Our Downfall - Tactics (1 Viewer)

SBS

After another painful to watch defeat, it has surely got to be time for a change in tactics. I'm sick of hearing about the diamond formation, mainly because we're still using it when it is blindingly obvious it doesn't work.

Adam Barton in my opinion, looks like someone who can command the midfield, especially sat next to Jennings. I really don't get why we play him on the right?! He's not the paciest and his talent is wasted out there. He's not the type who can run at players and our lack of width means that time and time again, we are attacked on the wings. I haven't seen the replay of the goal, but I'm sure it came from down that side as Jordan Clarke had tucked in, and noone tracked the spare man Crewe had on that side. He hit it back across the face of goal and that was it. Its a similar story on the other side of the pitch, with Kilbane moving inside leaving Hussey with two.

Another thing that I think every Coventry fan finds frustrating, dragging every player back for corners. It leaves us with no quick attacking outlet and gives the opposition an easy ball back into the box. Makes no sense! We should have teams scared of us, leave one or two up top and show a bit of confidence in our defence.

This is the last sort of post I wanted to make today. The performance against Brum was cracking, but once again we fall back into old habits. I find it annoying when fans turn on the players too quickly, but today I felt it was justified. I didn't expect us to walk this division, but I certainly didn't expect us to get walked over in games like this.

Get Dennis Wise in ASAP.

PVA

Barton isn't playing right midfield. He's playing on the right of the two central midfielders.

Basically he's playing central midfield. His best position.

SBS

What I'm trying to say though is that he might start CM, but he's too often dragged out onto the right, leaving space behind him for an easy pass. He tucks back inside and their full back is again in acres of space. He should be in the centre of the park.

Tomh111

I dont understand how people keep calling for a change in formation? WE HAVE NO WINGERS IN THE SQUAD!!!! Bell, Mcsheffery and thats it. Baker is an attacking center mid like fleck before somebody says we have him as well. I honestly dont know what we can change to?

Otis

Barton isn't playing right midfield. He's playing on the right of the two central midfielders.

Basically he's playing central midfield. His best position.

Isn't playing to the right of two central midfielders 'playing right midfield?'

Lord_Nampil

The problem i have with the tactics is the fact clearly today, No one from the Coventry staff new how Crewe were going to play, Tactics are one thing, thinking the tactics will be good enough to beat any team is another! We should have done our home work, thats a worry!

SkyBlue_Bear83

No!

Right midfield is... RM - CM - CM - LM

Barton is centre midfield...

DM

CM - CM

AM
He isn't playing in a conventional central midfielder role though is he though. He is playing like a tucked in wide player or a central midfield player slightly wide which ever way you want to describe it. He has to help his full back out defensively and offensively like a wide player would do

anyway I don't think Barton is all he is made out to be from what I have seen so far

SkyBlue_Bear83

The problem i have with the tactics is the fact clearly today, No one from the Coventry staff new how Crewe were going to play, Tactics are one thing, thinking the tactics will be good enough to beat any team is another! We should have done our home work, thats a worry!
How do you know this then? If true it is a worry

ampthill_sba

We should play 5-3-2 formation it's really attacking.

Three centre halves with two pacy full backs (which we have in Hussey and Christie/Clarke) when they be less focused on defending and less worried about losing possession.

Three across midfield with the strongest ball winner in the centre. Forwards can be two little ones or a big-small combo.

Do you think if we played Barcelona and we played 442 and they played a diamond that we would hammer them?

Obviously not.............. It's about the players and their motivation as well as ability not the bloody formation. Sick of hearing it now.

SkyBlueArmy

--------GK--------
LB--CB--CB--RB
---CDM--CDM---
--------CM--------
--LAM----RAM--
-------STR-------

Could play this. Normal back four. When under presure the CDM should cover the side's FBs and the CM can come back and hold the middle. This way we can be covers down the flanks and in centre park while leaving three men up for the counter attack.

GK. Murphy
LB. Hussey
CB. Edge
CB. Wood
RB. Clarke (when fit)
LDM. Kilbane
RDM. Jennings
CM. Barton
LAM. Fleck (when fit)
RAM. Baker
STR. Elliot

Possible Subs: Dunn, Brown,
Wilis, Christie, Cameron Thomas, McSheffery, Ball, Mcgoldrick

We could change the game around if it's not going our way by sucking Ball on playing the long ball game and if our defence is under really heavy attack we could move the AMs back to help the team were weak whether be flank or central positions.

