Phillips: new contract or not? (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

have not been to a game for a while, so am wondering whether you think Aaron Phillips deserves a new contract based on last few games?
Seems to be very committed to the cause and I get the impression he is improving defensively (less prone to rash challenges, maybe).

I really don't know - I remember one poster on GMK absolutely loathed Andy Whing and thought he couldn't play at all, others liked him.

What do you think Mowbray should do? Is Haynes worth retaining too - according to some accounts he's done well at Cambridge on loan.

rupert_bear

For me Phillips has more potential as a midfield player than a right back, he's okay on the ball and going forward but certainly not the best defender, I would give him a years contract extension but that depends on what the likes of Fleck does.

Otis

For me Phillips has more potential as a midfield player than a right back, he's okay on the ball and going forward but certainly not the best defender, I would give him a years contract extension but that depends on what the likes of Fleck does.
I tend to agree. He is good on the ball, pretty quick and can support the attack, but defending isn't his strongest point.

Also really needs to cut out the rash challenges and silly mistakes.

Not 100% sure, but with how things stand it may well be worth offering him a new contract as a squad player at least.

Bristol sky blue

Lots of fans often say 'get rid, he's crap' about a player, but don't about whether we could get better for the same money.
Both Haynes and Phillips seem to be better going forward, so might depend on whether TM intends to play wing backs more often next season.

TakeMeHome

Give him another year or two contract.

Willis will be number 1 Right back next year but we can dialog worse than have Phillips as a backup, especially if we need fresh legs on the wings off the bench.

Malaka

I dont like his distribution. Far too often he gives the ball away or plays a player into trouble. By the way, there was a lot of that last night, by most of the defenders.

stupot07

I'm undecided on him. He's pretty poor defensively and his positional awareness isn't great. I though Reid gave him a torrid time last night

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tom88

I like him as a player, If he can just cut out rash challenges and silly mistakes, I think he gave away 2 silly penalties this season and that Burton gift was a shambles.

I think a year or two as a squad player wont hurt.

skyblue025

Inexperienced player who has improved the more games he has played. Doesn't go diving in 1/2 as much now and is staying on his feet when making tackles. Worth another year to see if he progress' s.

Nick

Administrator
Inexperienced player who has improved the more games he has played. Doesn't go diving in 1/2 as much now and is staying on his feet when making tackles. Worth another year to see if he progress' s.

The moment he dived in last night scared me!

AFCCOVENTRY

He should have spent this year on loan to a L2 club for his development.

I fear the same old mistakes will always creep back.

fernandopartridge

He's not bad defensively, our defensive record with him in the team I think would support that. Give him another year. You can never doubt his commitment either.

Hadji10

Definitely worth a new deal. Very harshly treated by Mowbray this season. I'd rather have him at right back than Ricketts.

Calista

For me he's been playing out of position his entire career. Not agile or quick enough off the mark to be a full back, but I still like him and he’d make a neat holding midfield player IMO.

covcity4life

yesterday confirmed to me that we should NOT keep him

hes always looking to go sideways or backwards with his passing
he doesnt like to take man on via dribbling
he loves to commit to tackles. sometimes they come off and sometimes hes left stranded. too risky
he still makes rash challenges and does not think about where he is on the pitch.

lets get someone else in

Hod dog

beginning of the season i panicked every minute he was on the pitch, as every attack from the opposition felt like he was going to conceed a penalty, which he has 3-4 times this season. that said he has come back in to the team the last few games and looked solid, i was really impressed with him at gillingham and wigan, Reid was always going to give him a horrible time last night plus he was at wing back not full back.

i would give him a new deal, and like a previous person has said, have him as no 2 to Willis.

SkyBlueScottie

As fans we see him once a week etc, do you really think that you have spotted something that countless coaches have missed?

As for Phillips, he is young, still learning his game, and because of that I would be tempted to offer him a new deal if it suits the budget.

