Papering the crowd? (1 Viewer)

lordsummerisle

Know there has been a lot of talk about Wasps giving away an awful lot of free tickets, but generally to schools, sponsors etc.

Just had weekly email from Ticketmaster, and offering TWO FREE tickets for the supposedly massive game in Premier Rugby terms on Sunday for Wasps v Saracens.

All for a 3 pound booking fee.

Smacks a bit of desperation to me.

chiefdave

I would love for Wasps, and everyone else in any sport for that matter, to have to report attendances as actual attendance (not counting season ticket holders who haven't shown up), paid attendance and ticket revenue.

Unless that ever happens it's always going to be an element of guesswork. Saying that I don't even live in Cov and have been offered tickets for several Wasps games so clearly there's plenty of freebies knocking around in addition to the schools and clubs tickets they publicised.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's obvious the actual paying crowd is a lot less than what is being announced, how many more is just guesswork. If they can keep saying we got X time the crowd would have been at Adams Park or we got X number of fans more than CCFC they can keep telling us it is a success and hope that somewhere along the line it will become a success.

stupot07

Me too

d02ca3861969f7195a2e1c2b4f43350d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

shmmeee

Crazy, almost like they're trying to build a fanbase. Nutters. They should just do no advertising, no investment and guilt trip people into going because they need to "support the team". That would be far better.

Moff

Crazy, almost like they're trying to build a fanbase. Nutters. They should just do no advertising, no investment and guilt trip people into going because they need to "support the team". That would be far better.

Didnt you know they had a fanbase in London, but fucked off and left them.

dongonzalos

Very sensible marketing.
Firstly increase the support for your team on the day.
Secondly some will stick. Even if it's one in twenty who become regular paying customers it will be worth it.

CCFC should have considered whether they can do it for TM's first home game.

shmmeee

Didnt you know they had a fanbase in London, but fucked off and left them.

Not entirely sure that's relevant or even true, the only people I see complaining are CCFC fans.

The point still stands, compare CCFC who had a fanbase in Cov and fucked off and left them and what they've done to repair that with Wasps to had a fanbase in London and fucked off and left them (apparently, even though they've been moving around for ages and the fans are behind the move).

Just saying, to drag this completely off topic thread back to the topic of the forum, maybe as they seem to be doing better at rebuilding a fan base we should take some notes.

Moff

Very sensible marketing.
Firstly increase the support for your team on the day.
Secondly some will stick. Even if it's one in twenty who become regular paying customers it will be worth it.

CCFC should have considered whether they can do it for TM's first home game.

Ok take away the majority of London support once the season is over and free transport dries up.

Then you look at your projection of 1 in 20 sticking of the free tickets which is say 250 out of 5000 tickets, if you say the current attendances of 15k are 4000 London fans, 6000 locals and 5000 freebies, and low and behold you have Wycombe sized crowds now in Coventry. Well done, but at least they have the bar takings!

Moff

Not entirely sure that's relevant or even true, the only people I see complaining are CCFC fans..

I didnt see anyone complaining, just a post saying wasps are giving out free tickets.

I think it is relevant they had a fanbase in Wycombe, seeing as you were making a point that they are trying to build a fanbase here, which is essentially due to them leaving Wycombe. That is unless you believe all the Wycombe fans were already from the Coventry area, as you seem to be implying it isnt true they had a fanbase there?

Nick

Administrator
Not entirely sure that's relevant or even true, the only people I see complaining are CCFC fans.

Like when CCFC apparently did this and city fans acted like Tim Fisher had just punched their gran in the throat you mean?

It is either good marketing or desperation both ways isn't it?

dongonzalos

I dont see how this is CCFC related?

Because people are suggesting CCFC should do the same. In order to try and rebuild the fan base.

I have heard a lot of people saying they won't or can't afford to pay 18-22 quid for what's been delivered this season.

Have TM's first game free if we play this attractive brand of football who knows who might start coming back.

Promise those who have already paid for a ticket they will get a free match next season.

Nick

Administrator
Because people are suggesting CCFC should do the same. In order to try and rebuild the fan base.

I have heard a lot of people saying they won't or can't afford to pay 18-22 quid for what's been delivered this season.

Have TM's first game free if we play this attractive brand of football who knows who might start coming back.

Promise those who have already paid for a ticket they will get a free match next season.

I keep seeing people say they wont pay £22. You can go for £14 a game, I have been all season.

