new offside rules (1 Viewer)

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

the player was right infront of burge but having watched the extended highlights i dont think we deserved much

yeah the way it played out we didn't but if they don't get the 2nd and we equalize who knows how the game would have played out we could have had a confidence boost and won 3-1 you just never know bottom line is it was offside and the linesman should have spotted it, you can be sure first one we score like that this season the flag will go up

Tommystours

Already happened at Rochdale in the cup.new offside rule went against us as the officials did not understand it.the goal should have stood

Hobo

I just wish they would make it easier for the officials. If you are in the penalty area you are active (how can you not be).

stevefloyd

The new rule in simple terms ...SHITE... offside should be offside, defenders play to catch a player offside so how they cannot be interfering with play I don't know, I am not keen on referees and linesmen even less but its a difficult job for them and to make the rules even more greyer astounds me... meddling FA officials equals bunch of bored tossers who try and justify a back slapping club

Swiftlyon

Didnt deserve it but according to new laws.......offside

Not surprisingly I disagree. At the time Bradshaw plays the ball, the goalkeeper has a clear line of site of the ball as it is being played. The player in the offside position then does nothing to impede the goalkeeper by either attempting to play the ball, feigning to play the ball or obstructing the keeper in any other way. He is therefore inactive and whilst in an offside position is not in contravention of Law 11.

if you do the freeze frame bit, it is important to do it as Bradshaw plays the ball and not as it travels. At that all important moment the keeper has clear site.

Swiftlyon

The new rule in simple terms ...SHITE... offside should be offside, defenders play to catch a player offside so how they cannot be interfering with play I don't know, I am not keen on referees and linesmen even less but its a difficult job for them and to make the rules even more greyer astounds me... meddling FA officials equals bunch of bored tossers who try and justify a back slapping club

I agree with this though.

Sky Blue Pete

You have to attempt to play the ball and/or be interfering with another players line of sight and in an offside position to be offside. The change from last year is to clarify about playing the ball or being in a position to interfere and it doesn't clarify anything really

It's arse over tit really!

It's no clearer than it ever has been and if we agree with that it will be less frustrating

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not surprisingly I disagree. At the time Bradshaw plays the ball, the goalkeeper has a clear line of site of the ball as it is being played. The player in the offside position then does nothing to impede the goalkeeper by either attempting to play the ball, feigning to play the ball or obstructing the keeper in any other way. He is therefore inactive and whilst in an offside position is not in contravention of Law 11.

if you do the freeze frame bit, it is important to do it as Bradshaw plays the ball and not as it travels. At that all important moment the keeper has clear site.

Without being directly behind Burge I think its hard to judge whether or how much the player is blocking his vision or not. It doesn't look as if he is but couldn't say with 100% certainty from the angle given. Within the law as it is now, it is probably technically correct but the law is bs.

The player is about a foot away from the keeper, even if he does nothing just his presence that close to the keeper is still affecting the keepers in various way such as his thought process, decision making, sight of the ball as its traveling (not just when its kicked) as well as being another obstacle the keeper has to avoid when attempting the save when he is that close to the keeper

Also when Lalkovic take the first shot the same player is in an offside position I believe and it could also be argued that his rushing into the 6 yards box towards the keeper for the initial shot also affects the keeper with the initial save i.e keeper sees offside player in his peripheral vision charging toward him to follow the shot in (keeper obviously doesn't know he is off) keeper is conscious about not parrying the ball to that player so tries to parry to a different area where a different player who is onside scores rebound

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

there is no way he is not in burge's line of sight 11949329_10206466830122511_2326596231464751773_n.jpg

SkyBlue_Bear83

there is no way he is not in burge's line of sight View attachment 4549

He's saying he's not when the ball is struck here
13a8880d780c44db882526263cd45301.png

Difficult to say from that angle whether his vision would be blocked or not, but there is no way you can say he is not affecting the goalkeeper when in that position.

The Lurker

Who are the new hooligans you have? Particulary 1 young kid who wore a bright yellow jacket. He came round to the city fans while we were smoking at HT. He got chased off after giving it the big I am. Then 2nd half back in the ground behind the goal mouthing off again. Gobshite

lifeskyblue

I'm baffled as to why they don't make the law as simple as possible. Anyone in an offside position is offside. No then trying to work out if a player is:is not in line of sight etc. for goodness sake how can we expect linesmen and refs getting this right any/part of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I am not too sure how it isn't offside?

What is to stop people standing in front of the goalie from free kicks?

Nick

Administrator

Yep, but as the ball went to the goalie's left. At the time it is hit the player is to his left so could be in the way / obstructing a dive to save it.

D

Deleted member 4439

We actually weren't though.

serious?

But on the subject, Burge showed no sign of being unsighted, and the Walsall player made no move towards the ball.

Untitled0.jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Administrator
serious?

But on the subject, Burge showed no sign of being unsighted, and the Walsall player made no move towards the ball.

View attachment 4550
But what happens if you stand in front of the keeper with your back to the free kick? Or on the line next to him so he can't dive the way the ball is going?

D

Deleted member 4439

But what happens if you stand in front of the keeper with your back to the free kick? Or on the line next to him so he can't dive the way the ball is going?

Then interfering with play, with or without a move towards the ball; only that in this case, there is no suggestion from the video that Burge was unsighted, simply too far over to the left (not a criticism of Burge - it was reda who lost his man).

shmmeee

That should be offside. Whatever the new rules are. A player a couple of feet from the goalie is interfering with play. If Lamerais was at Rochdale, then he is.

SkyblueBazza

I can only imagine the turmoil this must be causing up & down the country in virtually every league, every level & every age.
IMO he couldn't be obstructing the keeper's view...otherwise the keeper wouldn't have been able to attempt to save it! There is a different rule that covers impeding the keeper. Whether offside or not.
As far as offside goes the "clear daylight" thing seems reasonable to me...something to make the defence less confident in deliberately playing for it every time the opposition try to entertain the fans by attacking their goal. However, we have officials that allow players to "steal" 10yds on throw-ins, if they can't see THAT how are they to judge the fine margins of offside?

...onwards & upwards PUSB

chiefdave

I'm baffled as to why they don't make the law as simple as possible. Anyone in an offside position is offside. No then trying to work out if a player is:is not in line of sight etc. for goodness sake how can we expect linesmen and refs getting this right any/part of the time.

Totally agree. This is just making the officials job impossible.

JimmyHillsbeard

He was too busy picking himself up off the ground after diving for the original shot to notice anyone in front of him.

We were second best in all areas on Saturday.

Specs WT-R75

I am not too sure how it isn't offside?

What is to stop people standing in front of the goalie from free kicks?

If a player stands backside into the goalie from a free-kick, the defenders can all move forward and the player is rightly offside, although can't be offside from a corner...

What annoys me with this new law is the line of sight bollocks. How can the lino see if line of sight is affected!? And if the ref is not in the right position he can't either.

So without TV replays there are going to be many many mistakes this year with this new rule...

Users who are viewing this thread