Paul mullin joins wrexham (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I guess having Hollywood owners is paying off fair play , that's some coup as I doubt he was short of offers .

Wages clearly the deciding factor, I wish them all the best and imagine it won't be long until they are back in the football league Screenshot_20210723-183704_Chrome.jpg

Brighton Sky Blue

I guess having Hollywood owners is paying off fair play , that's some coup as I doubt he was short of offers .

Wages clearly the deciding factor, I wish them all the best and imagine it won't be long until they are back in the football league View attachment 21117

Hope a team that doesn’t try to buy their way up beats them to it

SBAndy

Obviously FFP/SCMP doesn’t apply in non-league. Issues will become more profound in the EFL as Salford have found.

Brighton Sky Blue

So what? If Cov had the massive fortune of having a rich benefactor, would you whinge on behalf of Barnsley etc?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

My point is embracing whoever wants to play tycoon at our clubs isn’t good for our game in the long run. It’s just anti competitive

Grendel

Liquid Gold

I hate it when owners buy their way up the leagues but Wrexham are a league club that have had shite luck for ages due to bad owners. I don’t begrudge their fans a couple of promotions.

Would be like us being taken over in L2.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I don’t get the issue with owners buying they way up the league. The current way is stacked in favour of those who are already at the top.

there are 92 football league teams, the day of the local millionaire bankrolling a club is gone. There isn’t enough of them around who are interested in football

COV

I don’t get the issue with owners buying they way up the league. The current way is stacked in favour of those who are already at the top.

there are 92 football league teams, the day of the local millionaire bankrolling a club is gone. There isn’t enough of them around who are interested in football

There are, but a couple of million doesn’t touch the sides these days, it’s a guaranteed way to lose all your money. So they stay away.

NorthernWisdom

I hate it when owners buy their way up the leagues but Wrexham are a league club that have had shite luck for ages due to bad owners. I don’t begrudge their fans a couple of promotions.

Would be like us being taken over in L2.
It's always happened anyway, we're only a league club because David Cooke gave us the cash, then we had Brandish, Robbins bankroll us... so where's the problem if an owner's genuinely keen to progress a club?

The issues are if they're dirty shysters looking to make a quick buck, or total incompetents, or fantasists... but how else are clubs supposed to progress than if someone gives them a bit of a helping hand?

Grendel

It's always happened anyway, we're only a league club because David Cooke gave us the cash, then we had Brandish, Robbins bankroll us... so where's the problem if an owner's genuinely keen to progress a club?

The issues are if they're dirty shysters looking to make a quick buck, or total incompetents, or fantasists... but how else are clubs supposed to progress than if someone gives them a bit of a helping hand?

We wouldn’t have a club anymore if Geoffrey Robinson didn’t try and get his money back

Brighton Sky Blue

By good managers making them greater than the sum of their parts, but that’s the old romantic in me. A pyramid of tycoons doesn’t do it for me I’m afraid

Liquid Gold

It still doesn’t sit right when a team that draws in crowds of 100 are launched into the EFL *cough* Salford *cough* when teams like Stockport a few miles down the road have to endure years of shit.

I know it could be argued that you have to get them there to generate the support but still

NorthernWisdom

It still doesn’t sit right when a team that draws in crowds of 100 are launched into the EFL *cough* Salford *cough* when teams like Stockport a few miles down the road have to endure years of shit.

I know it could be argued that you have to get them there to generate the support but still
You do. The big clubs aren't intrinsically big, they were given a helping hand.

Liverpool, formed by a wealthy benefactor taking his ball home with him after falling out with Everton.

Manchester United - changed from Newton Heath and bankrolled by benefactors. Once one of them died and the club nearly went bust, it was another white knight came along to save them.

Arsenal. Saved by a wealthy benefactor, who moved them across London.

Have to go back to the Corinthians for an ideal, and you could argue that they were basically bankrolling themselves...

Football's always been owned by people wih egos who want to improve their local team for whatever reason. Nowadays, the scales get bigger so it's not the local owners with big egos, of course...

The irony is Salford are owned by exactly those sort of people who used to bump clubs up. My only issue with Salford is the sneaking suspicion they were basically done to stop FC United in their tracks... but maybe that's a conspiracy theory too far.

Liquid Gold

Liverpool, formed by a wealthy benefactor taking his ball home with him after falling out with Everton.

