Paul Lambert named as Stoke City manager (1 Viewer)

I'm still trying to get my head around this one..... I'm sure when the news that Hughes had been fired after playing you guys the other week.... Paul Lambert wasn't on anyone's lips as a replacement!

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

It's funny how you have a perception of something I always thought his spells at Wolves and Blackburn were train-wreaks, but he actually did OK pretty much won as many as he lost at both clubs

Esoterica

He's pretty mumbly with a thick accent and not a great public speaker - i think the press also decided they didn't like him at Villa which didn't help him there.

no_loyalty

I bet the Stoke fans are over the moon

Liquid Gold

His record is fairly good because he's usually had clubs with a good budget by championship standards, I don't think he's the answer for Stoke at all. Thought that about Moyes at West Ham though and they have improved no end.

covcity4life

to be fair i think most let out a groan when hodgson,moyes and pardew got their recent jobs

but all 3(especially the first 2) are doing quite well

stoke will be looking to replicate with lambert

Terry Gibson's perm

to be fair i think most let out a groan when hodgson,moyes and pardew got their recent jobs

but all 3(especially the first 2) are doing quite well

stoke will be looking to replicate with lambert

I would be disappointed if pardew was emptying my bins

Esoterica

His record is fairly good because he's usually had clubs with a good budget by championship standards, I don't think he's the answer for Stoke at all. Thought that about Moyes at West Ham though and they have improved no end.
I'm not sure he's the answer either, just think he's unfairly tarnished by the media and his time at Villa. I don't think the budget statement is a fair reflection though as twice he took over teams ina mess/trouble with the season underway:

Took Norwich from L1 to the PL with back to back promotions and then kept them up in the PL.
Deciding to leave then and go to Villa was a mistake but he still kept them up for 2 years under Lerner's ownership with a policy of signing talented kids.
Did less than a season at Blackburn with an inherited squad in November and got out quick from the Venkys.
Did less than a season at Wolves, again with no summer transfer window and guided them to mid table safety after taking over in 19th. Left by mutual agreement before a club takeover.

NorthernWisdom

I'm not sure he's the answer either, just think he's unfairly tarnished by the media and his time at Villa. I don't think the budget statement is a fair reflection though as twice he took over teams ina mess/trouble with the season underway:

Took Norwich from L1 to the PL with back to back promotions and then kept them up in the PL.
Deciding to leave then and go to Villa was a mistake but he still kept them up for 2 years under Lerner's ownership with a policy of signing talented kids.
Did less than a season at Blackburn with an inherited squad in November and got out quick from the Venkys.
Did less than a season at Wolves, again with no summer transfer window and guided them to mid table safety after taking over in 19th. Left by mutual agreement before a club takeover.
Yup, Villa's the failure... and they were on a downward trajectory. Planned takeovers never happened either. When at Norwich he was hot property, and he's also got experience in different football cultures to the English one, too.

it's an interesting move by Stoke. No idea how it'll pan out, but it does seem to be looking at the qualifications rather than whether he's current flavour of the month, which is refreshing.

clint van damme

Think he made a huge career mistake going to villa.
Club was being run very badly at the time by an owner desperate to get out and a fanbase with unrealistic expectations.

Think he made a huge career mistake going to villa.
Club was being run very badly at the time by an owner desperate to get out and a fanbase with unrealistic expectations.
That was one of those moves where after a takeover he wouldn't have been considered for the job, so he took a punt and the takeover never happened.

Also I wonder as a prospective manager how much access does the club give you to the real state of affairs??

As a Manchester City supporter we had Dave Bassett for a little under 24hrs(although officially he never signed a contract), but apparently he was so shocked at how bad things where he left. His successor only managed 33 days so I'm guessing neither where told very much!!!

NorthernWisdom

That was one of those moves where after a takeover he wouldn't have been considered for the job, so he took a punt and the takeover never happened.

Also I wonder as a prospective manager how much access does the club give you to the real state of affairs??

As a Manchester City supporter we had Dave Bassett for a little under 24hrs(although officially he never signed a contract), but apparently he was so shocked at how bad things where he left. His successor only managed 33 days so I'm guessing neither where told very much!!!
God knows what Pressley was sold when he came here, but it persuaded him that a club on the verge of administration, and a move to Northampton was a good career move!

Terry Gibson's perm

The more I think about this appointment the more I think it’s a good one for Stoke and they have a good squad not sure if he is a hands on manager but from the things I have heard he couldn’t do any less coaching than Hughes

The more I think about this appointment the more I think it’s a good one for Stoke and they have a good squad not sure if he is a hands on manager but from the things I have heard he couldn’t do any less coaching than Hughes
Hughes doesn't do any coaching its pretty much all delegated to Eddie Niedzwiecki, but I better stay off talking about Mark Hughes for my blood pressure!

Adge

God knows what Pressley was sold when he came here, but it persuaded him that a club on the verge of administration, and a move to Northampton was a good career move!
The only remit Pressley had was to cut the wage bill in half and get as many academy players into the team as possible. Basically a blueprint of what he done in Scotland.

Users who are viewing this thread