Bear in mind though, that the recent improvement in performances could be down to Mowbray telling him to look for a new club and he is putting himself in the shop window, if thats the case then he might not have the required attitude to suceed here.

Grendel

Surely we can do better than him?

steve82

yesterday confirmed to me that we should NOT keep him

hes always looking to go sideways or backwards with his passing
he doesnt like to take man on via dribbling
he loves to commit to tackles. sometimes they come off and sometimes hes left stranded. too risky
he still makes rash challenges and does not think about where he is on the pitch.

lets get someone else in

We could do a lot worse than Aaron Phillips, he's come back a lot more composed and confident and still learning.
To your points on last night the whole team looked to pass back or sideways. The fact Midfield made no movement to look down the right side gave him no option at all so he's only gonna cut it back or people will say he always gives the ball away.
Your not really gonna take a man on also that's got more pace than you also.
Yes he committed to 2 tackles last night but he was more cute about it than previously.
Deffinatly worth a 2 year deal as I cannot see him being on that much and will develop further.

covcity4life

passing point i can accept.

but if hes not fast enough to take on a man then we can clearly do better in that regard
and few times reid left him for dead yesterday so his tackling is not cute enough!
and finnaly he mistackled a player right on edge of box again, hes not learning fast enough

if TM keeps him fair enough but i dont think hes what we need to aim for promotion

chiefdave

He'll be OK, and probably the right price, for a back up. The problem will come if he needs to fill in long term.

Of course the same thing will apply in every position. We don't have the budget to have a squad of 22 plus players who could ask be potential first choices.

steve82

passing point i can accept.

but if hes not fast enough to take on a man then we can clearly do better in that regard
and few times reid left him for dead yesterday so his tackling is not cute enough!
and finnaly he mistackled a player right on edge of box again, hes not learning fast enough

if TM keeps him fair enough but i dont think hes what we need to aim for promotion

Fair point, fast players are tricky to tackle and luckily he was out side the box when he gave away the free kick. Maybe he was aware of this an may not of done the same in the box.... I hope.
If TM was to choose the wing backs idea more often I'd be happy with Phillips being on the right. If Jones was ahead of him I think this would give Phillips more choice to use for the 1-2 and get a ball into the box to a suitable striker.
Still worth retaining on a 2 year deal tho for the squad.

ajsccfc

He's impressed with his attitude in the last couple of weeks, but I still fear the worst whenever he's going in for a tackle anywhere near the penalty area.

Otis

Definitely worth a new deal. Very harshly treated by Mowbray this season. I'd rather have him at right back than Ricketts.
But isn't that like saying I'd rather have Professor Stephen Hawking at right back?

Rather having Phillips than Ricketts is no recommendation at all unfortunately.

Johnnythespider

If we can find another Stokes for the right back position I would say " not". I think we need somebody a bit more physical, he played well last night though.

Calista

Entire career? He's 22 and played about 50 games!!

50 games in the first team, and how many games at all the other levels?

Better judges than me clearly regard him as a full back, and they're the ones who make the decisions. And presumably Phillips himself thinks that's his best position. But it doesn't stop me having a different opinion - it's only a fans' forum.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Difficult one. Seems very vulnerable and prone to an error a game, and this season I think that's shown more than most!

That said, as Otis mentioned, he could be a good player in midfield. Not expecting him to be the next Gareth Bale, but he is decent going forward yet vulnerable when defending!

Not sure though if I'd want him to stay and we trial that change, or if it's best to just cut all ties. Hmmm :thinking about:

johnwillomagic

I think it all depends who we retain and recruit........if we lose Ricketts and Lorentzon and do not recruit
then that leaves us with Willis and Phillips at right back - not sure then if would use budget for another right
back or run with those two. Defensively I actually thought Willis does decently at Right Back strong, decent in the air and can tackle.
This is how Stokes started and is now much better going forward too?

A difficult one maybe 1 year option.......struggling to make mind up tbh!

Users who are viewing this thread