Parking Fine (1 Viewer)

Winny the Bish

Found a parking fine slapped on my windscreen this morning for parking on the curb outside my house in a bloody cul-de-sac miles from any parking restrictions. The most annoying part...it was only my car that got a bloody ticket despite others being out there!

Have I got a chance if I challenge it or should I just pay up?

ccfc92

Found a parking fine slapped on my windscreen this morning for parking on the curb outside my house in a bloody cul-de-sac miles from any parking restrictions. The most annoying part...it was only my car that got a bloody ticket despite others being out there!

Is it a council one?

pastythegreat

Had it in my mums street years back. Parked on the kerb, opposite a blokes drive, turns out he was mates will some copper who clearly abused his power to drive over from Chase ave especially to ignore every other car in the street to put a ticket on mine, and mine alone.
Very nearly got arrested for telling them what I thought of them.
Thing is, all the bloke had to do was ask nicely, not bang the door off its hinges and demand I moved my car like he did. He needed to get his van out to go to work, once I'd got the ticket though, I just left it on, and my car in his way for 3 days and walked to work. Eventually I needed the car so had to move it

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Is it illegal to park there?
What was the violation, don't they have to list a reason?

ajsccfc

If blocking the pavement is a fine they could make millions from the people in the streets around me alone.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Siunds treasonable one of my pet hates seeing disabled people and parents with kids having to go on the road with selfish Parker’s

I agree with the sentiment but down my sisters street if everyone parked on the road it would be literally unpassable because there wouldn't be sufficient space to get between them which isn't good for emergency vehicles. She's been told she's not allowed to turn her front garden into a drive as it's not big enough.

ajsccfc

It fucking should be. But so should ensuring that residential areas have enough parking. Even new build estates have cars on the pavement.

Yeah ours is a new estate and it's rife. In most cases it's not too bad as they're only slightly on the pavement to allow space on the road for cars to pass so nobody's really being obstructed, but walking round with a pushchair you see some people literally blocking the entire pavement and parked over dropped kerbs. It's annoying enough for me but anyone trying to get around in a wheelchair would have no chance without having to go onto the road, it's not even lack of available space so much as arseholes who want to park outside their door and fuck anyone else

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yeah it is a council one. Two wheels were too far on the pavement apparently.
As far as I am aware it is not illegal to park on the kerb . London is the only place where it is illegal in England which carries an instant penalty fine simply for that act. . It is recommended not to park on the pavement but it doesn't yet attract a fine within law as such although of course it may attract a fine for actually blocking the pathway to pedestrians or wheelchair users. I think you have grounds to appeal if ,by parking fully on the road you are blocking the right of way of any of the emergency services and therefore are acting in the interests of safety.
Plus of course if all the houses are 3 bed or more and there is only off road parking for one vehicle what the bloody hell do they expect ?
Cul-de-sacs are notorious for this, simply because there is less room to park.

Last edited:

shmmeee

As far as I am aware it is not illegal to park on the kerb . London is the only place where it is illegal in England which carries an instant penalty fine simply for that act. . It is recommended not to park on the pavement but it doesn't yet attract a fine within law as such although of course it may attract a fine for actually blocking the pathway to pedestrians or wheelchair users. I think you have grounds to appeal if ,by parking fully on the road you are blocking the right of way of any of the emergency services and therefore are acting in the interests of safety.
Plus of course if all the houses are 3 bed or more and there is only off road parking for one vehicle what the bloody hell do they expect ?
Cul-de-sacs are notorious for this, simply because there is less room to park.

I used to live in a cul-de-sac in Foleshill, constant parking tickets but the council not only did nothing to stop other illegal parking, also refused to implement a residents parking scheme unless we (poverty stricken Foleshillers) paid for it, and even took away some parking by painting unnecessary double yellows. They’d send people down that road for easy tickets and never get the obvious stuff on Foleshill Road either.

Mcbean

I think someone has already mentioned emergency access and some of the new estates would be gridlocked unless some did park on the kerb - basic issue is cars per household has gone up appreciably but developers only have to provide in some cases two spaces - maybe a garage plus one other or two long spaces

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think someone has already mentioned emergency access and some of the new estates would be gridlocked unless some did park on the kerb - basic issue is cars per household has gone up appreciably but developers only have to provide in some cases two spaces - may a garage a one other or two long spaces

A lot of the garages aren't even big enough to fit a modern car in - they're just there to tick the box. They are effectively a store room.

I've been wondering about having the ground floor of houses just being a garage with living space above, especially in places which could have a flooding problem. Another option is MSCP's between rows of houses as residential parking, although it would need a special key/fob etc to ensure security.

OffenhamSkyBlue

In general, new housing estates have a greater requirement for cycle storage spaces than car parking, but most will insist on two spaces off the road for a new house. However, land and house prices are such that the best way to get bang for your buck if you are a builder is to make the roads narrower so you can fit more houses on your plot of land. Round our way, there isn't even space for ONE car to park on the road and allow a fire appliance through, let alone parking both sides!

ajsccfc

Garage thing rings true, ours is big enough to drive into but only so long as you don't have people trying to get out on both sides of the car.

shmmeee

A lot of the garages aren't even big enough to fit a modern car in - they're just there to tick the box. They are effectively a store room.

I've been wondering about having the ground floor of houses just being a garage with living space above, especially in places which could have a flooding problem. Another option is MSCP's between rows of houses as residential parking, although it would need a special key/fob etc to ensure security.

Hopefully we are only a decade or so from mass shared transport and this problem goes away.

shmmeee

Garage thing rings true, ours is big enough to drive into but only so long as you don't have people trying to get out on both sides of the car.

I do a lot of work with house builders, their mantra is get as much sqft on as possible. To the extent of some buying up old council estates similar to Canley with lots of green space and increasing the density. I hate it. We need much better minimum space laws all round, we have the worst housing stock in the western world pretty much.

It’s not like these companies are at risk of going bust. The fag packet property development calculation is a third of the sale price is profit.

Users who are viewing this thread