No news on Pennington (1 Viewer)

Otis

Is that 'no news is good news?'

Usually a player gets a scan after the game and we all get to hear word of the scan by Monday as to how bad the damage is. Nowt from the club yet. Would say our chances are greatly improved with him in the back four.

Aaron Martin scares me at times and if Willis and Pennington are out that will also mean Andy Webster will be back in the frame too. :(

Hobo

Too big a game to give anything away. They will give him maximum recovery time.

Otis

Too big a game to give anything away. They will give him maximum recovery time.

Well yep, a bit of kidology and playing cards close to our chests can only be a good thing. Hope that is the case.

If I were TM I would be doing something a little unexpected on Sunday and change the side around with something Crawley aren't expecting. TM has been known to play 4 up front during matches, so it wouldn't surprised me if he does pull out a little rabbit out the hat somewhere.

Hobo

Well yep, a bit of kidology and playing cards close to our chests can only be a good thing. Hope that is the case.

If I were TM I would be doing something a little unexpected on Sunday and change the side around with something Crawley aren't expecting. TM has been known to play 4 up front during matches, so it wouldn't surprised me if he does pull out a little rabbit out the hat somewhere.

I don't think he will change too much. We have had a settled side of late and our away form has been good. I think Willis will come back in for Phillips if fit. We will have to wait on Pennington. Barton will be dropped. I can see Tudgay playing just behind our new found German goal scorer. Maddison will be on the bench. Think it is too big a game for him at moment and think Crawley would just bully him to be honest.

phildownunder

Yes I`ve been wondering about this too. You would usually expect some sort of announcement by now.

If he doesn`t play even my sunny outlook for the match will cloud over a bit :mad:

Otis

I don't think he will change too much. We have had a settled side of late and our away form has been good. I think Willis will come back in for Phillips if fit. We will have to wait on Pennington. Barton will be dropped. I can see Tudgay playing just behind our new found German goal scorer. Maddison will be on the bench. Think it is too big a game for him at moment and think Crawley would just bully him to be honest.

We can't change too much, but Barton and Nouble must be dropped. Odelusi or Maddison in for Barton and Tudgay for Nouble.

Astute

The 11 players I want to play the most are the 11 that give a shit.

Otis

The 11 players I want to play the most are the 11 that give a shit.

Well yep, me too. Thing is though, that could mean a lot of changes to the side and that could be disruptive.

The one for me who is most key for us is Grant Ward. He was dreadful against Crewe, but before that had been consistently good, so we need another top drawer performance from him on Sunday. I notice when Ward plays well, Fleck has more of an impact too.

The key players for me therefore on Sunday are Reda, Ward and JOB. We need great games from all those 3 and for them to be leaders on the pitch.

Astute

Well yep, me too. Thing is though, that could mean a lot of changes to the side and that could be disruptive.

The one for me who is most key for us is Grant Ward. He was dreadful against Crewe, but before that had been consistently good, so we need another top drawer performance from him on Sunday. I notice when Ward plays well, Fleck has more of an impact too.

The key players for me therefore on Sunday are Reda, Ward and JOB. We need great games from all those 3 and for them to be leaders on the pitch.

Three players that seem to give a shit.......that is when Reda does play though :whistle:

Otis

Three players that seem to give a shit.......that is when Reda does play though :whistle:

Well yes, would say those 3 do give a shit. I think Maddison does too and Philips and Willis and Conor Thomas would as well.

LJC_CCFC

This for Sunday please:

Burge

Willis (Phillips if he isn't fit)
Pennington
Johnson
Stokes

Ward
Fleck

Odelusi
Maddison
Jim

The German

Skybluepiglet

JOB stated league 2 is "Not An Option" about 7 or 8 weeks ago.

Let's hope he can be true to his word.....if everyone cares as much as JOB on Sunday we will be just fine...but with all the loanees I Fear that ain't gonna be the case.

PVA

Martin is awful and I think I am one of very few who thinks Webster is better.

However neither are a patch on Pennington so I hope to god he is fit.

LJC_CCFC

I like the look of that team. Has a bit of pace about it up front too.

Would bring Willis in as the reality is we don't have to be too gung-ho. Despite most on here (including myself) calling for Phillips to start in recent weeks, he didn't cover himself in glory.

One of the big problems on Saturday was (as you referred to Otis) a lack of pace. Odelusi in for Barton would obviously fix this. Assuming we set up to play on the counter both Odelusi and Maddison will be key.

The exclusion of Nouble is for obvious reasons.

Hobo

This for Sunday please:

Burge

Willis (Phillips if he isn't fit)
Pennington
Johnson
Stokes

Ward
Fleck

Odelusi
Maddison
Jim

The German

I would agree with that, although I would probably start with Tudgay instead of Maddison. Let Tudgay run himself into the ground for 60 minutes then put Maddison on to change it slightly.

olderskyblue

What was the team that played so well at Bristol ?

LJC_CCFC

"And the City boss is hoping his replacement, Martin, will put in the sort of “man mountain” display he raved about at Peterborough and grab his opportunity back in the team after making way for Reda Johnson four games ago."

Will almost certainly score an own goal which sends us down.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Coventry City’s preparations for Sunday’s crucial last day relegation battle have suffered a blow with the news that Matty Pennington has been ruled out with a serious ankle injury.

The impressive Everton defender has been forced to return to Goodison Park for treatment, opening the door for Aaron Martin to return to the starting line-up against a desperate Crawley Town who have to win to stay up, while City require a point to guarantee their place in League One.

“I have spoken to Matty, and Joe Royle at Everton, and he’s got quite bad ankle ligament damage,” said manager Tony Mowbray, who has challenged Martin to step up to the plate for the final match of the season.

“He had a scan at Everton on Monday which showed the damage and he’s stayed up there, although he’s going to try to come to the game on Sunday.

“It’s a blow for him and us. It would normally keep him out for several weeks but he’s fortunate that the summer is here for him and hopefully he’ll be ready for pre-season.”

Mowbray said the 20-year-old twisted his standing left ankle after receiving a short pass back, forcing him into a block tackle and resulting in him unable to put his foot down.

And the City boss is hoping his replacement, Martin, will put in the sort of “man mountain” display he raved about at Peterborough and grab his opportunity back in the team after making way for Reda Johnson four games ago.

Matthew Pennington with Coventry

Appearances
Clean sheets
“Aaron has played in games where we’ve not lost away from home; in fact just about all of them apart from the last one at Bristol so he knows the expectation and what’s required,” said the manager.

“He understands he has to step up and do a job and I have every faith in him that he will, and the positive thing for him is he’s coming in on the right-hand side which is his more natural side.

“It’s about getting the basics right and then your game falls into place. Aaron has to become more dominant aerially. I built a career for 20-odd years on winning headers and being dominant. I used to head everything back and then the perception is you are pretty good at what you do.

“The rest becomes easy. If someone moves the ball back you pass it to your full-back or play it into the striker. No-one expects more of you as a centre-half – win your headers, be dominant, physical and powerful.

“They have to do their job, keep the ball out of the net. Pass it as simple as you can, pass it to your midfield player or full-back. Go back to your goalie if you have to but it’s not a difficult job.

“Just be a man and Aaron has to step up and do it and he’s got the message loud and clear.

“He found himself out of the team because Reda can do those basics and Pennington had shown a real level of consistency so Aaron was the one who came out. Now he’s got another opportunity. He’ll be a little bit disappointed at being left out but he has to come back and show us how much it means to him.

Astute

So he wants to watch the game? More interested in our club than some of our own players. I hope we get him back next season.

chiefdave

Fair play to him if he comes to the game. From what I've seen on social media our own players can't be bothered to turn up at the Ricoh if they're not playing.

Otis

Thought he'd be out. When Mowbray said he'd done his ankle, I didn't think he'd recover in time.

Ohh bugger. :(

Users who are viewing this thread