Musical Memories (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I heard All Right Now by Free on the radio this morning and it took me back to 1970 and being in the Antelope Club where Carey's is now and having some great nights in that popular club,as this record was always being played then. What record brings back great memories to others on here ?

Otis

When my brother died 4 years ago the pallbearers complained that the coffin was too heavy.

I said, he ain't heavy, he's my brother.

bringbackrattles

When my brother died 4 years ago the pallbearers complained that the coffin was too heavy.

I said, he ain't heavy, he's my brother.
You mentioned a funeral well a few years ago the landlord of my then local pub passed away and he was a miserable git,but he still had a good turn out nonetheless. He was a heavy drinker and it got the better of him in the end.But we were all amazed at the record they played at the end of his funeral which was met by giggles in the pews:Whisky In the Jar by Thin Lizzy ! true story.

Nick

Administrator
Still remember being in a pub once and there was a funeral, then the jukebox came on with an irish sounding song about the devil being dead (it could have been witch).

bringbackrattles

Still remember being in a pub once and there was a funeral, then the jukebox came on with an irish sounding song about the devil being dead (it could have been witch).
Could have been Fire by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown ? Your going to burn burn burn !

Terry Gibson's perm

For my funeral

On the way in Here comes the hot stepper
Half way through Knock on wood
Then Kiss Crazy nights
When the curtains close Fleetwood Mac Go your own way

Hope this won't be for a while though

lifeskyblue

I think I want carnival is over by the seekers at my funeral. Judith durhams voice sends shivers down my spine. Kids can't stand Seekers after listening to them for years in the car. Also Cheap is how I feel by the Cowboy Junkies. Then to get everyone toe tapping Tammienorrie by Shooglenifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

I think I want carnival is over by the seekers at my funeral. Judith durhams voice sends shivers down my spine. Kids can't stand Seekers after listening to them for years in the car. Also Cheap is how I feel by the Cowboy Junkies. Then to get everyone toe tapping Tammienorrie by Shooglenifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about having Spirit In The Sky playing as you leave this mortal coil ? Then again Down Down by Status Quo may be more appropriate !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember the Antelope Club BBR. Also the Tam O'Shanter. (Is it still there?). Anyway, songs that bring back funny / strange / unforgettable memories.

1. Getting barred from the Thistle in the City Arcade for dancing on the table to ABC by the Jackson 5 in 1970. It was my birthday but why the Jackson bloody 5? Gawd knows!

2. Ilove Rock 'n' Roll - Joan Jett. I got barred from the Crown in Stockton because of this one. Me and my older brother were singing along to it at the top of our voices (pissed as usual!) and some locals didn't like it. We had a scrap and found ourselves barred! It was our kid's local as well! He never forgave me!

3. Any Irish drinking song! Wild Rover, Molly Malone, Whisky in the Jar, Black Velvet Band etc... I nearly always end up pissed when I'm at a family gathering and hear them and have to sing along to every one of them! Great craic!

bringbackrattles

I remember the Antelope Club BBR. Also the Tam O'Shanter. (Is it still there?). Anyway, songs that bring back funny / strange / unforgettable memories.

1. Getting barred from the Thistle in the City Arcade for dancing on the table to ABC by the Jackson 5 in 1970. It was my birthday but why the Jackson bloody 5? Gawd knows!

2. Ilove Rock 'n' Roll - Joan Jett. I got barred from the Crown in Stockton because of this one. Me and my older brother were singing along to it at the top of our voices (pissed as usual!) and some locals didn't like it. We had a scrap and found ourselves barred! It was our kid's local as well! He never forgave me!

3. Any Irish drinking song! Wild Rover, Molly Malone, Whisky in the Jar, Black Velvet Band etc... I nearly always end up pissed when I'm at a family gathering and hear them and have to sing along to every one of them! Great craic!
The Tam O' Shanter is gone now think it's a bar and restaurant ? Haven't been up that way for a few years.The Thistle was a funny little place I thought going downstairs but it did get lively at times.Do you miss Coventry at all living so far away ? We slag the place off but once a Cov Kid always a Cov Kid is true isn't it ?

blueflint

bat out of hell for my leaving funeral for going in another one bites the dust

Houchens Head

The Tam O' Shanter is gone now think it's a bar and restaurant ? Haven't been up that way for a few years.The Thistle was a funny little place I thought going downstairs but it did get lively at times.Do you miss Coventry at all living so far away ? We slag the place off but once a Cov Kid always a Cov Kid is true isn't it ?

Do y'know, BBR, every time me and 'er indoors come back to see my kids and grandkids (and a few friends!), we always think how depressing the old place is. We can't wait to get away from there. But I suppose deep down, we compare it to the life-style we have now: retired, do what we like, fabulous places to see within a short distance, cliffs, rocks, caves, the sea, fishing etc, etc.... but Coventry will always be the city of my birth and I defend the place to the hilt if anyone knocks it! I have so many fond (and not so fond) memories of the old place. I was born at Gulson Road Hospital and from there lived in George Street in Hillfields, so I was born within the city walls - a true Coventry Kid!
PS. Not a plug - oh go on then, it is!! - have you read my autobiography? You can hire it out at the library, (or purchase a copy on-line for which I receive royalties!) ;) Details later if required......

mrtrench

I've specified 'the light pours out of me' by Magazine for my funeral.

bringbackrattles

Do y'know, BBR, every time me and 'er indoors come back to see my kids and grandkids (and a few friends!), we always think how depressing the old place is. We can't wait to get away from there. But I suppose deep down, we compare it to the life-style we have now: retired, do what we like, fabulous places to see within a short distance, cliffs, rocks, caves, the sea, fishing etc, etc.... but Coventry will always be the city of my birth and I defend the place to the hilt if anyone knocks it! I have so many fond (and not so fond) memories of the old place. I was born at Gulson Road Hospital and from there lived in George Street in Hillfields, so I was born within the city walls - a true Coventry Kid!
PS. Not a plug - oh go on then, it is!! - have you read my autobiography? You can hire it out at the library, (or purchase a copy on-line for which I receive royalties!) ;) Details later if required......
Sorry for the late reply been window cleaning in Walsgrave in between the showers.Let me know the title of your book,well impressed for you to have written an autobiography.I'd like to do one as well as I've seen and done a lot myself !
I write throughout the season for the Coventry Telegraph on their online banter site and two other football magazines also,but they don't pay you a penny. Anyway I don't blame you wanting to get back to the Isle Of Wight,must be great living in Osborne House ! Let me know about the book okay ?

olderskyblue

Barred from the thistle? blimey. My mates drank in there regularly, which is why I survived going in there (being a long haired hippy type). They used to get into all sorts of bother, but never heard of anyone barred before.

Houchens Head

Barred from the thistle? blimey. My mates drank in there regularly, which is why I survived going in there (being a long haired hippy type). They used to get into all sorts of bother, but never heard of anyone barred before.

There was only 4 of us - me and my first missus, my mate and his missus. We were all absolutely steaming! The gaffer just didn't like us! He told us to piss off out of his pub and never come back! ;)

Houchens Head

Strangely though, I never got barred from my regular haunt, The Market Tavern! Too bloody many of us I reckon! :claping hands:

Users who are viewing this thread