Now the half season ticket offer has been publicized, isn't that about £12?

dongonzalos

Like when CCFC apparently did this and city fans acted like Tim Fisher had just punched their gran in the throat you mean?

It is either good marketing or desperation both ways isn't it?

If Wasps had come in here expecting that they would get 10k plus fans without such campaigns then it would be desperation.

However they have done this from the beginning of their tenure. So it was planned for and is not desperation.

What did interest me though in terms of potential concern for them was the recent board shuffle.

Sub

Be good if CCFC could work with the wasps, where wasp give free CCFC tickets and CCFC give free wasp tickets if you attend a footy or egg chasers match that way it could help both clubs and get more people in and build a closer relationship between the two owners ? just an idea

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
If Wasps had come in here expecting that they would get 10k plus fans without such campaigns then it would be desperation.

However they have done this from the beginning of their tenure. So it was planned for and is not desperation.

What did interest me though in terms of potential concern for them was the recent board shuffle.

so the fact it started off as local school freebies and now it is freebies for anybody who wants them doesn't look as if it is changing slightly?

Remember the outrage at Sixfields about the free tickets? I remember somebody demanding for people to own up, I also remember another certain person who likes Wasps now having digs at "locals" who were apparently going to Sixfields on free tickets.

dongonzalos

I keep seeing people say they wont pay £22. You can go for £14 a game, I have been all season.

I know and I do point that out when I hear it. However is that not if you commit to so many games.
Obviously it's ok with the season ticket.
However if they are despondent like they clearly are. They would need an incentive to test the water. If they enjoy it again and rekindle their passion who knows!!!

They won't risk that for 18-22 quid.

We should have grasped a big marketing deal on the back of TM's appointment say a tenner and hoped to God he plays attractive footy.

The Gillingham game IMO was still a dour affair on the pitch. Amazing off it. Not exciting enough on it to retain those fans.

Evo1883

Still have no clue why some ccfc fans stick up for wasps lol .
Laughable

dongonzalos

so the fact it started off as local school freebies and now it is freebies for anybody who wants them doesn't look as if it is changing slightly?

Remember the outrage at Sixfields about the free tickets? I remember somebody demanding for people to own up, I also remember another certain person who likes Wasps now having digs at "locals" who were apparently going to Sixfields on free tickets.

For me anything Sixfields related was quite straight forward and proven by the recent accounts. The less Cov fans that went to Sixfields made a massive point and hurt SISU in a way not expected. It was not sustainable with the FFP rules. Not attending was the most effective thing fans could do to get us to return. The club still have the threat of a return there if they want it. The club should know even less fans would attend if they did it again.
Locals attending or freebies given out would have made no difference to the pressure on the club to return.

It was never about franchising as the FL would not allow that.
The club were right to try and give free tickets hoping people would return and pay having got them. Although I totally disagree with why we were there. However if you are the chairman and want to keep us there you need the fan base.

It shows though that with no fans the model does not work. If the club do something outrageous like that ever again. Fans should realise their only weapon is non attendance.

Nick

Administrator
The Gillingham game IMO was still a dour affair on the pitch. Amazing off it. Not exciting enough on it to retain those fans.

If we had won 4-0 we would have had less than 20k the next game, even 15k

I could understand if we lost 5-0 that night, it wasn't the most entertaining game but we still won, there was a great atmosphere and when the goal went in it was electric.

The fact is most only go for occasions, probably the same people who went to the first Wasps game, the Crewe game, the Chelsea game and went to see Chilli Peppers even though they probably don't know who they are.

dongonzalos

If we had won 4-0 we would have had less than 20k the next game, even 15k

I could understand if we lost 5-0 that night, it wasn't the most entertaining game but we still won, there was a great atmosphere and when the goal went in it was electric.

The fact is most only go for occasions, probably the same people who went to the first Wasps game, the Crewe game, the Chelsea game and went to see Chilli Peppers even though they probably don't know who they are.

The atmosphere was amazing, the footy wasn't.
I completely agree exciting football would have got 15k for the next match.

If we had lost I think we would have got 8-9k like now so the win would have had an effect.

I just hope TM does play attractive footy and when he does. We do a free match and start to try and entice the fan base again.

duffer

The point still stands, compare CCFC who had a fanbase in Cov and fucked off and left them and what they've done to repair that with Wasps to had a fanbase in London and fucked off and left them (apparently, even though they've been moving around for ages and the fans are behind the move).

