PC keeps crashing (1 Viewer)

Marty

I bought Cities Skyline in the steam sale, but my PC keeps crashing when I play it. I can play no more then 5 minutes before it completely freezes.

My computer surpasses the recommended requirements listed.

Any ideas?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I would just uninstall the game and maybe try again? If not, then I'd give it up as a bad job. I signed up to the latest version of Photoshop a few weeks ago and it is incredibly slow. The other previous versions were excellent for speed but this one (CC 2019) is so slow. I just live with it now.

Marty

Houchens head: I'll try uninstalling it and starting again, probably best

I've tried that Dutchman, but still no good, so i'll uninstall it,

I've tried it now with all the settings turned really low, strangely it seems to be knocking my wifi connection off as well now, maybe they're linked issues?

Marty

Still crashing even with the re install. Is this going to be a game I'm destined to never play properly?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
'fraid it looks that way, Marty.

Marty

Right, Just bought 'Two point hospital' (which is fantastic) on steam, and having the same problems again. I can play for about 30 minutes before it completely locks the computer and the whole thing needs restarting.

I've put my hand on the back by the PSU fan and I can't hold my hand there it is so hot, I'm guessing this is the real issue? I already have the full allotted fan slots on the PC used up. What are the options? I don't want to transfer everything over into a new case, could I for example just cut a hole in the top of the case and stick a fan on? I don't really have any other space for more fans, unless I start putting ones on the outside of it.

Typing this out and the PSU is blowing out cold air.

On this game, I surpass the minimum specs but don't reach the recommended specs as the video card only has 2gb ram, where it recommends 4gb. I'm also running windows 7 and it wants it recommends 10.

Currently have 32gb ram installed, is it possible to dedicate some of that to the graphics card? Computer still runs as smooth and as fast as it did when I first built it.

Not sure what type of connections I need to hook up a new fan, I've looked at the motherboard but can't see another slot for a case fan. Can I plug directly into the PSU?

Edit: - Is it possible to buy the same graphics card and have them working in sync?

dutchman

I've put my hand on the back by the PSU fan and I can't hold my hand there it is so hot, I'm guessing this is the real issue? I already have the full allotted fan slots on the PC used up. What are the options? I don't want to transfer everything over into a new case, could I for example just cut a hole in the top of the case and stick a fan on?
TechYesCity recommends just leaving the side of the case off and aiming a room fan at it if necessary. He lives in Australia so is used to high temperatures.

Currently have 32gb ram installed, is it possible to dedicate some of that to the graphics card?
Unlikely as graphics cards use VRAM as opposed to ordinary RAM.

Not sure what type of connections I need to hook up a new fan, I've looked at the motherboard but can't see another slot for a case fan. Can I plug directly into the PSU?
Yes, you can get fans that have a Molex connector but you won't be able to control their speed.

Edit: - Is it possible to buy the same graphics card and have them working in sync?
If it's a low-end card that feature will be disabled.

Marty

TechYesCity recommends just leaving the side of the case off and aiming a room fan at it if necessary. He lives in Australia so is used to high temperatures.

Unlikely as graphics cards use VRAM as opposed to ordinary RAM.

Yes, you can get fans that have a Molex connector but you won't be able to control their speed.

If it's a low-end card that feature will be disabled.

I've just tried removing the side and having a fan, took longer to crash, but still crashed.

I'm not too fussed about controlling the fan speed, just as long as it can keep cool, and allow me to play.

I have a EVGA geforce GTX 750 ti 2gb. Apparently it doesn't support having 2 running side by side (sli?). In this case I'd probably be best to upgrade the graphics card?

dutchman

I've just tried removing the side and having a fan, took longer to crash, but still crashed.

I'm not too fussed about controlling the fan speed, just as long as it can keep cool, and allow me to play.
I'm afraid if leaving the side cover off doesn't work then adding extra fans isn't likely to either.

I have a EVGA geforce GTX 750 ti 2gb. Apparently it doesn't support having 2 running side by side (sli?).
That's deliberate to stop people buying two lower-priced cards instead of one expensive card.

If you haven't done so already I strongly suggest removing the heatsink from the CPU and the graphics card, then cleaning off and reapplying the thermal paste.

Marty

I'm afraid if leaving the side cover off doesn't work then adding extra fans isn't likely to either.

That's deliberate to stop people buying two lower-priced cards instead of one expensive card.

If you haven't done so already I strongly suggest removing the heatsink from the CPU and the graphics card, then cleaning off and reapplying the thermal paste.

I'm going to give it a blast of compressed air to drive out any dust that is stuck inside the fans, if that doesn't work, I'll have a go at doing what you recommend, possibly might upgrade the GPU too.

vow

Have you had a good clean out of the dust in the case? as that's a killer of most components which in turn heats them up!

Also, are the fans in the case used as extractors (blowing out, good) as opposed to blowing in (bad)?

Edit: Just read the post above @Marty but second question still stands!

Last edited:

Marty

Have you had a good clean out of the dust in the case? as that's a killer of most components which in turn heats them up!

Also, are the fans in the case used as extractors (blowing out, good) as opposed to blowing in (bad)?

Edit: Just read the post above @Marty but second question still stands!

The fans at the front pull in and the fans at the back push out, so it has a stream of air constantly flowing through.

Reactions: vow

Marty

After a clean out, I can't see much difference in performance, still crashing,

Currently have a self taught crash course in fan specifications, Going to replace all fans, with higher volume, renew the thermal paste, and if it still has problems, I'll have a look at replacing the case/GPU.

Marty

If it only affects one game then it's a compatibility rather than a performance issue.

It's 2 games, Cities XL and Two point hospital. I rarely play games on my pc, and haven't for a while, I think the 2 latest games I've bought have just been too much for it.

Rewired the PC now, I did have one clump of cables, wasn't in line with any of the fans, but thought it best to just get it stacked away nice and neatly. Hopefully, It'll improve airflow enough.

Marty

I've got it sorted, I just needed to do 5 years of windows updates :sorry::bag:

Thanks for the help everyone, still going to upgrade the fans and renew the thermal paste.

Users who are viewing this thread