New Stadium (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

If Sisu announced next week with plans and permission for a new 24000 seater stadium on the old courtaulds site on the Foleshill Rd near Lockhurst lane junction 1 mile from city centre and would be based on a similar model to Highfield Rd what would the reaction be.

tuousis

If Sisu announced next week with plans and permission for a new 24000 seater stadium on the old courtaulds site on the Foleshill Rd near Lockhurst lane junction 1 mile from city centre and would be based on a similar model to Highfield Rd what would the reaction be.
I would turn over and go back to sleep.

quinn1971

Think the council might have something to say about it.At least being back in coventry would be a start.

Greggs

I would jump on my pet unicorn, fly to utopia and eat a golden apple

Noggin

The same as now, not believe they are going to build it, not belive the club will be in a fit state by the time it was built (if they were building it) for us to need a 24k seater stadium we'll be in the conference. For me the problem has never been having a new stadium it's the 5 years of irreparable damage they would do to the club in the meantime. We'd be getting a few hundred coventry fans in the conference by the time we came back with a whole generation of new fans lost to the club.

James Smith

I'd think nothing of it.

They may have shown us plans* by then, bought the land, sorted out planning permission etc. But until contractors are building it I won't actually believe the White Elephant will actually get built.

*which were promised months ago and we still haven't seen yet.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

I would think, great another 30 million of debt and be doubtful that I would ever see us pushing for the top flight in my lifetime

bringbackrattles

Talking about a Stadium being built we already have one just round the corner from the old Courtaulds site it's called the Ricoh Arena,and we should be there today watching our team in Sky Blue.instead we have to go to Northampton to see our club play,either by standing on a Hill or going inside,and both of those don't interest me at all.
I can't even get a ticket for the Shrewsbury game as they haven't got any at the Tesco stall,and no answer to the phone number I was given,and they wonder why we get pissed off !

Johnnythespider

I take your IF question and i raise you another. If over the course of the next 5 years, sisu cannot get permission to build a stadium in coventry or the surrounding area, do you think the FL might sanction a permanent groundshare at a re-developed sixfieds, a la the san siro in milan, obviously on a smaller scale. I think they would in the interests of their competition and seeing the fixtures being completed. This is my real concern as i think it is a more viable option for them than forking out 30 mill on a new ground.

Houdi

Probably the only thing that SISU and the Council agree on, is that no new stadium will be built in the City of Coventry. Most fans don't believe a new stadium will be built anywhere.However the chances of a new stadium being granted planning permission in Coventry are about as great as Sepalla volunteering to be the next Lady Godiva.:eek:

sky blue john

Probably the only thing that SISU and the Council agree on, is that no new stadium will
be built in the City of Coventry. Most fans don't believe a new stadium will be built anywhere.However the chances of a new stadium being granted planning permission in Coventry are about as great as Sepalla volunteering to be the next Lady Godiva.:eek:

Could Sisu not sue the council if they can not get planning permission in Cov?

covboy1987

The same as now, not believe they are going to build it, not belive the club will be in a fit state by the time it was built (if they were building it) for us to need a 24k seater stadium we'll be in the conference. For me the problem has never been having a new stadium it's the 5 years of irreparable damage they would do to the club in the meantime. We'd be getting a few hundred coventry fans in the conference by the time we came back with a whole generation of new fans lost to the club.

great post totally agree - hit it right on the button

skybluericoh

I would then look for when we were signing Gareth Bale, check my euro millions ticket, and then rush home to see my beautiful wife who still looks the same as when I first met her 30 years ago.

skyblusam

They wont need to sue the council. If they get turned down in coventry they will just keep appealing.Then it could go to a public inquiry where a goverment planning inspector will look in to it. I may be wrong but think it goes along these lines. But these public inquirys do tend to long drawn out affairs.

Can't see it ever happening now as, if other posters elsewhere have reported and researched, SISU are haemorrhaging money and seem to be going broke - hope that's true as this move to Northampton just could do to SISU what they were hoping to do ACL, that is distress them into a fire sale. Hope this happens sooner rather than later, but the nightmare will, in my view, be prolonged by others attending matches in Northampton rather than staying away and only going to away matches and remember, only purchasing your tickets from the away club.