Just saying, to drag this completely off topic thread back to the topic of the forum, maybe as they seem to be doing better at rebuilding a fan base we should take some notes.

Bullshit. The fans in London were not behind the move. The club weren't 'nomadic'. Continually repeating a lie doesn't make it true.

The point about the free tickets is obvious. It's unsustainable, and points to Wasps being at best a risky proposition. If people here are annoyed by it, then who can blame them - they don't care for being taken for idiots by others repeating the rubbish above, and pretending that the move is indisputably a great deal for Coventry.

chiefdave

Isn't this one of the games that was being pointed to as a huge game that would be a virtual sell out without the need for freebies? If anything the amount of free tickets is increasing. I can't believe this was Wasps plan starting out. Initially they only publicised free tickets for schools and clubs for the first three games and weren't shouting from the rooftops about other offers available. Now they're giving free tickets to anyone who wants them, that can't be a good thing.

They're in danger of devaluing their product. Once people are used to free tickets there is every chance they won't ever want to pay full price. We're past the point of come along and try it out, this is now a sustained campaign of cheap & free tickets. If you say tickets for our matches are £25 a go but then SISU did an offer on every game this season to make all tickets £10 when they were back at full price next season people would view it as a huge increase not the end of an offer and sit at home moaning about how it is so expensive now they can't afford to go.

Be interesting to see what happens when they stop the freebies, which is now looking now it will be next season at the earliest. Unless they do very cheap season tickets or something like that there could be a big drop off. The London & Wycombe based ST holders aren't all likely to renew once the free transport and F&B dries up so they've got to replace those for starters. And of course by then the novelty could be starting to wear off.

I'm still not convinced that a loss making Wasps + struggling ACL = success for both. The downside for us is it gives SISU a reason to keep hanging on in the hope they can get the Ricoh even cheaper than Wasps picked it up and possibly without the loan.

torchomatic

I went to see Blaze the other week with my lad - people looked fucking ridiculous with those massive tops on - anyway, I'm now on their mailing list and they're offering a "deal" with Wasps and tickets are just a fiver.

torchomatic

And yet MMM, Dongo, Italia and the "usual lot" will tell us how well they are doing, how financially viable the move was, etc etc. We all want cheap tickets at CCFC so more people could attend but doing it game after game won't help pay that loan off, will it?

Isn't this one of the games that was being pointed to as a huge game that would be a virtual sell out without the need for freebies? If anything the amount of free tickets is increasing. I can't believe this was Wasps plan starting out. Initially they only publicised free tickets for schools and clubs for the first three games and weren't shouting from the rooftops about other offers available. Now they're giving free tickets to anyone who wants them, that can't be a good thing.

They're in danger of devaluing their product. Once people are used to free tickets there is every chance they won't ever want to pay full price. We're past the point of come along and try it out, this is now a sustained campaign of cheap & free tickets. If you say tickets for our matches are £25 a go but then SISU did an offer on every game this season to make all tickets £10 when they were back at full price next season people would view it as a huge increase not the end of an offer and sit at home moaning about how it is so expensive now they can't afford to go.

Be interesting to see what happens when they stop the freebies, which is now looking now it will be next season at the earliest. Unless they do very cheap season tickets or something like that there could be a big drop off. The London & Wycombe based ST holders aren't all likely to renew once the free transport and F&B dries up so they've got to replace those for starters. And of course by then the novelty could be starting to wear off.

I'm still not convinced that a loss making Wasps + struggling ACL = success for both. The downside for us is it gives SISU a reason to keep hanging on in the hope they can get the Ricoh even cheaper than Wasps picked it up and possibly without the loan.

tisza

I don't get the fuss on this. Wasps have been here4 months and aren't going to build a new fanbase overnight.
a frequent call for ccfc is much more kids for a quid in order to get people through the gates and try and build up the younger fanbase for the future.

Ashdown

I went to see Blaze the other week with my lad - people looked fucking ridiculous with those massive tops on - anyway, I'm now on their mailing list and they're offering a "deal" with Wasps and tickets are just a fiver.

Just admit it, you bought one and are hoping to 'bulk out' over the next few months to fill it out ! Glad you tried the Ice hockey though, it's an acquired taste but a good night out for the youngsters !

Users who are viewing this thread