New stadium in 2026? (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Seems Birmingham are planning to bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games. This will almost certainly involve the building of a new stadium and one of the sites being suggested, obviously at a very early stage, is the NEC.

Now the NEC is just about 9 miles from the council house, not much over the limit the FL imposed for a new stadium.

Couldn't happen could it? Stranger things have happened.

Terry Gibson's perm

We would be sharing with Birmingham City as they have their eyes on that.

duffer

In nine years' time west Coventry will have spread out to incorporate the NEC anyway, so it's a moot point CD. :)

chiefdave

We would be sharing with Birmingham City as they have their eyes on that.
Would think that would be more likely if they went for the old Wheels site. If they go for the NEC would they want to move that far out?

As duffer says there's plans to expand that side of the city so if the NEC was the chosen location for a new stadium it could become an option.

rockdude101

Can't wait! Champions League here we come!

giphy.gif

oucho

If it ends up like the Olympic Stadium - great stadium now, but not great as a football ground except for the odd showcase game - then no thanks.

If it ends up like Man City's ground, which hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games and was then converted into a football ground, then yes as it's a proper football ground- all we need to do then is get an extra 40,000 fans for every home game to fill it.........

Irrelevant anyway, Wasps will have probably sold us a big stake in the Ricoh by then, anyway, so the question doesn't arise.

Captain Dart

In nine years' time west Coventry will have spread out to incorporate the NEC anyway, so it's a moot point CD. :)
:emoji_thinking::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_angry::emoji_angry:

Terry Gibson's perm

Would think that would be more likely if they went for the old Wheels site. If they go for the NEC would they want to move that far out?

As duffer says there's plans to expand that side of the city so if the NEC was the chosen location for a new stadium it could become an option.

My father in law is a blues fan and mentioned it the other week and said he will never go again if they move to the nec

Danceswithhorses

Seems Birmingham are planning to bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games. This will almost certainly involve the building of a new stadium and one of the sites being suggested, obviously at a very early stage, is the NEC.

Now the NEC is just about 9 miles from the council house, not much over the limit the FL imposed for a new stadium.

SISU will want the unencumbered freehold, and to pay feck all for it

Calista

A proposal like this wouldn't surprise me at all. But if we were perceived to have moved to the suburbs of Birmingham, even if it is only 9 miles, it would destroy the identity of the club. Travelling distance isn’t the point – we can’t go to a different town IMO.

I guess you could argue that some parts of that area (Meriden/Balsall?) are on neutral territory between the two cities, so maybe BCFC and CCFC could just about swing a ground share proposal if the location was just right. But anywhere the wrong side of the M42 is surely a complete no-no from Coventry’s perspective.

Hopefully those who have been saying that Wasps can move 30 miles in and out of London without damaging their identity won’t be arguing in favour of that regional franchise model for CCFC. They became “portable” without a unified or fully committed fan base, and the same would happen to us. I can just hear Fisher saying it now - “Coventry City have always drawn support from the wider West Midlands area, and this move to the NEC will enable us to further that appeal by offering our valued customers an unrivalled matchday experience, whilst growing the club’s essential revenue streams”.

A mega-modern stadium has its appeal of course, and the prospect of buying into it would make the CCFC "franchise" more attractive to investors. But it would most likely be a recipe for another divisive shitfest, and I’m pretty sure fans of both clubs would prefer to stay where they belong.

skybluetony176

I doubt it Dave. We'd be renting again and every football finance expert in the world says you have to own your ground.

martcov

Many years ago...... I seem to remember a ground share with Villa being suggested. It would not surprise me as a potential way out of our predicament. Depends on the transport situation in the future. A choice of the end, or a shared stadium at the NEC with good transportation in 10 years time... NEC would be better than "the end"..

Brylowes

But HS2 is shaking things up a lot, and a road from the A46 at Stoneleigh past the Uni and out towards the A45 / A452 is on the cards.
Yeah you could well be right, where concrete and steel lead people are sure to follow.

Captain Dart

Many years ago...... I seem to remember a ground share with Villa being suggested. It would not surprise me as a potential way out of our predicament. Depends on the transport situation in the future. A choice of the end, or a shared stadium at the NEC with good transportation in 10 years time... NEC would be better than "the end"..
Would it fuck.

Captain Dart

martcov

I've fixed that for you.

I get your sentiment. Every time we think that things cannot get worse, they do. It is probable that we - CCFC, owned by whoever - will end up with a stark choice of accept the end of the club, or accept a situation that we would not have dreamt of 20 years ago. "Unconditional surrender". It could be moving to The Butts, Northampton, Hinckley, Nene Park, Memorial Park or near the NEC with Brum. Whatever happens, it is unlikely to be what the fans would wish for.

Users who are viewing this thread