New Goalkeeper? (1 Viewer)

Kingokings204

Just noticed Jamie jones on loan for us last year has signed for colchester for 3 months. I really liked him for us last year as would as vital experience at the back in goal.

This coincides with Lee Burge having a bad start to the season. I can't defend him anymore. He is an accident waiting to happen.

Thoughts? Any one else or there of quality?

Otis

Thanks for the thread.

Think it really is now time to sit down and have a chat about Lee Burge. :D

Sky Blue Pete

He's not going to be replaced unless tm is not being open with us. He will improve and be more secure as he plays games and gains experience.

He's good enough for now. He will cost us points

FRY-CCFC

PNE fans when a Colchester fan asked whether Jones was any good:

Oh good god. No, not in the slightest.

Complete shite for us, did ok for Orient at this level though, supposedly.

In terms of dealing with crosses, i've never seen anyone worse, not even Andy Lonergan.

simonregis

In all honesty I'm getting rather fed up with all the bitchiness aimed at Burge. Many on here criticise him because they want everything to be perfect when they are far from perfect themselves. this is a young man's career people are talking about and they expect players, and managers to be loyal to us as a club but show him absolutely no respect nor loyalty.
Goalkeeper is not like any other position on the field and it's no coincidence that a keeper doesn't come to the fore until they are around 30. It takes maturity to develope as a keeper and very few players are at their peak when they are in their early 20s.
The things TM will be looking at with Burge are;
1) He has the respect from his team mates. They feel they can rely on him.
2) He knows his errors himself. Self analysis is important for development.
3) He doesn't lose condifence.

From what I've seen and heard Burge has these and he is a team player.

What people fail to remember is these are his mates. He doesn't choose to drop the ball, it happens and he will learn from it and become stronger.

GOOD LUCK Burge

SkyBlue_Bear83

In all honesty I'm getting rather fed up with all the bitchiness aimed at Burge. Many on here criticise him because they want everything to be perfect when they are far from perfect themselves. this is a young man's career people are talking about and they expect players, and managers to be loyal to us as a club but show him absolutely no respect nor loyalty.
Goalkeeper is not like any other position on the field and it's no coincidence that a keeper doesn't come to the fore until they are around 30. It takes maturity to develope as a keeper and very few players are at their peak when they are in their early 20s.
The things TM will be looking at with Burge are;
1) He has the respect from his team mates. They feel they can rely on him.
2) He knows his errors himself. Self analysis is important for development.
3) He doesn't lose condifence.

From what I've seen and heard Burge has these and he is a team player.

What people fail to remember is these are his mates. He doesn't choose to drop the ball, it happens and he will learn from it and become stronger.

GOOD LUCK Burge
Not at all, I don't expect perfection. I expect our keeper to be of L1 standard and so far he hasn't. As for the other part I'm not sure what you are getting at, its not as if those criticising Burge are shouting that they could do a better job themselves.

Sick Boy

The potential development of Burge is far greater than winning promotion or the club as a whole.

#prayforburge

Sick Boy

What is wrong with wanting a keeper who is good enough for the level we are at? Burge is Conference level.

Allsop received far more criticism despite being a far superior keeper.

quinn1971

What is wrong with wanting a keeper who is good enough for the level we are at? Burge is Conference level.

Allsop received far more criticism despite being a far superior keeper.

a conference keeper who's in league one and only been on the losing side once ? Doesn't sound like a bad keeper to me.

Kingokings204

He isn't a terrible goalkeeper in my opinion. I guess I'm just getting greedy. I want a decent goalkeeper and believe we could get one and make the team better which we all want.

I'm not saying I can do a better job than burge of course not and I have been someone regularly backing him but after watching him all games this season he is really low on confidence and therefore his quality is suffering.

PVA

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just enjoy what could be a successful season, rather than finding a new scapegoat to moan about?

Seems like many on here can't wait for Burge to have a howler causing us to drop points just so they can say 'told you so'

FRY-CCFC

Burton was the first time this season I thought Burge looked consistently dodgy. Apart from that he's been solid.

quinn1971

He isn't a terrible goalkeeper in my opinion. I guess I'm just getting greedy. I want a decent goalkeeper and believe we could get one and make the team better which we all want.

I'm not saying I can do a better job than burge of course not and I have been someone regularly backing him but after watching him all games this season he is really low on confidence and therefore his quality is suffering.

good point...but I'd be more worried if he stopped coming for crosses...teams fine as it is...no need to be moaning about any player....i reckon he's saved more points than he's cost us this season ?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Exactly...and there's me thinking we were 2nd and only lost one game...get off his back.cov fans..there's just no pleasing some 

I guess Man Utd fans were saying that about Anderson as he is a 4 time premier league winner and champions league winner.

pusbccfc

Jamie Jones was average at best after his first game, no better than Burge. Same with Allsop, not better than Burge for me.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't think it would hurt for Burge to go somewhere else for a while where if he makes mistakes it will be for someone else and he can come back here stronger for the experience. As pointed out keepers don't enter their prime for a while and bringing in an experienced head while Burge gets game time elsewhere could work out well for everyone. His shot-stopping is the sign of a talented keeper but he needs to gain the confidence to control his area and assert himself. Westwood had this same weakness when he first joined us and I think with time Burge will iron this out himself.

