One positive out of this sorry mess? (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

Struck me whilst reading the match report of the Bristol game that our sorry state of affairs has led to one positive of sorts - we now have an extremely strong contingent of young, local lads in the side.

In our starting line up we had Cyrus, Jordan Clarke, Conor Thomas, Callum Wilson and Billy Daniels - correct me if im wrong but I believe they are all midlands-born lads, all products of our academy and all look to be pretty handy. How many other teams outside of non-league can boast that kind of local contingent in their starting line up? It could be seen as a bad thing I suppose if we were getting battered in the league but so far the lads look like a reasonable unit - leaky defense aside. Hopefully once Webster settles in we may start to put that right.

Then when you look at the bench you can add Burge, Phillips, Willis and Garner to that list of academy graduates.

I think if we were playing at the Ricoh under new owners but still playing these local lads id be quite happy and fair play to Elvis he said he wanted to give youth a shot and he's doing that. OK he doesnt really have much choice but at least they seem to be playing fairly well.

FPP would affect us even if we weren't homeless and didnt have such shockingly bad owners so it's got to be a positive that we are making a go of things with a young, local and above all cheap playing squad..............

covcity4life

i have never wanted to see a cov team play more, academy local lads, passing/possession football and plenty of goals

typical cov fan luck that is the season(s) we wont get to see.

ConnorDevine

Agreed, also fleck who is far from local was free, he's not as young as the players you stated but he is a fantastic player with a lot of potential

Lets just hope in 2 years when these players are championship standard and want to move on we have level headed owners who will do the right thing

Manchester_sky_blue

i have never wanted to see a cov team play more, academy local lads, passing/possession football and plenty of goals

typical cov fan luck that is the season(s) we wont get to see.

I know I feel the same but I will make some away games.

I wonder what the rules are on changing your ground in-season? If by some miracle SISU sold up and we could go back to the Ricoh would we have to wait until next season?

kirby485

Minor correction ;)

I'm sure I read recently that Daniels was born in Bristol.

Correct he was... made the 2 he bagged yesterday that little bit more satisfying!

Totally agree with this post, it is something good to come from a horrible situation, and credit to Elvis for it, although it is clear a bit more experience and know-how is needed (I refer to the 10 conceded in 3 games!)

covcity4life

I know I feel the same but I will make some away games.

I wonder what the rules are on changing your ground in-season? If by some miracle SISU sold up and we could go back to the Ricoh would we have to wait until next season?

pretty sure we would be able to move back immediately

p.s connor i love john fleck, only hoofball fans solely focus on his fitness, he will do well this season

Manchester_sky_blue

The one thing I cant fathom is why Jordan Clarke is being played out of position whilst Willis idles on the bench? Unless its a fitness issue I can't understand it. Having shipped 10 goals you'd at least think about giving one of our few recognised centre halves a game wouldn't you?

ajsccfc

Seniority I'd imagine. Clarke's played well in the middle on occasion too before this season, so he's definitely got the potential there.

Big_Ben

Correct he was... made the 2 he bagged yesterday that little bit more satisfying!

Totally agree with this post, it is something good to come from a horrible situation, and credit to Elvis for it, although it is clear a bit more experience and know-how is needed (I refer to the 10 conceded in 3 games!)
But in those games, we also scored 9 of our own, and in the league we have a zero goal difference. Bending facts to suit an argument doesn't always work.

Sky Blues

The one thing I cant fathom is why Jordan Clarke is being played out of position whilst Willis idles on the bench? Unless its a fitness issue I can't understand it. Having shipped 10 goals you'd at least think about giving one of our few recognised centre halves a game wouldn't you?

Because of experience maybe? OK, it's not his normal position but he's been around the block a couple of times now and should, in theory at least, be more up to speed with defending in this league.

I'm not saying Pressley is right or wrong, just thinking of a possible reason why he might be playing him there ahead of Willis.

Manchester_sky_blue

Because of experience maybe? OK, it's not his normal position but he's been around the block a couple of times now and should, in theory at least, be more up to speed with defending in this league.

I'm not saying Pressley is right or wrong, just thinking of a possible reason why he might be playing him there ahead of Willis.

I guess thats possible but its not as if Willis hasn't played. He's young but he's not a kid, has had a loan spell and played in the city first team. He was also quite obviously kept in the squad over the likes of Edge and Malaga. I know a lot of that has to do with cost but you'd like to think we wouldn't just keep him if he really wasn't good enough to play. Im sure a conference of league 2 team would take him on a free so if he's not good enough then he could free a space for a loan or free transfer to come in.

Users who are viewing this thread