New stadium meeting with RBC (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

CT has details of a recent meeting between the club and RBC

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-fc-stadium-plans-9186189

Besides the fact that it confirms there has been meeting(s) with RBC the most interesting parts are that RBC are prepared to put the new stadium in their city plan if SISU can provide full details by September, this would make it a lot easier to get planning permission, and that SISU have identified specific sites. Of course we don't know how much progress, if any, they have made towards securing any of those sites.

Suspect the reality is that nothing was being pursued until CCC sold the Ricoh to Wasps. SISU have been backed in to a corner and the only way stadium ownership is going to happen is if they build a new one.

Astute

Don't they mean RFC? He has continually told us something is happening.

Noggin

doesn't sound promising for a new stadium at all from reading the minutes, not to mention it being another year and a half untill a decision is made if they stick to their timetable which they probably won't.

Otis

Where in Rugby is land available?

If any new stadium was to be just outside the city boundaries I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was in Rugby itself I would have a massive problem with it.

Not for a single second do I believe it will ever happen, mind.

Noggin

They want 60 acres of land that others want and have a better case for, how much will this cost? at 200k an acre it's £12mill, 300k £18mill, 400k £24mill.

Astute

They want 60 acres of land that others want and have a better case for, how much will this cost? at 200k an acre it's £12mill, 300k £18mill, 400k £24mill.

Who the fook wants land in Rugby? That is why SISU know they will get it cheap. Just like who the fook would want the Ricoh as............er.......

Grendel

Who the fook wants land in Rugby? That is why SISU know they will get it cheap. Just like who the fook would want the Ricoh as............er.......

.....it's the cheapest purchase for a stadium in the UK isn't it?

Senior Vick from Alicante

Theirs nothing stopping them getting a long term deal at the Ricoh. How many teams have access to 24/7 income streams, I would love to know how many premier league teams need the profit from an exhibition company. But that's the crux of it, the football is the side show to them expanding and diversifying their business portfolio. They've lost and don't know what to do, TM has publicly stated that their is no infrastructure on the footballing side. It all points to another summer of unsettling rounds of court appearances no investment and having smoke blown up our arse by owners that can't even supply replica shirts. Fans have to stick together now and boycott season tickets until the owners can show they want to take the club forward, this slow death is just driving us all into the ground.

Astute

.....it's the cheapest purchase for a stadium in the UK isn't it?

So instead of buying the cheapest stadium we will build in another district. It all makes sense now.

bigfatronssba

Up to 5 miles from the City boundary then? That won't do I'm afraid.

Nothing to worry about anyway. A stadium will never get built on greenbelt land.

hill83

All the "I don't believe it will happen" aside.

If they build the Dickhead Arena in Rugby they can fuck right off.

Otis

So instead of buying the cheapest stadium we will build in another district. It all makes sense now.

It will be the cheapest stadium on the cheapest land.

Think Poundland, then think of something half as posh as that and then half it.

Leamington Pete

It's just struck me that if by some miracle Tony Mobray could get things right on the pitch we could someday be the club who celebrates promotion to the Premier League by moving to a smaller stadium.

Otis

Up to 5 miles from the City boundary then? That won't do I'm afraid.

Nothing to worry about anyway. A stadium will never get built on greenbelt land.

'It also emerged during the meeting that the Football League has told the club it should pursue sites within eight miles of Earl Street.'

'Should!'

When my daughter is given homework by her teacher, the teacher says 'You must do your homework!' Not 'You should do your homework.'

If the official word is 'should' then that is rather wishy washy and doesn't at all sound definitive.

skybluetony176

Coventry gateway = Not happening
Peugeot Ryton = Ruled out
Brandon = Ruled out
Ansty = Ruled out

I'm really struggling to think of another site that boarders Coventry that isn't a nature reserve of some kind.

What's SISU's real angle for these meetings? Appease the FL? Leverage in a long-term rent deal at the Ricoh?

skybluetony176

'It also emerged during the meeting that the Football League has told the club it should pursue sites within eight miles of Earl Street.'

'Should!'

When my daughter is given homework by her teacher, the teacher says 'You must do your homework!' Not 'You should do your homework.'

If the official word is 'should' then that is rather wishy washy and doesn't at all sound definitive.

Hasn't TF already spoke of ten to twelve miles but if the ideal site is a couple of more miles it wouldn't be ruled out? So already we're up to fourteen miles.

hill83

'Should!'

You can ignore 'should' it looks like the telegraph has tagged that word on themselves. It's much worse:

" They would ideally like the Stadium no more than 8 miles from this point. However, if the proposal is further afield then need to present a scheme which includes transportation for supporters, then they may be favourable, although they have some constraints to keep this close to Coventry."

Followed by:

"If the location is flexible, then the justification for a green belt site is more difficult."

Last edited:

Astute

Hasn't TF already spoke of ten to twelve miles but if the ideal site is a couple of more miles it wouldn't be ruled out? So already we're up to fourteen miles.

Even worse if it is as the crow flies. Blackpool is about 6 miles from where I live as the crow flies. But it is about 90 minutes away. And I can see Blackpool most days.

skybluetony176

What about the hawksbury site ?? The old golf course ..

I think the site in it's entirety has already been ruled out as a large housing complex due to access issues although a much smaller housing development on part of the site has got the go-ahead I believe.

Terry Gibson's perm

You can ignore 'should' it looks like the telegraph has tagged that word on themselves. It's much worse:

" They would ideally like the Stadium no more than 8 miles from this point. However, if the proposal is further afield then need to present a scheme which includes transportation for supporters, then they may be favourable, although they have some constraints to keep this close to Coventry."

Followed by:

"If the location is flexible, then the justification for a green belt site is more difficult."

Why are they always so bothered about transportation for the fans hardly anybody is ever going to use that what they should insist on is free parking at the ground as most people who go would be driving there.

NorthernWisdom

12 miles as the crow flies covers how much of Brum?

Not much if they're talking to RBC.

Anyway this is good news, surely? Come September 2015, then we'll start to get some slightly more concrete answers, which then at least allow avenues to be closed off, and decisions to be dealt with - limbo is not a good thing.

Although I suspect any first applications would be training facilities only...

GaryPendrysEyes

'An extract from the minutes confirms that the club is yet to draw up any formal plans for a stadium'

How surprising, has anyone told Garlick..

Nick

Administrator
Can the minutes of other council private meetings not be accessed to?
Does rugby cover ansty?

Moff

It isnt going to happen, why worry.

There is nowhere in Rugby, and if they were serious it would be Binley Woods area, Ansty site or Ryton, right on the edge of the City Boundary, but with Fisher at the helm, and lots of hurdles to jump re planning issues, I have no doubt it isnt going to happen.

Moff

Can the minutes of other council private meetings not be accessed to?
Does rugby cover ansty?

Yes Ansty is on Rugby patch. It seems the most likely choice for the not going to happen stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread