New signings soon (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City have sold 1,200 season tickets with still more than a month until the early bird offer finishes.

The club have confirmed the appointment of Tony Mowbray as permanent boss caused a spike in fans committing their money to the new campaign.

Chief executive Steve Waggot has set a target of 6,000 season tickets and believes they have 'every chance' of meeting it.

He said: “We are very much looking forward and, as someone who speaks regularly to supporters, I can feel a real sense of optimism ahead of next season.

“That has been reflected in a strong start to season tcket sales but we have to continue to work as hard as we possibly can to drive further sales before that early bird deadline.

Tony Mowbray with Coventry City chief executive Steve Waggott
Tony Mowbray with Coventry City chief executive Steve Waggott
“I made a commitment to make football more affordable for our fans and the reduction in season ticket prices was a real statement from Coventry City to our supporters – and it’s clear they are buying into that, along with the arrival of Tony Mowbray.

“We have set a target of 6,000 season tickets and the early sign – just a few weeks in – suggests we have every chance of hitting that.

Waggott also revealed the club are closing in on their first summer signing which is likely to go through once Mowbray returns from his family holiday.

He added: “Revenue is everything to a club in League One and the more Season Tickets we sell, the stronger the budget we will have for Tony.

“He has been on holiday for a few days since his appointment but we have targets identified and will be ready to bring in the first new signings of the summer very soon.”

Astute

Probably Stokes signing and Tudgay/Johnson resigning

If what was said is true it would mean player/s not already at our club. Ready to bring in is different to keep players already at our club as they are still under contract.

Manchester_sky_blue

If what was said is true it would mean player/s not already at our club. Ready to bring in is different to keep players already at our club as they are still under contract.

Stokes is not our player though so would think he will be the first signing as others have said.

Astute

Why would we have to wait for TM to get back from holiday to sign a player if it is someone already at our club before he went on holiday?

LB87ccfc

Why would we have to wait for TM to get back from holiday to sign a player if it is someone already at our club before he went on holiday?

Because the press would still like an interview from TM on the signing even if it is a new deal for a previous player.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
out of interest how many season ticket holders did we have last season. Around 5000 wasn't it?

If that's the case 6000 this coming season is pretty much just standing still in terms of income given the price reduction

just to be clear that's not a dig or complaint I think the new prices are a positive thing done for the fans

the thing it seems that will make a difference is going to be the matchday walk ups and the corporate take up. That's going to depend on the team performance more than anything, which apparently depends on the tickets sold apparently. Chicken or egg situation it seems

westofrayne

Like most I'm very scepticle of these announcements, it could mean the ressigning of Reda and co, in an attempt to boost ST sales, or it could be true. I'm sitting on the fence until i see what happens. If they want to boost sales, introduce the staged payments, yes i know all the stuff about credit licences, but we were told that once first year accounts were signed off then they would apply for it. I was told a number of weeks ago that it has been applied for, so how long does it take?

I suspect the stage payments will be introduced as soon as the early bird has ended.

I want to believe but history tells me different, but this once I want to be wrong

westofrayne

Stokes is not our player though so would think he will be the first signing as others have said.

If Stokes is the first signing then I would say that's a big backwards step, he was ok as a stopgap last season, but going into a new season we could do so much better.

His a L2 player at best, if this is a sign of our intent in the transfer market then it's gonna be another Shiite season again

fernandopartridge

If Stokes is the first signing then I would say that's a big backwards step, he was ok as a stopgap last season, but going into a new season we could do so much better.

His a L2 player at best, if this is a sign of our intent in the transfer market then it's gonna be another Shiite season again

Zzzzzzz

LB87ccfc

I agree hes not a top 6 aspiring full back in league one by any stretch but he will come in and compete for a place I imagine, certainly an easy target last season by many a opposition manager but tried his best and tried to improve as much as he could.

Top 6 full back in league one though - not by any stretch of the imagination.

chiefdave

He's a decent enough squad player and you would imagine it would be a fairly quick deal to do. What does it matter who is announced first? Its not like we're going to be signing Messi, pretty much everyone who comes in will be players most people barely know.

LB87ccfc

He's a decent enough squad player and you would imagine it would be a fairly quick deal to do. What does it matter who is announced first? Its not like we're going to be signing Messi, pretty much everyone who comes in will be players most people barely know.

Now that would be a concern if we was going for non established players from lower leagues as the backbone of the squad

SkyBlue_Bear83

out of interest how many season ticket holders did we have last season. Around 5000 wasn't it?

If that's the case 6000 this coming season is pretty much just standing still in terms of income given the price reduction

just to be clear that's not a dig or complaint I think the new prices are a positive thing done for the fans

the thing it seems that will make a difference is going to be the matchday walk ups and the corporate take up. That's going to depend on the team performance more than anything, which apparently depends on the tickets sold apparently. Chicken or egg situation it seems
Maybe they've gone low as they've estimated too highly in the past. I think 11k Ricoh average was the aim mentioned last year wasn't it?

