New Coventry City FC stadium plan seems 'crazy', says football finance expert (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Isn't this the same article from a week or so ago?

Isn't it the same bloke that said getting relegated to league two would be a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Astute

Isn't that the bloke who stated the bloody obvious?

Godiva

It's unfair he has seen the business plans and nobody else can!

ajsccfc

The new stadium is feasible and inevitable, just ask this scientician

3oC8VXl.png

'Uhh'

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
How many stories can we get out of a sentence off a random bloke.

Depends who the bloke is and what the sentences are.

Managed to get several out of Tim Fisher, Mark Labovitch and Steve Waggott over the stadium topic during the past 18+ months.

Nick

Administrator

Managed to get several out of Tim Fisher, Mark Labovitch and Steve Waggott over the stadium topic during the past 18+ months.
Just asked the bloke at the car wash, he used to be a brick layer. He has said it would mean thousands of bricks.

Something for Monday?

lordsummerisle

Your headline could have been:

"Football expert says that CCFC not attractive to buyers unless it owns it's own ground".

Noggin

While this is all bloody obvious to us, I'm thankful that we are seeing a bit more of this from the telegraph, we all know this and I suspect many people here know more than this "expert" on the financials and viability of a new stadium for ccfc but we are a small subset of the people of Coventry and in my experience there is a huge amount of misinformed people who have gotten much of their information from reading ccfc produced spin articles in the telegraph, this sort of thing is very informative to those people.

I honestly think its a disgrace that sisu have managed to put out so much spin about the new stadium with only a tiny amount of challenge from the media, lets not criticise when they do challenge.

albatross

looking at the article it kind of suggests that the club must be playing there for nearly nothing, 100K rent offset by 50% of F&B + share of carpark.

got to be the cheapest option mid term to stabilise the club.

Nick

Administrator
While this is all bloody obvious to us, I'm thankful that we are seeing a bit more of this from the telegraph, we all know this and I suspect many people here know more than this "expert" on the financials and viability of a new stadium for ccfc but we are a small subset of the people of Coventry and in my experience there is a huge amount of misinformed people who have gotten much of their information from reading ccfc produced spin articles in the telegraph, this sort of thing is very informative to those people.

I honestly think its a disgrace that sisu have managed to put out so much spin about the new stadium with only a tiny amount of challenge from the media, lets not criticise when they do challenge.
Yes, they could have made an agreement like the council allegedly did to not print certain things.

It's all crap, then spun again up by the cet for attention.

Bennets Afro

I just find the telegraph are always finding a stick to beat the club with. Like lordsummerisle said "Football expert says that CCFC not attractive to buyers unless it owns it's own ground". it could of been portrayed completely different, but i suppose they have to keep on kicking the club while we are down

Nick

Administrator
The cet obviously knew this the other day when they first spoke to him, why wait until the day before a game to publish it?

Did they not like the fact we are on a bit of a run?

Astute

I just find the telegraph are always finding a stick to beat the club with. Like lordsummerisle said "Football expert says that CCFC not attractive to buyers unless it owns it's own ground". it could of been portrayed completely different, but i suppose they have to keep on kicking the club while we are down

Do you mean like our club is attractive to buyers unless we have our own stadium?

The truth isn't good. Most things happening to do with our club are not good. Does this mean that the CET shouldn't report anything truthful that doesn't look good?

Astute

The cet obviously knew this the other day when they first spoke to him, why wait until the day before a game to publish it?

Did they not like the fact we are on a bit of a run?

And what would you say if they reported it the day after our last game? 'The fookers couldn't wait and had to put a downer on our win'

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy

But the owners say the club is not for sale.

However, they do say they are planning to build a new stadium.

Nick

Administrator
And what would you say if they reported it the day after our last game? 'The fookers couldn't wait and had to put a downer on our win'

I'd say if that was when the news was broken and that is when the interview was done then fair enough. Rather than splitting it up into two articles and then waiting a few days.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
I'd say if that was when the news was broken and that is when the interview was done then fair enough. Rather than splitting it up into two articles and then waiting a few days.

Non time-sensitive content is regularly held by news outlets for days after interviews have taken place. It's a way of ensuring we have content everyday, especially when people are away from work - like I am today.

Weekly newspapers make a living out of holding content.

stupot07

Your headline could have been:

"Football expert says that CCFC not attractive to buyers unless it owns it's own ground".

Mr Wilson did say that owning a stadium would make the club more attractive to potential buyers - although Sisu has repeatedly insisted the club is not for sale.

He said: “The owners won’t sell for less than they consider the club to be worth.

“I wouldn’t say people are queuing up, but there are investors out there, particularly down the league pyramid for a club that owns their own ground.

“The problems with the ground don’t make CCFC attractive. Foreign owners want deals to be relatively clean.