Kingokings204

good point...but I'd be more worried if he stopped coming for crosses...teams fine as it is...no need to be moaning about any player....i reckon he's saved more points than he's cost us this season ?

Possibly yes and a good point well made and I like the guy. I want him to do well and as I say I have previously backed him and even tomorrow when I'm at scunthorpe he won't get booed by me but just feel his confidence is at a big low and I feel like I'm waiting for a mistake.

simonregis

As far as I remember he has made mistakes, yes, but they have not led to a goal. Many of the team made mistakes too but they aren't criticised

ps1948

Didn't Burge save a penalty at Millwall when it was 0 - 0?
I know he gave it away, but their player conned the ref to get it. Without that save, who knows how the game would have panned out.
He is not ideal, but I'd rather back him - at least for a few more matches....

H

Huckerby

Another burge thread great

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BackRoomRummermill

He is developing and will get better, have some patience and widen your mind a little. He is not that bad, I expect he has been training on his weak areas but is not a bad keeper at all and has made some great saves this season.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Didn't Burge save a penalty at Millwall when it was 0 - 0?
I know he gave it away, but their player conned the ref to get it. Without that save, who knows how the game would have panned out.
He is not ideal, but I'd rather back him - at least for a few more matches....
That was also because he spilled a simple shot that day as well.

Bugsy

This is a common claim. Why will he get better?

I think because he's only 23, I have faith in burge. Think he will do good this season every 1 has off days, would still like to see rcc given a chance soon coz I've heard he has earned rave reviews...PUSB

Grendel

a conference keeper who's in league one and only been on the losing side once ? Doesn't sound like a bad keeper to me.

An idiotic argument.

Astute

I think because he's only 23, I have faith in burge. Think he will do good this season every 1 has off days, would still like to see rcc given a chance soon coz I've heard he has earned rave reviews...PUSB

Only 23? He is older than a lot of our other players. 23 and still can't catch a ball.

We all want him to do well. But wanting him to do well and him doing well are two totally different things. How many below average players have we had over the years? How many have we wanted to improve and do well? How many times would we have had a top 6 finish if these players would have improved over the years?

Sick Boy

If he hadn't come through the academy there is no way he would receive the support he does. He would considered not to be good enough. Why should we settle for a player out of his depth and who will inevitably cost us points?

If we are serious about going for promotion which has to is looking like a real possibility then we need to be aiming for automatic promotion and not the lottery of the play offs.

Can anyone say that Burge has the quality to be command a place in a top 2 side? If we are so intent on developing him as a player, then surely we should be looking at him being out number 1 in the Championship next season as well.

Bugsy

Only 23? He is older than a lot of our other players. 23 and still can't catch a ball.

We all want him to do well. But wanting him to do well and him doing well are two totally different things. How many below average players have we had over the years? How many have we wanted to improve and do well? How many times would we have had a top 6 finish if these players would have improved over the years?

I understand what you are sayin in all respect but 23 is fairly young for a goalkeeper they do improve with age and the right coaching methods.
I think some people are going abit ott with this personally. He did make a couple of mistakes last game and gave me a nervous twitch lol but I still think he has something to offer, maybe it's a confidence thing I'm not sure but still think the lad deserves a chance till he fooks up considerably, I would like to see an experienced keeper in but it does depend on the dollar in the pocket, personally I think Mogga waiting for the right people at the right time.....PUSB

Astute

I understand what you are sayin in all respect but 23 is fairly young for a goalkeeper they do improve with age and the right coaching methods.
I think some people are going abit ott with this personally. He did make a couple of mistakes last game and gave me a nervous twitch lol but I still think he has something to offer, maybe it's a confidence thing I'm not sure but still think the lad deserves a chance till he fooks up considerably, I would like to see an experienced keeper in but it does depend on the dollar in the pocket, personally I think Mogga waiting for the right people at the right time.....PUSB

I don't disagree. But if he isn't good enough yet he shouldn't be playing. All he is doing is getting his confidence shot. And it isn't by people like us. If you ever played football you will have known when you had a good game or a poor one. And he hasn't had many good ones.

I hope he has a good future in football....be it with us or somewhere else. I know what it is like to have a dream. Mine was taken away from me by a bad injury. It took me a few years to get over the injury. But by then the dream was gone. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. He should be taken out of the firing line until his confidence is back up. And we need a confident GK. This could be a very good season for us. What would it do to his confidence if he was the cause of us not getting promoted? And this 'We should play him until he loses us points' rubbish is a poor effort of an argument. I hope he comes out next game and has a worldie. We all have them. He can do the saves. It is the rest he has to work on. What most of us would call the bread and butter of being a GK. He has the reflexes needed. The bit that can't be taught. But if he has us....the supporters......worried, what is he doing to our defence? They can't keep covering the attacking players and also their own keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread