Nigel Benn to return to boxing aged 55 (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I loved watching the division in that era and this has been talked about for a long time now, but I really hope he reconsiders. Could have terrible consequences and he has nothing to prove.

Also of all people, having been so close to Michael Watson, I assumed it was all hype and craving media attention, but I assume the 'warrior' in him is too strong too ignore. Shame, hopefully doesnt set the precedent for Eubank and Collins to comeback as that's also been mentioned.

duffer

It's a terrible idea, if for no other reason that concussion risks for over-40s are considerably increased.

It's one of the things that put me off 'white collar' boxing; well that and the thought of being punched by someone younger, stronger, faster and fitter than me, which would be just about everyone. :)

bringbackrattles

It's a terrible idea, if for no other reason that concussion risks for over-40s are considerably increased.

It's one of the things that put me off 'white collar' boxing; well that and the thought of being punched by someone younger, stronger, faster and fitter than me, which would be just about everyone. :)
My son has had 2 white collar fights and is training for another in December. He has to wear headgear and safety is well monitored etc. Yet I went to one at Willenhall Club 2 weeks ago and was surprised to see none of the boxers wearing headgear. They just slugged the 3 rounds out toe to toe. Benn got turned down by the governing body, but he got accepted by another one. It is a bit confusing at times is boxing.

KeresleyArmpit

My son has had 2 white collar fights and is training for another in December. He has to wear headgear and safety is well monitored etc. Yet I went to one at Willenhall Club 2 weeks ago and was surprised to see none of the boxers wearing headgear. They just slugged the 3 rounds out toe to toe. Benn got turned down by the governing body, but he got accepted by another one. It is a bit confusing at times is boxing.
The reason for the removal of headgear in men’s amateur boxing a few years ago was due to AIBA ruling that it caused more harm than good.

Making Olympic Boxing Safer by Eliminating Head Guards

Sick Boy

If that is the case then whoever is in charge of it is a disgrace. In none of the boxing gyms i'ved boxed in would anything like that be allowed to happen.

CJ_covblaze

23rd November at Birmingham Arena. Sounds like he’s fighting Bika but wanted to fight Collins or Eubank.

bringbackrattles

It was a charity night event. My mate Gil Lewis was fighting Neil Simpson as the main event, 2 ex professional boxers. He's just lost his wife and it was in aid of the charity that supports the illness she had.
The rest of the boxers were mainly amateurs, and wore no headgear. Why this was I don't know. But the ones my lad boxes in do wear protection. I'll try and find out why some do and others don't ?

Sick Boy

It was a charity night event. My mate Gil Lewis was fighting Neil Simpson as the main event, 2 ex professional boxers. He's just lost his wife and it was in aid of the charity that supports the illness she had.
The rest of the boxers were mainly amateurs, and wore no headgear. Why this was I don't know. But the ones my lad boxes in do wear protection. I'll try and find out why some do and others don't ?
Any kind of white collar fight should involve the use of headgear. There has been talk of moving away from it on an Olympic level but it is pretty shocking that for WC they were allowed to box without it. I used to box at Brighton & Hove ABC and 'sparred' against Eubank Jnr and that they used to organise EC events and something like that would never have been allowed to happen.

CJ_covblaze

It’s been sanctioned by BIBA.

bringbackrattles

The fight is off. Benn injured a shoulder in training, and has cancelled it. Says he's heartbroken and gutted. Probably a blessing in disguise.

Users who are viewing this thread