Mowbray, RCC and Defending (1 Viewer)

ConnorDevine

Recently I've seen loads of talk on these three topics on here, facebook and twitter.

The general consensus seems to be that Mowbray has lost the plot, we need to replace RCC with a 'proper' goalkeeper and that our defending is what has gone downhill and ruined our season.

Defending:
I very rarely see anyone agree with my diagnosis but I genuinely think our attacking is the problem. Earlier in the season we were winning most of our games with both teams scoring, 4-3 (Barnsley) 3-2 (Peterborough) but since the 4-1 against Gillingham teams have got wise, realised we will punish anyone who tries to play open and positive and are sitting deep and compact give us no space to run in behind, taking Murphy and Armstrong's strongest asset away therefore cutting off a lot of our goals. Fortune/Tudgay have been used to try and force teams to push on to avoid their aerial threat, but have been mostly ineffective. I don't think we concede any more than we did, we're just scoring less, so instead of winning 3-2 we're losing 2-1.

RCC:
Anyone who has watched RCC for atleast 50% of this season will surely agree that his shot stopping is easily championship standard, and the only errors he makes are down to experience. From watching Burge at the start of the season he was so much less confident than RCC, and was more liable to spill, or stay on his line when he should have come out and it baffles me how many people think he is a better option. Also as far as I can see any 'proper' experienced goalkeeper we could draft in, who wouldn't make errors would likely not be able to reach half the acrobatics RCC does, negating any benefit.

Mowbray:
Best manager we have had in years, injuries have forced us to draft in loads of old, slow, boring players which don't fit our side but offer cover, it's annoying but essentially necessary and given the circumstances I am sympathetic. I agree we need to improve on our current form, there is no excuse to not get play offs, but would murphy, armstrong or kent have chanced a loan to us if we still had Pressley for example? likely not. Mowbray for me offers a lot more than is apparent on the surface, we all seem to have forgotten how he got SISU to improve the backroom structure and club foundations for him, we are a much better club with him at the helm.

Likely to get a lot disagreeing with me here, but hopefully someone will be on the same wavelength.

fernandopartridge

I agree fully but would say our defence since losing reda and then ben turner has looked shaky

Exactly. Look at the team's form since Turner got injured.

We miss a dominant centre half, maybe it was naive to rely on Reda but he really does make a difference for us. It was unlucky to lose Turner, I'd hope in the summer that Mowbray makes a monster centre back his number 1 priority.

nmp2327

It does not really matter when Reda is back as his track record shows he is only capable of 10 to 15 games per season. We need to sort this position out as the number priority and have a plan b player ready should we suffer injuries like all sides are prone to do with such key positions

QUOTE=ConnorDevine;1056163]I have to say I do agree with this, when is reda due back?[/QUOTE]

covcity4life

wba fan at work says he loves mowbray but the dude simply cannot organise a defence

seems same story here

ClarkeZ

Defense is a significant issue. We scored a lot of goals by getting behind another teams back 4 relatively low up the pitch, goals when AA or Murphy went 1v1 with their keeper. I believe we got into those situations by having a defense which could allow teams to come on to us, drift up the field pressing us harder and hitting on the break. A few passes up field and a nice ball to split the defense.

The problem we have now is that the defense can't take that pressure, the midfielders getting ever deeper so there's no link to the forwards.
Add that to the fact teams have worked it all out, know our defense is shaky and therefore very rarely commit men up the field against us (especially at the RICOH) and we don't get those chances anymore.

blueflint

agree with the turner bit but not reda he is to injury prone to ever be any good
time to move him on and find somebody that will last more than half a dozen
games

mark82

agree with the turner bit but not reda he is to injury prone to ever be any good
time to move him on and find somebody that will last more than half a dozen
games

Only if they can get someone in the same mold that can stay fit otherwise would take Reda.

I saw some stats the other day that we had conceded same amount of goals in the 17 or 18 games of poor form as we did in the same number of games at the start of the season when we were playing well. The goals scored was way down. I think the lack of goals being score is highlighting the defensive frailties although I agree we miss a Turner/Reda type. Turner & Reda both had goals in them from set pieces too.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Anyone know how many games out of the 35 we've played that Adam Armstrong has scored in? With him being on 19 (?), and a fair number have included braces and a hat trick, makes me wonder how prolific we have actually been over the season.

9 games of the 35 we haven't scored a goal, so only leaves 26, and hes missed a couple too.

Think that in itself shows how we have struggled up top too (may just me, or I may be making no sense what so ever here.....)

lifeskyblue

You are making sense. Apart from arma and a few games where Murphy was on fire where have the goals come from? Fleck, turner, Reda and stokes have chipped in but we don't look potent anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Anyone know how many games out of the 35 we've played that Adam Armstrong has scored in?

He's played 31 and scored in 11, only 4 of those were single goals.

Currently 4 games without a goal which equals his longest drought. After his last run of 4 without a goal he got a hat trick.

stupot07

He's played 31 and scored in 11, only 4 of those were single goals.