That's my view anyway, for what it's worth.

covhead1

IF IF IF IF IF IF and fuckin IF, IF sisu did this IF sisu did that, when all the time they aint gonna do jack shit and there ain't no IFs about that!!!!

torchomatic

I'd want to see what ACL did next. Something maybe.

chiefdave

They wont need to sue the council. If they get turned down in coventry they will just keep appealing.Then it could go to a public inquiry where a goverment planning inspector will look in to it. I may be wrong but think it goes along these lines. But these public inquirys do tend to long drawn out affairs.

the whole 'it's can't be in Coventry because the council won't let it happen' argument has never stacked up for me. can't remember off the top of my head but I did look it up and it can be fairly easily taken over the level of the council and there's also rules councils have to follow when making judgements, they can't just go no because we don't like SISU or want them to use the Ricoh.

Gynnsthetonic

Rotherham moved to within a mile of there town centre with their new stadium and Millmoor is still in use.
Most Cov fans i speak to don`t like the Ricoh because of

To far away from town centre
Boring old bowl design

quinn1971

the whole 'it's can't be in Coventry because the council won't let it happen' argument has never stacked up for me. can't remember off the top of my head but I did look it up and it can be fairly easily taken over the level of the council and there's also rules councils have to follow when making judgements, they can't just go no because we don't like SISU or want them to use the Ricoh.

They're not going to let them build another ground in coventry when we already have one. It's not just the local council who have to give them planning permission it goes as high as government to pass sisu's plan . It's also more than just a new ground sisu would have to pay for, they would have to put money into the local area and redevelopment scheme's. Tottenham had their application for a new ground turned down as it wouldn't benefit the local area....can't see sisu coming up with a viable plan for a new ground...it won't happen. ...

quinn1971

Have SISU bought the land, no! Oh what a surprise.
No doubt they'll buy some land to show the FL they are serious but they'll have no intention of building a new ground on it.They can sell it for a small profit when they want.This is where the people who think the NOPM campaign is pointless are wrong. If we do have a good season, maybe sneak a play off spot and they are only getting crowds of 2 or 3000 it would give sisu serious concers about ploughing millions into a new ground ( which will not be in coventry) which will only be getting the 2-3000 die hard fans....NOPM will work, can't believe fans a questioning it after one game.

quinn1971

Rotherham moved to within a mile of there town centre with their new stadium and Millmoor is still in use.
Most Cov fans i speak to don`t like the Ricoh because of

To far away from town centre
Boring old bowl design

The stadiums only as good as the people who use it.If fans aren't happy with it it's down to them.

chiefdave

They're not going to let them build another ground in coventry when we already have one. It's not just the local council who have to give them planning permission it goes as high as government to pass sisu's plan . It's also more than just a new ground sisu would have to pay for, they would have to put money into the local area and redevelopment scheme's. Tottenham had their application for a new ground turned down as it wouldn't benefit the local area....can't see sisu coming up with a viable plan for a new ground...it won't happen. ...

you can't refuse planning permission on the basis that there's an empty stadium. as for the other things they will apply in any location outside of Coventry.

they won't try and put in an application in Coventry and I don't believe for a minute they intend to build a stadium at all but for SISU to basically be saying it can't be in Coventry becuase they council won't let them is misleading.

chiefdave

Have SISU bought the land, no! Oh what a surprise.

I can see them buying some land, they can buy it, hold onto it and sell it later with little money (in the grand scheme of things) lost. They may even come up with some plans and put an application in, you can probably get plans 'off the shelf' on the cheap if you don't care too much what you're getting a use the same company as another club. Doing those things is a million miles away from actually building a stadium and the required infrastructure.

It was supposed to be 3 seasons at NTFC, we're now into the first season and a grand total of nothing has happened. How quickly could they realistically get one built? Near me they are adding infrastructure for some additional housing (sewers, gas etc), it's under half a mile and from the day they started work until the day they end is around a year, that's before you even think about the time the planning took or building the actual housing afterwards. I feel we'd need to be much further along than we seem to be if even 5 years is going to be achievable.

Users who are viewing this thread