Naarich v Spurs (1 Viewer)

ccfc92

So has the offside rule been changed back to any part of the body?

I swear it used to be a ball playing part, i.e hands and arms were exempt?

Anyway, fantastic goal wrongly disallowed imo.

clint van damme

It's meant to sort out clear and obvious errors, not this shambles.

I don't get the argument, are you saying they should say he's off by a few millimetres so let it go?
As I said, if I had my way I'd fuck it off completely but I haven't been banging on about introducing it for years like some people though I did think it worked well in the World cup.

Grendel

I don't get the argument, are you saying they should say he's off by a few millimetres so let it go?
As I said, if I had my way I'd fuck it off completely but I haven't been banging on about introducing it for years like some people though I did think it worked well in the World cup.

Cricket where there’s an area of doubt goes with the referee original call it just doesn’t work in football

ccfc92

The ref missing Kane getting pulled to the ground by players is a clear and obvious error.

A players eyelash offside isn't a clear and obvious error.

Personally, I'd scrap it. l thought goalline technology was enough.

clint van damme

Regardless of the controversy, Norwich have played brilliantly.

on the few occasions I've sen them play I've been impressed. Surprises me they are where they are.
Really like that young lad they've got, Cantwell is it? He isn't playing this evening.

Covstu

It’s bollocks and took the soul out of the game, on the plus side how shit are villa?!

ccfc92

on the few occasions I've sen them play I've been impressed. Surprises me they are where they are.
Really like that young lad they've got, Cantwell is it? He isn't playing this evening.

Got him in my fantasy team, always seems to play well.

Agreed about Norwich, didn't realise they were 20th before today's game. Deserve to be higher imo

Otis

That offside was ridiculous, I’d get rid of it completely, it’s ruining the game
That was ridiculous.

The bottom line is, if you had a strong enough microscope you could disallow a lot more goals. No-one is ever going to be exactly level you would have thought. There would always be micro millimeters in it.

The whole point was to identify clear and obvious errors. That was not a clear and obvious error and therefore the goal should stood. And the closer the incident is, the longer it is going to take for VAR to mull over it and make their decision.

I like the idea of VAR, but to my mind this is not what it should be used for.

Clear and obvious errors only.

chiefdave

People wanted it for things like Lampards disallowed goal for England against Germany. Things that were so obvious they were ridiculous. Not for trying to check offsides by millimetres.

In any case for them to rule offside to that degree of accuracy they need locked off cameras covering every millimetre of the touchline. You can't look across at an angle and then start drawing lines on the picture, its not accurate. Posted this before but this shows the problem very clearly.

Covstu

That was ridiculous.

The bottom line is, if you had a strong enough microscope you could disallow a lot more goals. No-one is ever going to be exactly level you would have thought. There would always be micro millimeters in it.

The whole point was to identify clear and obvious errors. That was not a clear and obvious error and therefore the goal should stood. And the closer the incident is, the longer it is going to take for VAR to mull over it and make their decision.

I like the idea of VAR, but to my mind this is not what it should be used for.

Clear and obvious errors only.
For me they need to change the offsite to either be full or most of body off side if this is going to work, someone’s left ear offside just isn’t working (unless you were lineker!)

Otis

That's definitely what I'm saying, Clint, yes. Because a few millimetres is not a clear and obvious error.

The Pooki one should have been very simple. Quick look on VAR and the conclusion within seconds should have been 'too close to call. Goal stands. '

If you cannot see it is a clear and obvious offside within about 5-10 seconds, let the goal stand.

VAR COULD work, but the way they are implementing it right now is a farce and is disrupting the game and making the viewing experience much worse.

Otis

Screenshot_20191229-073708.png

That one is not clear and obvious. Ten second look, goal should have stood.

I bet that took at least two minutes looking at that.

It's very, very simple to my mind. Look at that. In the above incident it is so close, too close. Let the goal stand.

They could even set a time limit on it, how long a look they take at things.

Still not clear after 20-30 seconds, let the goal or offside stand.

Paul Anthony

If VAR is going to be used as it currently is for offsides, then something similar to "umpires call" in cricket should probably be considered, especially in these incredibly marginal situations.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
View attachment 13769

That one is not clear and obvious. Ten second look, goal should have stood.

I bet that took at least two minutes looking at that.

It's very, very simple to my mind. Look at that. In the above incident it is so close, too close. Let the goal stand.

They could even set a time limit on it, how long a look they take at things.

Still not clear after 20-30 seconds, let the goal or offside stand.
My concern is that they spent ages looking at the attackers position but seemingly neglect to do the same analysis of when the ball was played. In the screenshot above, has the ball been played at that point? Maybe a frame back? Or forward? With the uncertainty of an inflatable ball, why focus on millimetres?

fernandopartridge

The VAR is killing the game argument from the PL fanboys ignores the elephant in the room which is the league itself, and that the clubs that all wanted this sort of thing as the financial implications of wrong decisions are so great.

stupot07

VAR has ruined football.

The Wolves goal should have stood and the liverpool goal missed Van Dijk's handball in the build up to Liverpools game.

It was supposed to be the clear and obvious mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Otis

VAR has ruined football.

The Wolves goal should have stood and the liverpool goal missed Van Dijk's handball in the build up to Liverpools game.

It was supposed to be the clear and obvious mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The only clear and obvious mistake is VAR itself.

skyblue1991

Ways to improve VAR:

1. Let the ref use the monitors FFS
2. Give each team one VAR challenge a half. Use for potential offside goal, foul upcoming to a goal, red cards and penalties
3. Follow Rugby. It works

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Macca

Problem is as per CVD post earlier is that people have slagged off referees and demanded technology for years.

Now they have their wish and they don’t like it. If you want benefit of doubt to attacker and all that then should have stayed with human beings. You can’t have someone offside by his bell end proven by the technology then complain it’s too severe. Take away the human element and you lose common sense and judgement calls

Otis

Problem is as per CVD post earlier is that people have slagged off referees and demanded technology for years.

Now they have their wish and they don’t like it. If you want benefit of doubt to attacker and all that then should have stayed with human beings. You can’t have someone offside by his bell end proven by the technology then complain it’s too severe. Take away the human element and you lose common sense and judgement calls
Have to disagree, to a degree, because I have always wanted the technology, but not to such ridiculous anal lengths as this. This what we have now is just ludicrous.

Make it for clear and obvious and you eliminate nearly all of this nonsense.

As I said before, you could end up getting a microscope if you wanted. There is always going to be the merest fraction in it even if someone is dead level.

Wanting the technology does not automatically equate to having what we have now. So many managers, pundits and players are saying this is a joke.

The Norwich goal should have stood. The other ones too this weekend that were so close it took a number of minutes to come to a decision.

I am all for the technology, but this is not what was first envisaged or wanted.

I just cannot see.how.you can be offside by an armpit hair.

Has to be clear and obvious.

Really tight call, go with the attacking player.

That Pooki goal looked an absolutely perfectly good goal. No-one was shouting offside when it happened and it was a real surprise to see the VAR calling that.

Clear and obvious only.

Otis

Clear and obvious only.

I am sure we have all watched a game and called offside and then when we see a replay we say it either was or wasn't, or was very close.

I bet not one single person watched that Norwich game and said that's offside when Pooki scored.

Quick look. It is either clear or it isn't. If it's not clear let the goal stand.

Has to be clear. I have seen so many of these and said it is really hard to tell. We cannot take things to this ludicrous lengths.

It's very simple.

Paul Anthony

I still believe the technology can have a place and be successful, but not in its current form.

Before the season started, I predicted that there would be plenty of discussion about VAR and offside to such an extent that the rules may well need a rework. That's exactly how its working out.

The problem is that even when they show the VAR replays, a lot of the time it's so marginal that it's still hard to work out if it's actually right at all. Camera angles can be very deceptive unless in absolutely the correct spot, and add to that our referees have (for some ludicrous reason) been told they can't actually use those shiny monitors pitch side, and the whole system becomes absurdly inadequate.

If the system is going to remain, it needs an overhaul. The offside rule as it is needs reworking, with a margin of error factored in. We need more clearly defined parameters so that people can clearly see why goals have been ruled out. At present, it just creates more problems than it solves.

Otis

This sort of thing barely gets a mention and it drives me mad. The technology simply isn't accurate to the level they are trying to apply it. Even if there were no other issues that would need to be addressed.
Exactly right. They are going to such anal lengths when the technology is clearly not supporting that.

Just apply common sense. There are times when a player is clearly offside, but it is not picked up. VAR is perfect for that.

Users who are viewing this thread