Our Formation what is it? (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBri

Time after time I see opposition teams setting up 4 4 2 or 4 4 1 1 and holding that formation rigidly, whilst our players are all over the place. If your Barcelona you can do this total movement with players swopping around, we are Div 1 and need a simple formation everyone buys into and sticks too. So at present what formation are we playing? Last night all I saw was a load of headless chickens!

coop

Colchesters movement last night was far superior to ours hence why they look more of a threat.All of our players are to static.

Nick

Administrator
Colchesters movement last night was far superior to ours hence why they look more of a threat.All of our players are to static.

It happens week after week :( Throw ins are embarrasing.

No movement into the box at all. LAst night Colchester went forward, they all went forward.

Otis

It doesn't help that we don't have pace at fullback. Lorentzson isn't quick and neither is Ricketts, nor Stokes either.

Something that needs addressing next season. We need overlapping full backs. Ours do overlap, but it is rare and they lack the pace.

Have to say, Murphy is one of the worst for being static. When Armstrong is playing he always has good movement and is trying to find space. Quite often Murphy just waits for the ball to be played to him.

Not enough of our players are making the necessary runs.

steve82

I'm more thinking it's not the formation, more the last of desire to move.... To many standing looking. First 25 mins last night we were so narrow and always being overlapped with ease.
How many times did Martin pass to Jones who tried to do something but had to pass back and play be switched, to then hold his hands out to the rest and say where are you..

Nick

Administrator
I'm more thinking it's not the formation, more the last of desire to move.... To many standing looking. First 25 mins last night we were so narrow and always being overlapped with ease.
How many times did Martin pass to Jones who tried to do something but had to pass back and play be switched, to then hold his hands out to the rest and say where are you..

Exactly.

Fleck has that invisible line he can't cross.

I like Rose in that aspect, he bombs it to support up front.

ClarkeZ

I agree, there was a lot of that happening.
Especially the first 10-15 minutes Jodi seemed the only one really showing any intensity at all. Murphy hid behind the nearest defender he could find, MAF, bless him, was trying to peel off the last defender a few times but Fleck normally had the ball and has been watching too much rugby given where his shots were going.

The formation is supposed to be 4-2-3-1. But cole ended up in the back 4 and Fleck a sweeper for most of the game. Vince and Lorentzon were playing as strikers in the second half, poor Jones probably didn't know who was who or if he was supposed to be on the wing or in goal.

steve82

Rose I really like tho I don't see how he fits in a 4231 formation to get the best out of his box to box ability.
Maybe a change of formation is on the cards next season. 433? 532 with wing backs?

rd45

It happens week after week :( Throw ins are embarrasing.

No movement into the box at all. LAst night Colchester went forward, they all went forward.

Don't get me started on throw ins. You know you're going to get 15-20 plus in every single game. But we look like we're scared to death every time & have no fucking idea what to do with them. That one early in the first half with Ricketts was a joke - you're the fucking captain mate - tell them where you want them? Don't just stand there looking.

Only player who turned up in the box last night was Vincelot, which I really couldn't understand. He played in the back four vs Peterborough? And now he's in the box?

steve82

Don't get me started on throw ins. You know you're going to get 15-20 plus in every single game. But we look like we're scared to death every time & have no fucking idea what to do with them. That one in the first half with Ricketts was a joke - you're the fucking captain mate - tell them where you want them? Don't just stand there looking.

Only player who turned up in the box last night was Vincelot, which I really couldn't understand. He played in the back four vs Peterborough? And now he's in the box?

Murphy was 5-10 yards in front of him screaming at him for it. Loud and clear was directly in front of me. Murphy had space any everything... Ricketts did nothing for 10 seconds at least, ignored him didn't even say no find another spot... I wanna go long... Nothing. I thought ref may of booked him was taking so long

Nick

Administrator
Murphy was 5-10 yards in front of him screaming at him for it. Loud and clear was directly in front of me. Murphy had space any everything... Ricketts did nothing for 10 seconds at least, ignored him didn't even say no find another spot... I wanna go long... Nothing. I thought ref may of booked him was taking so long

Did you see in the 2nd half when Ricketts had it, Murphy was open and in a good position. He looked at Murphy, then changed his mind and went the other way.

Confidence issues?

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Nostradamus couldn't hazard a guess at our formation, the players don't know, we don't know and I'm not entirely sure Mowbray does!

rd45

I was further over - couldn't work out what the fuck was going on. But those two clearly have zero understanding between them. Ricketts gets the ball on the left, it's a dead end every time. Murphy didn't know whether to stay or make a run - makes no difference either way because Ricketts passes back every time anyway.

I really lost it with Ricketts at Sheff Utd away - he had Rubén in front of him there, and never passed to him either.

steve82

Last nights formation really had me guessing after their goal.
Ricketts was playing as a inside forward which I thought was a good idea as he's could do no harm up there out the way... Tho many times was found in good space where Murphy should of been, but failed to cross a ball opting to pass inside to fleck.
MAF was also playing out wide most the time leaving no one at all in the box. Too many times we had no sky blue shirt in the box to hit.
Second half I think only RCC, Martin and Stephens actually stayed in there position. Was a bit like a u8's game... Everyone anywhere.

Nick

Administrator
Last nights formation really had me guessing after their goal.
Ricketts was playing as a inside forward which I thought was a good idea as he's could do no harm up there out the way... Tho many times was found in good space where Murphy should of been, but failed to cross a ball opting to pass inside to fleck.
MAF was also playing out wide most the time leaving no one at all in the box. Too many times we had no sky blue shirt in the box to hit.
Second half I think only RCC, Martin and Stephens actually stayed in there position. Was a bit like a u8's game... Everyone anywhere.

Nope, Stephens was often Left Midfield too!

That could well be they don't have confidence in the system if they start changing shit like that.

steve82

Nope, Stephens was often Left Midfield too!

That could well be they don't have confidence in the system if they start changing shit like that.

Yes sorry my son said that just now. Put a half decent ball in apparently, half chance for Tudgay.
So that leaves the keeper and Martin. So is that a 1342? Who knows!!
RCC should of threw his gloves down and played rush keeper!!

SkyblueBri

Early in the season we kept width with our wingers right on both side lines now everyone bunches together, so if we get the ball on the right the left winger is in the center circle not on the wing with space to run into.
What on earth do they do in practice?

StevieM

Ricketts spent the whole of the second half glued to the touchline!
We may as well have had 10 men, he spent 45 minutes watching the game.
We need a leader, some one who will play every game, who the other players either respect or are fritshit of, and most importantly leads by example.

NB.Mr Ricketts need not apply.

percy

ive moaned about this for ages. our two cdm's play to deep when we are not in possession almost doubling up as cb's. we are then left with a big massive gap between the midfield lines and this is where we get over run. fleck and vincelot should be playing 5 or 10 tards higher up the pitch, we dont need 4 cb's.

Users who are viewing this thread