Paul Fletcher : Ground Share will never work (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

Where Fletcher says he would need 12 hours to explain where it has gone wrong Simon should have said I have all the time in the world and crack on.

Captain Dart

Last edited:

chiefdave

Man with vested interest in new stadium development says build a new stadium whilst failing to adequately explain the business case behind his pronouncements. :whistle:

You might want to read the article as he says it would be stupid to build a new stadium!

SkyBlueCharlie

Totally different situation isn't it?

It was tongue in cheek riposte to Fletcher's assertions that to get into and remain in the Premiership a club must own it's own stadium and cannot successfully ground share. Swansea neither own their ground and they have a very successful relationship with the Ospreys. They seem to be doing pretty well at the moment considering that. Probably a good job Mr Fletcher has never been involved there?

Captain Dart

You might want to read the article as he says it would be stupid to build a new stadium!

So he does, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't get past Fletcher putting his oar in. Well it is all doom & gloom then isn't it.

SkyBlueCharlie

Hull City and Hull

Don't you start as well...next thing you know Grendel will joining in.
icon10.png

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So one of the guys who was involved on both sides of the table in setting up the original mess (from 2002 to 2007) has nothing useful to add....... and the CT think its an exclusive

Can't work ground sharing, but cant build own stadium, ........ no contradiction there then

go figure :facepalm:

fernandopartridge

It was tongue in cheek riposte to Fletcher's assertions that to get into and remain in the Premiership a club must own it's own stadium and cannot successfully ground share. Swansea neither own their ground and they have a very successful relationship with the Ospreys. They seem to be doing pretty well at the moment considering that. Probably a good job Mr Fletcher has never been involved there?

What's your point? Do Swansea pay rent to Ospreys to use the stadium on matchdays only?

Captain Dart

christonabike

I will take £120k a year rent any time if we are a club who cant afford to build a shit-house rather than borrow tens of millions to build a stadium half the size of the Ricoh.;)

SkyBlueCharlie

I know, but Charlie was comparing the situation to CCFC's.

No Fernando, I was trying to show the lack of knowledge in Fletcher's comment that it was not possible to get into the Premiership and remain there UNLESS you owned your own ground and it was not possible to be successful by ground sharing. Even a little knowledge would show that Swansea do not own their own ground and also successfully ground share with Ospreys which refutes Fletcher's assertions. I accept that the situation we are in is very different but that was not what I intended to refer to.

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Swansea group accounts makes interesting reading

They have made profits of 1.7m and 1.3m in 2015 and 214 respectively

85% of their £103 turnover is from the media sources. Match income is £7m and commercial income £9m with around £2m from other sources. So if they earn £85m in the Premiership from media sources is that dependent on them owning the ground or not. It would seem not given the nature of that income and the set up they have........ so why do they or CCFC need to own their ground to have major income or be in the Premiership?

They also have a total of 307 employees and wage costs of £82.5m

pay less than £210k in interest

They have a deficit on the current assets to current liabilities of £33m but overall the balance sheet is £21m in the black

They own Freehold property (training facilities etc I assume) £6m and short term lease £5.3m. That means they must have paid out these significant sums to acquire the rights

There is £15m secured bank overdraft

They paid £1m out to shareholders in 2015 and 2014

They also have lease property commitments at £100k pa

The group along with Ospreys indemnify the stadium company against all losses that it can not pay for any reason

There is no one controlling party for the group

Chalk and cheese comparing to CCFC

Last edited:

Calista

Much of what Fletcher says is pointless IMO. Seems to me that the train is pulling away from us, but it’s not because of stadium revenues, it’s because of TV money.

The stadium was the vital platform (excuse the pun) we needed ten years ago to establish ourselves in and around the Premier League. It’s all ten times more difficult now, because there are about 30 teams who completely outgun us in terms of wages. What we need now is a genius manager who can defy the odds. If anyone can do it, TM can.

Skyblueweeman

So one of the guys who was involved on both sides of the table in setting up the original mess (from 2002 to 2007) has nothing useful to add....... and the CT think its an exclusive

Can't work ground sharing, but cant build own stadium, ........ no contradiction there then

go figure :facepalm:

I assume he would've been involved in the rental agreements OSB? If so, surely he's partly responsible for an unsustainable rental plan?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Could be wrong but I believe he was one of the signatories on the lease and licence agreement, not sure if it was for ACL or CCFC though

Sick Boy

We have any ambitions to compete in the Championship, then it certainly is doomed.

It seems that plenty are happy for us to trundle along as it got one over on sisu.

shy_tall_knight

It's all so depressing seeing those pictures, thinking naively that it was the start of a new begining but nearly 11 years on it has been a disaster. Always liked Paul Fletcher seemed to talk such good business sense but it rarely works when a gamekeeper becomes a poacher. Also in 2006/07 he sanctioned the spending of a lot of money partially funded by the Sheffers sale, resigning when he thought that we were a financial basket case which he had help to develop and encouarage as we bought KK Leon Mc, Birchall Tabb etc..when we clearly didn't have the money.

I had also forgotten about Manhatten Sports but Bolton were bought in the week

oldfiver

Who on both sides signed the original licence?
John McGuigan and Paul Fletcher for ACL. Geoffrey Robinson and Mal Brannigan for CCFC

Now there is a grouping

covboy1987

Current £100,000 rent is peanuts- one decent crowd in league one would cover that for the full season -I am sure that the rent would increase the further went up the tree but so would the revenues -great teams such as Bayern Munich, Milan, Roma, Panathinaikos, ground share the list is endless, in Europe it is a common theme - many thousands of business throughout the Uk rent/lease there buildings sorry Mr fletcher

Users who are viewing this thread