Manchester United - changed from Newton Heath and bankrolled by benefactors. Once one of them died and the club nearly went bust, it was another white knight came along to save them.

Have to go back to the Corinthians for an ideal, and you could argue that they were basically bankrolling themselves...

Football's always been owned by people wih egos who want to improve their local team for whatever reason. Nowadays, the scales get bigger so it's not the local owners with big egos, of course...

The irony is Salford are owned by exactly those sort of people who used to bump clubs up. My only issue with Salford is the sneaking suspicion they were basically done to stop FC United in their tracks... but maybe that's a conspiracy theory too far.
I don’t disagree on the foundation days but now clubs are long standing community institutions and by bringing up these new or tiny clubs those with generations of loyal fans are consigned to the dustbin.

Brighton Sky Blue

Wealthy local businessmen funding a club is one thing, what we've seen in the last 20 years is off the scale and (with a few notable exceptions) largely confined to England. I know 'that's how it is', I just don't like it

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don’t disagree on the foundation days but now clubs are long standing community institutions and by bringing up these new or tiny clubs those with generations of loyal fans are consigned to the dustbin.

But in the years to come these tiny clubs may have become one with generations of loyal fans which all started thanks to this period in history where someone bankrolled them better than their rivals. Just like the big clubs of today.

Brighton Sky Blue

But in the years to come these tiny clubs may have become one with generations of loyal fans which all started thanks to this period in history where someone bankrolled them better than their rivals. Just like the big clubs of today.

One brave little billionaire against all the odds eh

NorthernWisdom

Manchester United were saved and boosted in the 1930s, of course. Point being, there wouldn't be a big club without somebody helping them up, and in so doing Liverpool, for example, would confine Bootle to the dustbin (the big, traditional Liverpool club along with Everton). Blackburn, of course, got a league title because of a benefactor, Wolves got saved and ended up back in the top flight because of a benefactor.

What's supposed to happen at that point? Wolves let Asda build a supermarket on their ground, because wealthy benefactors just aren't *right*? What do you do with a club like Bradford Park Avenue, who have a tradition, have a heritage, have fans who remember them being crushed out the league? If they get a benefactor of note, who wants to return them to the league, is that wrong... or is it righting the wrongs that took them there in the first place? Is that different to Stockport, just because it's a longer time frame?

Salford's an extension of the Wigan argument really. Those fans who remember them in non league, and there would be some given that was only the 1970s, imagine how good it is for them, and the ones who saw them slumming, hand to mouth, in the lower leagues to watch their club in the top flight, and win the cup. That'd be amazing, surely, and so much better for those fans than for so many clubs.

Now, if there's motives other than sporting, or an ego boost, that's another matter entirely...

COV

If it wasn’t for Robins it’s up for debate whether we’d ever have got beyond the old third division

Liquid Gold

Just cut out the middle man and buy a proper club then. Which is exactly why I said I wasn’t bothered about Wrexham being bought out.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just cut out the middle man and buy a proper club then. Which is exactly why I said I wasn’t bothered about Wrexham being bought out.

But you may not have the funds to compete at that level, but enough to make a massive difference to build a smaller club up, getting a massive ego boost from being seen as this white knight, enjoying watching that club win regularly as you've been able to buy them better players than the clubs around them and then make a profit later on when you sell the club when you're no longer the big fish. But that club is now bigger than it was, in a higher division and with more fans. Then someone with a bit more money than you does the same and eventually that tiny club could be an established club being bought by a billionnaire to be a true competitor. All started years before by a takeover of a tiny club with no history or fans that enabled them to became an OK club with some history and fans.

COV

Not really possible nowadays, you’d need billions to maintain it until the point where you’d built a massive club. Look at Wigan for example- they went from 4K to 20k+ under Dave Whelan but look at them now. You’d need a squad of Oligarchs to take someone like Wrexham to the Premier League and build up a huge fanbase over generations

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not really possible nowadays, you’d need billions to maintain it until the point where you’d built a massive club. Look at Wigan for example- they went from 4K to 20k+ under Dave Whelan but look at them now. You’d need a squad of Oligarchs to take someone like Wrexham to the Premier League and build up a huge fanbase over generations

That's what I was suggesting over a long period of time. Of course most will fall away but at some point even the Man U's and Liverpool's of this world would have been a smallish club with a local businessman wealthier than others to start the ball rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread