enobakhare - signed for AEK athens but dosent seem to be playing
Tom Baylis - does not seem to be playing
Duckens Nazon - does not seem to be playing
Marc Mcnulty - does not seem to be playing - arrested on match fixing allegations

Alkhen

Waste of talent but I guess we were playing are a lower level when they stared for us. (never really rated Samuel that highly)

I'd have Sterling and Bayliss back in heartbeat seem like nice professional lads and have talent

Woulndt go near Nazon or Bright, loved Bright whilst he was here but you can't carry a maverick like him in the Championship. The way other players have talked about him on pods just reaffirm he was a headcase. Duck just seemed to rate himself, feel like he will have some regrets come 35.

Would have had McNulty back too but obviously that's a no go

Gibbo

None of these fit with the way we play now - not even Bayliss and least of all McNulty. It could be that the million or so for Bayliss (although some will be perfomance related) could be a smart move. He could be the next Ben Stevenson or George Thomas where the cash was of more use to us than a potentially gifted player. Bayliss would be playing in O'Hare's position....I'll say no more

KenilworthSkyBlue

Waste of talent but I guess we were playing are a lower level when they stared for us. (never really rated Samuel that highly)

I'd have Sterling and Bayliss back in heartbeat seem like nice professional lads and have talent

Woulndt go near Nazon or Bright, loved Bright whilst he was here but you can't carry a maverick like him in the Championship. The way other players have talked about him on pods just reaffirm he was a headcase. Duck just seemed to rate himself, feel like he will have some regrets come 35.

Why when he clearly isn't up to the standard of the Championship? If you read the reports that came out of Reading during his first season there, they were pretty damning.

Alkhen

Why when he clearly isn't up to the standard of the Championship? If you read the reports that came out of Reading during his first season there, they were pretty damning.

Maybe skyblue tinted glasses but I know what I saw. Its all guess work but if he had stayed I think he would have stepped up. I'm happy where we are and get how selling him helped, getting Chaplin paid off in the long run etc etc but anyone saying they weren't fucked off he left or wouldn't have loved it if he had stayed is full of shit.

I re watched a few games from the L2 promotion push recently and McNulty had excellent movement and was way better at link play than people give him credit for. Go back and watch the playoff final, he low-key had a blinder.

He is clearly a confidence player, Robins liked him and played him through a shaky start. Don't begrudge him his payday at Reading but they have been a weird club with massive player churn, he's not the type of player to get up to speed with 10 min sub appearances. Was never gonna work there.

clint van damme

Totally agree about Nazon and Bright.

Such a shame, particularly in Brights case, as so talented but you need discipline and professionalism as well and it was clearly lacking.

Kieranp96

Most of who you listed have a ego, and decided to go elsewhere rather than return and cost them game time.

DannyThomas_1981

None of these fit with the way we play now - not even Bayliss and least of all McNulty. It could be that the million or so for Bayliss (although some will be perfomance related) could be a smart move. He could be the next Ben Stevenson or George Thomas where the cash was of more use to us than a potentially gifted player. Bayliss would be playing in O'Hare's position....I'll say no more

I'd see Bayliss playing more in the Allen/Shipley AM position, and playing a key role in transitioning our play and running at defenders. He's a class player and was unlucky with injuries last year. I'd certainly have Bayliss back.

And I've always loved a maverick and a luxury player, clearly not going to happen but Bright off the bench would be brilliant.

Mucca Mad Boys

What about his style of play do you think wouldn’t suit our system?

In my view, Bayliss would fit in well in that AM role really well and it’s a shame we had to sell him. If anything he’d be competing with Allen.

If I recall correctly, Bayliss isn’t really a intense presser of the ball, that’s the blot on his ability to fit in. Overall, if I was given the choice, I’d chose Bayliss > Allen, it’s close.

At least before his injury troubles. He certainly would’ve been of great use had we kept him, and it’s not like Stevenson who, well, is still in League 2 for a reason.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Imagine Bayliss and OHare behind Godden 😂

KenilworthSkyBlue

Maybe skyblue tinted glasses but I know what I saw. Its all guess work but if he had stayed I think he would have stepped up. I'm happy where we are and get how selling him helped, getting Chaplin paid off in the long run etc etc but anyone saying they weren't fucked off he left or wouldn't have loved it if he had stayed is full of shit.

I re watched a few games from the L2 promotion push recently and McNulty had excellent movement and was way better at link play than people give him credit for. Go back and watch the playoff final, he low-key had a blinder.

He is clearly a confidence player, Robins liked him and played him through a shaky start. Don't begrudge him his payday at Reading but they have been a weird club with massive player churn, he's not the type of player to get up to speed with 10 min sub appearances. Was never gonna work there.

I think McNulty was treated unfairly at Reading and probably should've been given at least a full season to prove his worth. But I have to say, I think that the notion that 'he would've made the grade if he was provided with more opportunities' is a total myth.

I thought he was an excellent League Two striker, with great movement and good link up play as you've rightly said. But, personally I think these attributes were accentuated by the fact that he was playing against sub-par defenders. The same applies for his time in the SPL, where the quality overall is relatively poor.

Every player at the end of the day has their level, and based on evidence, League One or the SPL is probably McNulty's ideal league. The Championship is probably just a step too far, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread