Pc help!! (1 Viewer)

TommyZoom

Hi Guys,

Wondered if any of you can help me fix this stupid PC...! I have a HP Pavilion Slimline.

So on start up all the lights come on as they should, then after 5 seconds or so there is a singular click noise. (not the constant clicking noise as if the hard drive was inop) after the click noise has happened the signal light goes off and never flashes again no matter how long I leave it on for, and also the monitor goes into a 'no signal' mode. I have checked all the wires inside the PC making sure none are lose, I have even removed the DIMMs and tried to boot using just one and it's still doing the same. I have read on the HP website that is possibly could be the power supply that could be failing even though the green light on the rear of the power supply is still working? Does this sound plausable to anybody or am I maybe looking at a new graphics card?

If anybody can help then it would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Coventry La La La

Hi Guys,

Wondered if any of you can help me fix this stupid PC...! I have a HP Pavilion Slimline.

So on start up all the lights come on as they should, then after 5 seconds or so there is a singular click noise. (not the constant clicking noise as if the hard drive was inop) after the click noise has happened the signal light goes off and never flashes again no matter how long I leave it on for, and also the monitor goes into a 'no signal' mode. I have checked all the wires inside the PC making sure none are lose, I have even removed the DIMMs and tried to boot using just one and it's still doing the same. I have read on the HP website that is possibly could be the power supply that could be failing even though the green light on the rear of the power supply is still working? Does this sound plausable to anybody or am I maybe looking at a new graphics card?

You won't be able to get a new graphics card in the HP Pavillion slimline, had one myself, finding a good psu will be difficult as the case is to small to fit in the standard size, there old, outdated and hard to sort out due to there limited capacity.

dutchman

Hi Guys,

I had a similar fault with a two-week old PC (not HP). Turned out to be a jammed power-on switch. (If it remains on for more than five seconds it shuts everything down again).

If this is the case then removing the front case bezel might free it. Replacing a faulty power switch is also possible but a lot more work than you might think.

Disorganised1

Remove the battery and hold down the power switch for at least 10 seconds.
Then plug it in without the battery and see if she boots up.
If not I think its press and hold PF10 on the HP for the diagnostics screen, but failing that boot up tapping F2 and see what you message you get.
This is assuming you are getting the 'no signal' on a black screen - if its on a blue screen then its a hard disk failure.

Users who are viewing this thread