That's what I would do if I was manager deciding my tactics. Stuff the diamond! This with a motivated manager forcing the players to chase down track back and a fitness coach or something. Dennis Wise could do the trick he'd bark the orders making the players play under fear.

SBS

Do you think if we played Barcelona and we played 442 and they played a diamond that we would hammer them?

Obviously not.............. It's about the players and their motivation as well as ability not the bloody formation. Sick of hearing it now.

This is probably the strangest post I've ever seen on this forum. You're basically saying tactics are irrelevant? And your using the example of Coventry vs Barcalona as your justification?

Every week seems to get worse and worse as a Cov fan. We need someone in charge who's not going to take shit off anyone, whether its the players, board or fans. There is too much of a gap between everyone at the club. We need someone who's going to come in, take control and stamp his authority on this club. Look what Di Canio has done at Swindon. Yes, he's a bit wild, but he's not afraid of upsetting anyone. Dennis Wise is the man to do this for us. We need to unite, urgently.

Mucca Mad Boys

People who think the diamond doesn't, that's fair enough, but Shaw and others know other systems won't suit aswell.

Also, we switched to 4-4-2 and we still did shit, so can't really moan about the formation.

I think playing 120m definately had an impact, but I ask Shaw, why did you keep the same XI*, especially Brown (seen the goal on SSN and he could've done a LOT better, missed 2 tackles leading up to it and was out of position).

*bar Clarke, but Willis was injured.

Otis

No!

Right midfield is... RM - CM - CM - LM

Barton is centre midfield...

DM

CM - CM

AM

That little diagram is all well and good of course and you have highlighted him nicely, but you did say to the right of two central midfielders. ;) Which would put in him firmly into the first diagram.

Now maybe I am thick, but if you have two central midfielders and he is to the right of them doesn't that make him a right midfielder?

ampthill_sba

People who think the diamond doesn't, that's fair enough, but Shaw and others know other systems won't suit aswell.

Also, we switched to 4-4-2 and we still did shit, so can't really moan about the formation.

I think playing 120m definately had an impact, but I ask Shaw, why did you keep the same XI*, especially Brown (seen the goal on SSN and he could've done a LOT better, missed 2 tackles leading up to it and was out of position).

*bar Clarke, but Willis was injured.

When the goal was conceded Jennings was laying on the floor injured. I suspect he may have run through to support defence had he been on his feet too...?

Tomh111

--------GK--------
LB--CB--CB--RB
---CDM--CDM---
--------CM--------
--LAM----RAM--
-------STR-------

Could play this. Normal back four. When under presure the CDM should cover the side's FBs and the CM can come back and hold the middle. This way we can be covers down the flanks and in centre park while leaving three men up for the counter attack.

GK. Murphy
LB. Hussey
CB. Edge
CB. Wood
RB. Clarke (when fit)
LDM. Kilbane
RDM. Jennings
CM. Barton
LAM. Fleck (when fit)
RAM. Baker
STR. Elliot

We could change the game around if it's not going our way by sucking Ball on playing the long ball game and if our defence is under really heavy attack we could move the AMs back to help the team were weak whether be flank or central positions.

That's what I would do if I was manager deciding my tactics. Stuff the diamond! This with a motivated manager forcing the players to chase down track back and a fitness coach or something. Dennis Wise could do the trick he'd bark the orders making the players play under fear.

But then you are playing Fleck and Baker out of position. Wasting supposedly the most gifted player in the squad and the league according to the Sky Sports Website and Baker... They sound like great tactics.

stupot07

--------GK--------
LB--CB--CB--RB
---CDM--CDM---
--------CM--------
--LAM----RAM--
-------STR-------

GK. Murphy
LB. Hussey
CB. Edge
CB. Wood
RB. Clarke (when fit)
LDM. Kilbane
RDM. Jennings
CM. Barton
LAM. Fleck (when fit)
RAM. Baker
STR. Elliot

Neither fleck or baker are quick or mobile enough to play this formation, Elliott would be completely isolated.

Dan Griffin

Ram and lam are the best positions for fleck and baker, they are both attacking mids and can both come narrow or wide for crosses and narrow for through balls etc people make out ram and lam are near enough wingers, its not

SkyBlueArmy

It was just how I play on Fifa, Baker can play there and Fleck can adjust dosent need to have pace just skill and be able to pass :pimp:

Tomh111

Because FIFA is a great basis for real life... Fleck was forced to play out wide at Rangers and shit at it and baker has been forced to play out wide but his natural position is inside, you can see it when he plays wide as he drifts into the middle looking for the ball. When given a free role like at B'ham he can be great.

Users who are viewing this thread