“They want to have a deal that includes a training ground, a stadium and this many players - but Coventry is much more complicated in that regard.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

torchomatic

torchomatic

Drip...drip..drip...drip...

Non time-sensitive content is regularly held by news outlets for days after interviews have taken place. It's a way of ensuring we have content everyday, especially when people are away from work - like I am today.

Nick

Administrator

Like when councils allegedly don't want things to be printed?

Why not put out a "get behind the sky blues" type story to get a bit of hype about the club to get people down there supporting the team? Doesn't have to be "support sisu" it should be "support your football team".

torchomatic

Must just be a coincidence that there's a rare feeling of optimism and positivity around because of the last two results.

Why not put out a "get behind the sky blues" type story to get a bit of hype about the club to get people down there supporting the team?

Godiva

Yep. We're in the business of attracting readers. That means getting as many interesting stories as possible out of any given opportunity. It's not a secret.

What makes a story 'interesting' is the angle it's presented with.

Why didn't you ask the 'expert' if he had seen a business plan for the new stadium?
Did you ask him if FFP/SMCP was part of his analysis?
Did you ask him if 'our' style of football was helped by a surface shared with a rugby club?
Did you ask him if he was sure the low rent would continue if we got promoted or when the contract was up for renewal?

Or did you only ask questions to which you would get the desired answers?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy

Why not put out a "get behind the sky blues" type story to get a bit of hype about the club to get people down there supporting the team? Doesn't have to be "support sisu" it should be "support your football team".

This isn't the only CCFC story we've written this week, and it won't be the last. The press conference is happening now, I'm sure something positive will come out of that.

But should we not print things that are perceived to be negative?

It sounds like what you're implying we should do is also what you're accusing us of doing in relation to the council... which is nonsense by the way, it's certainly never happened since I've been at the paper.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
What makes a story 'interesting' is the angle it's presented with.

Or did you only ask questions to which you would get the desired answers?

How could I possibly have known what the answer was going to be before I asked the question?

Do you honestly think we wouldn't have run the story if he was in favour of the idea? Of course we would!

Nick

Administrator
This isn't the only CCFC story we've written this week, and it won't be the last. The press conference is happening now, I'm sure something positive will come out of that.

But should we not print things that are perceived to be negative?

It sounds like what you're implying we should do is also what you're accusing us of doing in relation to the council... which is nonsense by the way, it's certainly never happened since I've been at the paper.

Has nobody at the CET picked up on Tony Mowbray's dig at the pitch after the game the other night? Was quite blatant wasn't it? The playing surface has been a biggish talking point at the Ricoh.

I think it should be the news, as it is, as it happens. Whether it is negative or positive it should be here is the news, these are the facts without any spin or bias. Rather than holding onto it for a few days and then "dropping it in".

The "news" about the stadium was held onto for a few days until the day before a game while we are on a decent run? Will that put people off going? I couldn't give a shit if you catch Tim Fisher and Waggot coming out of a brothel with "talc" all over their faces in terms of news,but this sort of thing could put people going and feeling good about the "club" (not SISU) couldn't it?

There was one the other day about Ricketts going to be Mowbray's first signing, completely forgetting his actual first signing.

It is not personal to you or how you work, more likely papers as a whole.

olderskyblue

NICK talks Nonsense shocker..!!!!

Come on Simon, stop peddling old news. We've known for ages Nick talks nonsense. ;)

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Has nobody at the CET picked up on Tony Mowbray's dig at the pitch after the game the other night? Was quite blatant wasn't it? The playing surface has been a biggish talking point at the Ricoh.

I think it should be the news, as it is, as it happens. Whether it is negative or positive it should be here is the news, these are the facts without any spin or bias. Rather than holding onto it for a few days and then "dropping it in".

The "news" about the stadium was held onto for a few days until the day before a game while we are on a decent run? Will that put people off going? I couldn't give a shit if you catch Tim Fisher and Waggot coming out of a brothel with "talc" all over their faces in terms of news,but this sort of thing could put people going and feeling good about the "club" (not SISU) couldn't it?

There was one the other day about Ricketts going to be Mowbray's first signing, completely forgetting his actual first signing.

I think I know what you are tying to say. But there will always be room for interpretation in anything we write and when we publish it.

I would hope you have read enough of my stuff by now to realise I do try and present the information objectively and aim to provide as full a picture as possible by providing as much information as I can.

I'm not saying I, or the paper, is perfect and doesn't make mistakes or errors of judgment. We do.

Nick

Administrator
NICK talks Nonsense shocker..!!!!

Come on Simon, stop peddling old news. We've known for ages Nick talks nonsense. ;)

ha what like the times we were playing at Sixfields months ago and I said Pressley didn't really have a clue when he needed to make changes, or the time I pointed out Thorn was dog shit? It was taken as nonsense then too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread