PC, Imac or Ipad? (1 Viewer)

Adge

Hi all, I am at the stage where I need to be looking at a new computer. Always had a PC with Windows etc but with the room the desktops take up was possibly looking at a I Mac or Ipad to save clutter.
Don't know the first thing about I mac so was wondering if anyone has one and what to look out for?
Or shall I go for a new PC which will probably be cheaper, but again which to go for as I don't know about processors/Ram etc and how much of that is required when purchasing. I am not into gaming on it so that wouldn't need to be taken into account.
Any help greatly appreciated.

shmmeee

What do you plan to do with it?

iPads are fine for browsing the web, emails, some light document editing. Especially the newer ones with mouse/trackpad support. Though like all Apple stuff you will pay for it.

If you need a large screen and proper apps I’d go Windows even though I’m a Mac user myself. It’ll be easier for you to use and less confusing generally in my experience.

Question really is do you plan to so anything beefy on it like 3D stuff, video editing, games, complex data analysis. If not then pretty much any spec above an i5 with 8gb RAM will see you right for a good few years.

ajsccfc

If clutter is the main reason I wouldn't advocate a switch in OS, something like a Windows Surface might be worth a look.

Adge

What do you plan to do with it?

iPads are fine for browsing the web, emails, some light document editing. Especially the newer ones with mouse/trackpad support. Though like all Apple stuff you will pay for it.

If you need a large screen and proper apps I’d go Windows even though I’m a Mac user myself. It’ll be easier for you to use and less confusing generally in my experience.

Question really is do you plan to so anything beefy on it like 3D stuff, video editing, games, complex data analysis. If not then pretty much any spec above an i5 with 8gb RAM will see you right for a good few years.
No, nothing major. Just generally browsing and printing off (away!) tickets etc. No editing etc or gaming so just general stuff.
Got a link to anything that would fit the bill?

bulko

Get a Mac mini and use your own keyboard monitor and mouse they small and I think brilliant.

Nick

Administrator
I've gone from an iMac to a Windows laptop and a 4K Monitor. I didn't NEED a mac so the extra money wasn't viable.

An easy grand in difference to if I wanted Apple stuff.

Adge

Is it just for general internet browsing?

Get a half decent Windows laptop that you can put away when you have finished.

Are you bothered about touch screen etc?
No, do prefer a keyboard though instead of a greasy finger print screen!

Adge

Oh, forgot to mention aswell that i probably need to take 5000 odd photo's off it, so I can download onto a memory stick etc.Anyone know what size I would need for that memory stick wise?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Oh, forgot to mention aswell that i probably need to take 5000 odd photo's off it, so I can download onto a memory stick etc.Anyone know what size I would need for that memory stick wise?

Dropbox / Google Drive! Much safer.

shmmeee

As Nick said, use an online storage but if you want to go USB stick it’ll depend on the quality of your pics. I’d say large ones are around 2-3mb per pic so you’re looking at 10-15gb memory stick if they’re big. You can get a 32GB one for less than a tenner so shouldn’t be an issue.

Sick Boy

I've gone from an iMac to a Windows laptop and a 4K Monitor. I didn't NEED a mac so the extra money wasn't viable.

An easy grand in difference to if I wanted Apple stuff.
I got my first one just over a year ago and would happily pay the extra for it next time as well.

RFC

iPad most cost effective and easy to use, can’t beat iOS really. 125gb or 256gb should accommodate 5000 photos and includes great after sales back-up and tuition if required via Apple Shop or on line.

Liquid Gold

Macs last if you’re looking for durability. I’m still running on a MacBook Pro from 2011. Replaced the battery, hard drive and ram in that time but it’s still going strong after 9 years.

shmmeee

Yeah, my MacBook Air from 2013 is still rocking. They do last well. And they are pretty.

Sick Boy

My MacBook Pro is from 2010 and still going strong. Every Windows laptop I’ve bought seemed to be too slow and unusable after 4 years.

Liquid Gold

The issue I would say is if you’re not very tech savvy and you’re used to windows then stick with windows. I remember getting my first mac and staring at it for ages not working out how to do things. It’s like a completely different language. Once you adjust I think they make a hell of a lot more sense and things are much easier to do and more intuitive but it will take time to come around to.

You to get a lot more hardware for your money on windows but as sick boy said they seem to fall apart quicker. That Mac OS is the elixir of the gods though.

LastGarrison

Am I the only one who thinks iPad’s are shit?

Got one through work and just don’t get on with it at all. Give me lap top (or phone) all day long.

Just not worth the money in my opinion and certainly wouldn’t buy one myself.

Liquid Gold

Am I the only one who thinks iPad’s are shit?

Got one through work and just don’t get on with it at all. Give me lap top (or phone) all day long.

Just not worth the money in my opinion and certainly wouldn’t buy one myself.
They were pretty revolutionary at the time but now phones are massive they are a bit pointless.

shmmeee

I dunno. The new iOS stuff makes iPads pretty good laptop replacements. Stuff like split screen and mouse and keyboard support definitely puts them ahead of phones as a productivity device.

macOS seems to have been neglected recently for me (since it became macOS in fact), the new MacBooks aren’t great IMO and since Jobs went general quality of Apple products has definitely taken a turn for the worse.

skyblueinBaku

The place I worked in before I retired fixed all sorts of PCs. It was easy to see that the Apple kit was built to a much higher standard than the others.

Terry Gibson's perm

All five of us have iPads means we don’t have to speak to often!

I have just got my older son a laptop to help with his school work.

Flying Fokker

Never seen a surface pro in action.

I was thinking iPad Pro 12.9 or the surface pro.

In terms of the original post.

I have an ipad and laptop ASUS zenbook . (I haven’t picked the laptop up since lockdown as I also have a desktop...use both desktop and the laptop with Scrivener and office). I listen to podcasts and browse the internet most of the day on the iPad.

shmmeee

Never seen a surface pro in action.

I was thinking iPad Pro 12.9 or the surface pro.

In terms of the original post.

I have an ipad and laptop ASUS zenbook . (I haven’t picked the laptop up since lockdown as I also have a desktop...use both desktop and the laptop with Scrivener and office). I listen to podcasts and browse the internet most of the day on the iPad.

The Surface isn’t a good tablet. There’s just not the apps for it. If you care about that I’d get an iPad Pro, but as a ultraportable windows laptop it’s amazing.

Adge

I have an I phone hence the temptation to lean a bit more towards the I Mac/pad.

Great_Expectations

I recently had the same dilemma and I opted for a Mac. I definitely don’t regret the decision.

As others have said it takes a while getting used to it (made worse by the fact I’m on a Windows laptop all day for work), but once you are it makes sense. We also have iPhones, TV and iPads in the house so the ability to link them all was one of the factors in going for the Mac.

Adge

Microsoft surface book again was mentioned by another mate of mine-says they are worth the investment but not that cheap?

shmmeee

Microsoft surface book again was mentioned by another mate of mine-says they are worth the investment but not that cheap?

Theyre very nice expensive windows laptops. Closest thing to a Mac for build quality. But still shitty software. My touchscreen stops working randomly for example.

Users who are viewing this thread