Manchester_sky_blue

Mowbray likes him so thats good enough for me to be honest, club have offered him a deal and i don't imagine he could do much better than us currently so seems pretty nailed on that he will sign.

Not the most exciting signing in the world but decent left backs are hard to come by and he has the potential to step up his game.

skyblueal

Does anyone know what the situation is with Mark Venus? Has he started or is he not starting until TM gets back from holiday?

AFCCOVENTRY

Such doom mongering just because Waggot has announced signings soon.

We have Mowbray at the helm so let's be positive for once.

hill83

Well? It's been an hour, when does his flight land. This is pathetic typical city everyone else has signed thousands of players we are always last this is ridiculous I'm in a proper mood now. Pathetic.

LB87ccfc

Well? It's been an hour, when does his flight land. This is pathetic typical city everyone else has signed thousands of players we are always last this is ridiculous I'm in a proper mood now. Pathetic.

Have a snickers you might feel better.

mark82

[/B]Now that would be a concern if we was going for non established players from lower leagues as the backbone of the squad

Not really. There are some good players in the lower leagues ready to step up. I'd rather have someone from lower leagues hungry to prove themselves than someone from above on their last legs who is going to coast by. We've had enough of those.

More than anything I hope people don't write off every signing as soon as they sign like usual.

LB87ccfc

Not really. There are some good players in the lower leagues ready to step up. I'd rather have someone from lower leagues hungry to prove themselves than someone from above on their last legs who is going to coast by. We've had enough of those.

More than anything I hope people don't write off every signing as soon as they sign like usual.

What I was saying is we need 6-7 players to come into the first team due to who we have let go to create room for new additions, I have absolutely no problem at all with some up and coming talent joining, however, if we are to have aspirations like many on here feel we should be having this season under TM, then we need 4-5 of these additions to be solid above average league one players who are capable of 50 games a season.

Astute

7 players signed on a contract and 4 loans would be a very good start. Then the younger players to make up the rest of the squad. This would leave room if any better players without a contract are willing to play for less than they hoped once the season starts.

mark82

What I was saying is we need 6-7 players to come into the first team due to who we have let go to create room for new additions, I have absolutely no problem at all with some up and coming talent joining, however, if we are to have aspirations like many on here feel we should be having this season under TM, then we need 4-5 of these additions to be solid above average league one players who are capable of 50 games a season.

I get what you're saying but it doesn't matter where they come from if they are good enough. Yes, I'd expect some to be from championship and league one but our issue over recent years is that we've not taken enough up and coming talent from lower division / smaller teams. This is what the successful teams at this level do.

J

Jack Griffin

Just out of interest what is the normal pattern of ST sales, is it steady, is there an initial surge which drops off or do a lot of people buy late?

I don't know, but I suspect a fair number of people need to save for a while before buying, so there may be a late push.

If 'early bird' prices are held later than currently advertised I would expect it be due to poorer than expected sales.

skybluegod

They don't have to come from teams in the championship or prem to do that. Lots of players in non-league and league 2 have the ability to step up. Look at ben Galdwin, Charlie Austin, Rickie lambert, Jamie vardy, etc. We need young hungry players, not players dropping down the leagues who say think they are better than they really are based on their past.

rupert_bear

Tony Mowbray has made it crystal clear he or Mark Venus will be conducting any signings, Waggott can say what likes he is out of the picture now re. signings. He should consentrate on painting the dressing rooms and filling in those pot holes at Ryton, while he has a job.

junglej13

They don't have to come from teams in the championship or prem to do that. Lots of players in non-league and league 2 have the ability to step up. Look at ben Galdwin, Charlie Austin, Rickie lambert, Jamie vardy, etc. We need young hungry players, not players dropping down the leagues who say think they are better than they really are based on their past.

Couldnt believe Pressleys approach last summer of signing only Championship players. Very naive and I think he ended up with some big egos he couldnt manage. Anyone know when Mowbray is due back in work?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just out of interest what is the normal pattern of ST sales, is it steady, is there an initial surge which drops off or do a lot of people buy late?

I don't know, but I suspect a fair number of people need to save for a while before buying, so there may be a late push.

If 'early bird' prices are held later than currently advertised I would expect it be due to poorer than expected sales.

I'm guessing that would be the norm at most clubs, I'm guessing for us it will be the opposite an the most tickets will be sold in the last week of June.

Terry Gibson's perm

That time of the year again signings on their way buy your season tickets and here is our big signing Chris Stokes:facepalm:

Having said that I have bought mine already.

rupert_bear

Transfer window doesn't open until June and most released players aren't out of contract until end of May, about now, also this is holiday time for players and managers many will be somewhere in the sunshine at the minute, so although there is some movement it won't ramp up until the next week or so. Certain TM has his wish list and also certain those on it will know, will there be known "names" maybe. Sisu know they need to boost season ticket sales and that will only happen with new players coming in. I know a lot of current ST holders and potential new ones keeping their powder dry for now. I read somewhere we have sold 1500 STs at the moment which i would say is poor, i am afraid too many of us have been bitten before and wiser now.

Users who are viewing this thread