New number one needed (3 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When "arsing around with it" (and i consider this the entirely suitable expression) we are forever one pass that is under-hit or mis-directed from one of those close forwards snapping it up and either scoring or getting brought down because the defender believes there is no other choice. Sure, roll it (or take a short goal kick) to a fullback/wingback, but then the midfield need to be making themselves available to receive a pass and move the bloody thing forward or out to a wide channel. If the likes of Sheaf, Eccles and Torp are as good as most seem to think, this should be in their skill-set, but they are not strong enough at trapping, holding the ball and turning when they are getting hassled by opposition midfielders.
It's not about just always 'arsing about'. If you just lump it up the pitch everytime you get pressed chances are you're going to be spending a lot of time defending.

It's being absolutely wedded to the philosophy so other teams know you're going to try and play it out. if you mix it up then the opposition will have less certainty about whether to press. Of course it does also need someone up the field capable of either flicking the ball down or holding onto it. Doing it with Godden or Tavares up front on their own for example would be a waste of time.

PVA

Not the full picture. But interesting data for those asking for Wilson back.

View attachment 35361

Looking at the stats we’d get much better cross stopping for slightly worse shot stopping.

After the game the other night Collins' shot stopping stat dropped significantly after that howler, he's now on the median line for shot stopping, so Johansson better in both categories.

PVA

Also, for those saying that Wilson was only good last year because of the defence... He'd be in that top right quadrant as one of the best in the league based on last year's stats.

He has of course been shite this season, as per the graph, but just saying that he was good in his own right last year (better than Collins has been this season) and not just as a result of a good defence.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's not about just always 'arsing about'. If you just lump it up the pitch everytime you get pressed chances are you're going to be spending a lot of time defending.

It's being absolutely wedded to the philosophy so other teams know you're going to try and play it out. if you mix it up then the opposition will have less certainty about whether to press. Of course it does also need someone up the field capable of either flicking the ball down or holding onto it. Doing it with Godden or Tavares up front on their own for example would be a waste of time.
I don’t want to see endless hoofing up to a target man. I just also don’t want to see risky crosses and slow passes made across our own penalty area.

It can go in the bin along with other boring modern football trends.

SkyblueTexan

Get Nichols in from Huddersfield as new number 1.get Sorba Thomas as well.

Sick Boy

He had a decent game today. I imagine he’ll start next season as number one; probably with Wilson as number 2.

skyblue_55

I think a lot of us were surprised by the inclusion of Collins today .
I just don’t think his confidence is at a high enough level to be in goal at present & like a good few outfield players , just needs to be rested

skyblue025

Another keeping error for their winner. You get taught at school "Never get beaten at your near post.". Defence didn't help him admittedly but it's criminal to get beaten there. Didn't have a great view of the first goal but he seems to get beaten by a lot of shots close to him.
He got lucky with poor clearance straight to their bloke who hit the bar. A new No 1 is a must for me next season .

skybluecam

Another keeping error for their winner. You get taught at school "Never get beaten at your near post.". Defence didn't help him admittedly but it's criminal to get beaten there. Didn't have a great view of the first goal but he seems to get beaten by a lot of shots close to him.
He got lucky with poor clearance straight to their bloke who hit the bar. A new No 1 is a must for me next season .
The shot was 5 yards out mate, no time to react.

Collins was MOTM tonight IMO. Made at least 3 great saves.

skyblue025

And 2 horrendous mistakes. 1 cost a goal the other hit the bar. He was signed because he was good with his feet but has got steadily worse with them. His decision making is poor when it comes too playing it out of clearing his lines.
He isn't a top Championship goalkeeper which is what we should be looking at it we want to push the playoffs.

Hertsccfc

And 2 horrendous mistakes. 1 cost a goal the other hit the bar. He was signed because he was good with his feet but has got steadily worse with them. His decision making is poor when it comes too playing it out of clearing his lines.
He isn't a top Championship goalkeeper which is what we should be looking at it we want to push the playoffs.
I don’t think he looks like a Championship keeper at all, let alone a top one. A new keeper has to be our top priority.

Tea & Busquets

It is funny to read on here & many threads... get rid of a, b & c because they are not at this level and replace them with x, y & z from clubs who have been relegated to fix it!
I get what you're saying and there are truths to it, however there are really good players at shit clubs and shit players at good clubs.

JSL

Arthur Okonkwo from Arsenal is worth a look. He's 22 and been on loan at Wrexham keeping plenty of clean sheets andhelping them get promoted

Deity

I think it is clear that Robins is happy for Wilson and Moore to move on. I can’t ever recall seeing a keeper make as many errors that lead to goals as Collins over the last few weeks and retain their place.

My gut feel is that Collins will be the number 2 keeper next season and Robins sees no value in damaging his confidence by dropping him in favour of keepers that are leaving the club.

messiahrobins

Also, for those saying that Wilson was only good last year because of the defence... He'd be in that top right quadrant as one of the best in the league based on last year's stats.

He has of course been shite this season, as per the graph, but just saying that he was good in his own right last year (better than Collins has been this season) and not just as a result of a good defence.
Wilson is better than Collins, but Collins has the potential to be better in the future.

skybluecam

wrong, 6% crosses stopped puts him firmly in the middle

mmttww

Have the feeling that stats will show he's good enough for the goals DK has set (top six).

His gaffes are costing the team, though and stats might not bring that to light.

Basically feels like Moore's cliff-edge from season one to season two, but in one season!

hamertime

Stats stats stats, it’s fucking ridiculous for goalies. Everybody knows a good goalie when they see one. Thomas has been a disappointment this season. He seems to have got worse the longer it’s gone on which is worrying.

I think we will definitely try and get a top goalie into the club, they can fight it out between themselves who is number one.

Sick Boy

Stats stats stats, it’s fucking ridiculous for goalies. Everybody knows a good goalie when they see one. Thomas has been a disappointment this season. He seems to have got worse the longer it’s gone on which is worrying.

I think we will definitely try and get a top goalie into the club, they can fight it out between themselves who is number one.
It seems as though you don't!

blunted

Thought Collins was fine for most of the season then lost his concentration in the last few matches resulting in school boy errors..
Really don't think we can afford to sign a new goalkeeper as other areas of the team will be more pressing.
Collins at 27? still young for a goalie. (thought he was 24). Think we will stick for another season.

Users who are viewing this thread