One Minute Applauses. (1 Viewer)

pastythegreat

So, I've had a bit of a hang up about it for a while, but more and more of my group that attend matches are also starting to pass comment now too.
It seems as though more and more people are, what I feel, begging for likes on twitter/fb and starting minutes applauses for people who have died at certain minutes during matches. The football at times is becoming a side show to minutes applauses. I remeber MK away we had 3 separate 1 minute applauses where everyone stands and ignores the game and claps for 1 min and you feel compelled to join in.
Anyway, I've been thinking for a while that there has to be a better, more thoughtful way of doing something for family and friends that have died, and today, it came to me.
Almost like a day of the dead celebration, we have one single match per season where we have a list of names on the scoreboard of everyone who had passed away the previous 12 months before the match where we have ONE, SINGLE applause for them all collectively. Black armbands for the players maybe, and then a video of pictures at HT (similar to the remembrance weekend game thing).

What are other thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Yeah it’s got ridiculous now. Can’t say it at the time cos it’s insensitive but it needs to stop and only be used sparingly for notable events not every bloke from Cov who ever died.

eastwoodsdustman

So, I've had a bit of a hang up about it for a while, but more and more of my group that attend matches are also starting to pass comment now too.
It seems as though more and more people are, what I feel, begging for likes on twitter/fb and starting minutes applauses for people who have died at certain minutes during matches. The football at times is becoming a side show to minutes applauses. I remeber MK away we had 3 separate 1 minute applauses where everyone stands and ignores the game and claps for 1 min and you feel compelled to join in.
Anyway, I've been thinking for a while that there has to be a better, more thoughtful way of doing something for family and friends that have died, and today, it came to me.
Almost like a day of the dead celebration, we have one single match per season where we have a list of names on the scoreboard of everyone who had passed away the previous 12 months before the match where we have ONE, SINGLE applause for them all collectively. Black armbands for the players maybe, and then a video of pictures at HT (similar to the remembrance weekend game thing).

What are other thoughts?

A couple of years ago one of the teams we played away at did this.Possibly Scunthorpe from my poor memory

pastythegreat

Yeah it’s got ridiculous now. Can’t say it at the time cos it’s insensitive but it needs to stop and only be used sparingly for notable events not every bloke from Cov who ever died.
Question is, how do we (as a fan base) go about changing it. It's the popular thing to do. Do we leave it and hope it filters off? Or do we call it out??

How would you even approach the club with the idea of the change? And how would the club even start to implement something like that?

Terry Gibson's perm

I agree this happens far too often now. For people who have done something for the club it should happen but only people like Snoz and Curtis not Jim the gateman.

shmmeee

Question is, how do we (as a fan base) go about changing it. It's the popular thing to do. Do we leave it and hope it filters off? Or do we call it out??

How would you even approach the club with the idea of the change? And how would the club even start to implement something like that?

It’d have to come from the club. And it’d have to be a policy made off season or something so it’s the same for everyone. But whoever raises it would seem a right dick and the club would undoubtedly take some flak.

clint van damme

What are other thoughts?

What are other thoughts?

Wasn't there something similar to what you're suggesting, (which I agree with),done at the Ricoh at the start of last season?
They read out the names of those that had passed close season and I think showed photos on the scoreboard.
It was not long after Jim Twyneham had passed away and they played an audio of Jim.
Perhaps have a tribute similar at the start of each season to remember those who dies close season, one at Christmas to remember those who passed away in the fist 4 months of the season and last game could be used to remember those who were lost between January yo May

clint van damme

quick update to my above post, apparently Burnley do something similar but do it annually and today was the day at their game against the knickerstitchers.

Greggs

What are other thoughts?

That's your problem right there. Grow some balls and make your own decisions in life.

Greggs

[QUOTE="pastythegreat, post: 1904856, member: 5671"]Question is, how do we (as a fan base) go about changing it. It's the popular thing to do. Do we leave it and hope it filters off? Or do we call it out??

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Don't clap

pastythegreat

[QUOTE="pastythegreat, post: 1904856, member: 5671"]Question is, how do we (as a fan base) go about changing it. It's the popular thing to do. Do we leave it and hope it filters off? Or do we call it out??

Don't clap[/QUOTE]As a rule, I dont. Although I remeber one game at StAndrews, I ended up with 30 of some guy who died family sat on the 2 rows behind me. How do I stand with my arms crossed or my hands in my pocket then?
I also remeber another time this season, we had 2 applauses in one game, during the 2nd, we conceded

pastythegreat

.....says the c**t who claps because the person stood next to him is. Weak minded fool
I dont, but it annoys the fuck out of me when I'm trying to watch the game and everyone fucking stands up and disturbs me/gets in the way!

Travs

I don’t like minute applauses full stop, even the organised ones before games. Should be a minutes silence of respect and I stand silently during any applause. Sod anyone who doesn’t like it...

rob9872

I think they have a place but not for everyone. Tragic events, former important players or managers (we did for JH & it woukd be right for JS when it happens) but they are too often now which if anything diminishes the value of the times we should.

rob9872

I also prefer silence to clapping too as respect, but always some c**t to ruin it so has to be applause at football I think.

wingy

I think they have a place but not for everyone. Tragic events, former important players or managers (we did for JH & it woukd be right for JS when it happens) but they are too often now which if anything diminishes the value of the times we should.
Joy Seppala? :)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They wanted to commemorate Nicholas Parson's yesterday but no-one could decide what to do. Silence was too hesitant, applause to repetitive and anything else was deemed to have deviated.

Users who are viewing this thread