NTFC Is Right (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

A local protest draws only local news attention;

The message needs to be taken elsewhere;

All fans can unite in a simple message that COVENTRY'S HOME IS COVENTRY;

The first day of the league season, many fans might have been planning to go to London anyway depending on the fixtures;

There is plenty of time later to protest locally;

We need Northampton fans onside, this is a message I'm sure they could agree with!

If 2,000 as an absolute minimum could not drag themselves to London the first day of the league season, to march on the Football League Headquarters and send out a message that Coventry belongs in Coventry, the club may as well move as clearly nobody is bothered!

On a day when the national media is focussed on football, that is a day to focus the national media's attention on what football actually is.

NTFC

Well said that man. A march on the Football league HQ would gain you fantastic positive P.R and also draw press attention to the Football league who are i.m.o not fit for purpose.

Liverpool's Spirit of Shankly "ticket price" demo did exactly the same thing i.e. Meet in Regents Park, marched 5 mins to Gloucester Place and closed down the street around the Football League (and Prem) HQ. Was all over the media and was attended by fans from all over.

In many ways yours could be better attended with the FL HQ only 5-10 mins from Euston and a direct train line to Cov. If you contacted the Spirit of Shankly, Stand Against Modern Football etc the protest would instantly be amplified to their network of fans who have solidarity for your cause. Advertise it to other FL fans lets just say Portsmouth, Plymouth etc who have also been fooked over by the FL and you will have quite a stir. Our fans would also attend showing their solidarity.

If you fail to do this it will be a massive opportunity lost to show the FL up for what they are and allow them to fall back on the all too convenient role of "honest brokers".

Last edited:

Sky Blues

August 3rd, Cov is at Crawley. A lot of our fans will already be down that way, so would a morning protest work that day?

Also in, or passing near to, London that day:
Carlisle at Leyton Orient
Port Vale at Brentford
Bournemouth at Charlton
Reading at Ipswich
Torquay at Wimbledon
It might be possible to attract a few Blue Noses too. Brum play Watford that day.

NTFC

Can someone put a map up on here with Euston Station pinned and also Gloucester Place London so you can see how easy it is to get to the FL H.Q?

Sky Blues

Alternatively, on September 14th Cov plays Gillingham.

According to the BBC website (though I suspect this is pre-TV match selection) the following teams will be in, or passing near to, London that day:
Bradford at Colchester
Tranmere at Brentford
Everton at Chelsea
Man U at Palace
Southampton at West Ham
Sunderland at Arsenal (OK, only one of those might support a Cov organised protest)
Watford at Charlton
Chesterfield at Wimbledon

NorthernWisdom

It MUST be the first day of the football league season.

Forget where we're playing, what's easier for us! This is about media attention. After the first day of the league season it switches to the Premier League, nobody cares about our level again for another year.

Sky Blues

It MUST be the first day of the football league season.

Forget where we're playing, what's easier for us! This is about media attention. After the first day of the league season it switches to the Premier League, nobody cares about our level again for another year.

That's August 3rd! (well technically there is one game in our division on August 2nd). We're playing near London - see my earlier post.

NTFC

The Spirit of Shankly grouped next to the boating lake on the far East side of Regent's Park and then marched from there. They had blanket press coverage and closed Gloucester Place down with only about 400-500 people. Anything over 1000 would be some event because it is a posh London street.

You guys could even meet at the pub at Euston or the Globe at Baker Street. (right next to Regent's Park).

NorthernWisdom

That's August 3rd! (well technically there is one game in our division on August 2nd). We're playing near London - see my earlier post.

I know.

But forget about us playing Gillingham, other teams close on other weekends.

Media messages need the maximum media attention, and that time is the first day of the football league season. They have the decency to kick off before the Premiership, the focus is entirely on the football league for one weekend only. (week after, the Charity Shield takes it all!)

Sky Blues

I know.

But forget about us playing Gillingham, other teams close on other weekends.

Media messages need the maximum media attention, and that time is the first day of the football league season. They have the decency to kick off before the Premiership, the focus is entirely on the football league for one weekend only. (week after, the Charity Shield takes it all!)

I think we are agreeing, but Cov being at Crawly means there will be 1,000s of our fans in or near London anyway on August 3rd - a good start to any protest if they head down early to make a statement to the Football League.

saltaire bantam

I don't want to po-poo the good ideas but it's a big ask for other clubs fans. Although there seems to be universal sympathy and concern for Coventry City it's not really going to be well supported by other clubs with the logistic problems coaches/train times etc. It's alright saying Bradford are at Colchester but do you know how long it takes us to get to Colchester?

I think a better idea and easier would be to ask for other clubs support to show solidarity in the grounds. Turning backs on the footie for a minute is easily achievable and it happening at every game would draw massive publicity. All you'd have to do, is ask.

Sky Blues

I don't want to po-poo the good ideas but it's a big ask for other clubs fans. Although there seems to be universal sympathy and concern for Coventry City it's not really going to be well supported by other clubs with the logistic problems coaches/train times etc. It's alright saying Bradford are at Colchester but do you know how long it takes us to get to Colchester?

I think a better idea and easier would be to ask for other clubs support to show solidarity in the grounds. Turning backs on the footie for a minute is easily achievable and it happening at every game would draw massive publicity. All you'd have to do, is ask.

I understand what you're saying, but there's no harm extending the invitation is there? :)

Brighton Sky Blue

It still isn't too late for the League to refuse Otium even at this stage-they can still redeem themselves. They pulled out all the stops to help a club south of London, they should do so for one north of it.

NorthernWisdom

It still isn't too late for the League to refuse Otium even at this stage-they can still redeem themselves.

Not even about that. The simplist and best way to keep fans united in one voice and one protest is that Coventry City Belong In Coventry.

That should be the sole message.

What follows from that can follow. But we, (like Hoffman ;) ) need to put aside the past even temporarily and focus on what is important.

And what is important is asserting that our home is our city.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not even about that. The simplist and best way to keep fans united in one voice and one protest is that Coventry City Belong In Coventry.

That should be the sole message.

What follows from that can follow. But we, (like Hoffman ;) ) need to put aside the past even temporarily and focus on what is important.

And what is important is asserting that our home is our city.

Well yes but by shouting that at the top of your lungs at FL headquarters the desired results is for the League to change its stance and force a compromise to be reached. If I could spare the cash for a day out in London I'd join you! ;)

NTFC

There is never a good time to do it. Ask the Spirit of Shankly lot theirs was on a Weds. You'll find that the more militant fans will come along anyway cos they are disillusioned with football anyways. Not even sure if its worth worrying about attending your game that day. A protest will eb more beneficial than watching a SISU Fc

chiefdave

The trust need to get a grip and put out a clear plan otherwise potential protesters are going to be split amoung all the things that are planned. I would be up for a demo in London, pretty easy for a lot of people to get to.

pusbccfc

The trust should put 2/3 coaches on for Crawley.
Take a detour into London for the protest.

It doesn't add much onto the journey time.

The Penguin

So many good ideas in this thread.

Surely there's someone in the Trust, or otherwise, with the skills to pull this all together?

Users who are viewing this thread