Currently 4 games without a goal which equals his longest drought. After his last run of 4 without a goal he got a hat trick.

He's also only scored in 2 away games all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Gazolba

I think the defense is our main problem and Burge/RCC is a component of that. I'm not sure if RCC is unhinging the defense or the defense is unhinging RCC. But it's not working. Yes, the attack has lacked goals recently but we are not generating enough chances from midfield or the wings because we are too busy defending. Our attack does have the potential to be very potent but our tactics are not providing the support.
I agree that Mowbray has the stature to attract good loanees but I'm not convinced that tactically he is any better than many other managers in our league. For instance he was recently out-managed by Steven Pressley.
By the way the problems with Reda and Turner is down to TM as he decided to resign Reda, a huge mistake in my opinion.

Gazolba

<snip>

We miss a dominant centre half, maybe it was naive to rely on Reda but he really does make a difference for us. It was unlucky to lose Turner, I'd hope in the summer that Mowbray makes a monster centre back his number 1 priority.

Darius Henderson is 6'4" and cannot get on the pitch. Surely he could help with defending set pieces.

shy_tall_knight

"Mowbray:
Best manager we have had in years, injuries have forced us to draft in loads of old, slow, boring players which don't fit our side"

Not sure anyone forced Mowbray to sign the crap that he did.

Hobo

"Mowbray:
Best manager we have had in years, injuries have forced us to draft in loads of old, slow, boring players which don't fit our side"

Not sure anyone forced Mowbray to sign the crap that he did.

Perhaps he was trying to pick the best from the bad bunch his budget allowed. That isn't a criticism of the budget that is available, it is just a reality check.

Otis

I think the defense is our main problem and Burge/RCC is a component of that. I'm not sure if RCC is unhinging the defense or the defense is unhinging RCC. But it's not working. Yes, the attack has lacked goals recently but we are not generating enough chances from midfield or the wings because we are too busy defending. Our attack does have the potential to be very potent but our tactics are not providing the support.
I agree that Mowbray has the stature to attract good loanees but I'm not convinced that tactically he is any better than many other managers in our league. For instance he was recently out-managed by Steven Pressley.
By the way the problems with Reda and Turner is down to TM as he decided to resign Reda, a huge mistake in my opinion.
Not like you to go on about RCC, Gaz.

You've been on about him being a problem all season, except when he has good games of course.

When he played well for three or so games you have stopped moaning about him, but then as soon as he made a mistake you are straight back on his case again. ;)

italiahorse

shrews-5.png

Defending the second goal at Shrewsbury.

Who coaches these guys? Four on the back post, three in each others way. One player marking three on front post.
RCC positioning ?

PVA

Just watched the highlights from Tuesday.

What the hell was RCC doing for the 2nd? The ball goes right past him and he just misses it.

I honestly think he has cost us a minimum of 10 points with errors this season. (It's impossible to quantify how many points he has won us, but definitely less than 10.)

covcity4life

What the hell was RCC doing for the 2nd? The ball goes right past him and he just misses it.

I honestly think he has cost us a minimum of 10 points with errors this season. (It's impossible to quantify how many points he has won us, but definitely less than 10.)

the flcik on header? didnt strike me as a keeper mistake

italiahorse

It was. Look at the positioning above.

Gazolba

Not like you to go on about RCC, Gaz.

You've been on about him being a problem all season, except when he has good games of course.

When he played well for three or so games you have stopped moaning about him, but then as soon as he made a mistake you are straight back on his case again. ;)

Actually I said it was a mistake not to sign an experienced GK before the season even started. I've been consistent ever since and I've not seen anything to change my mind.

wingy

R
Actually I said it was a mistake not to sign an experienced GK before the season even started. I've been consistent ever since and I've not seen anything to change my mind.
A decision open to question and like you one of mine.
Some of the comment from within the club do make you wonder the aims and motives.
Talking like it's a waste of money.
If the aim is promotion then it's questionable going with the young uns.
Maybe it's building them for next season or creating an asset to sell a season or two down the line.
A huge call given the influence on the whole team.
I acknowledge at times this season the goals against column looked very healthy.

H

Huckerby

R
A decision open to question and like you one of mine.
Some of the comment from within the club do make you wonder the aims and motives.
Talking like it's a waste of money.
If the aim is promotion then it's questionable going with the young uns.
Maybe it's building them for next season or creating an asset to sell a season or two down the line.
A huge call given the influence on the whole team.
I acknowledge at times this season the goals against column looked very healthy.
The young uns have been a lot lot better than the experienced ones this season

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

steve82

They say that some experienced keepers can gain you 10 pts a season, RCC has made a few mistakes yes over the season, but he's also saved us a few points along the way like The reflex save against port vale. So I'd score him at evens.
When he didn't concede a goal for 4 league games the main defensive partnership was reda and Martin for 3 games and Ricketts and Martin for the last. It's at this point silly mistakes started to creep into his game
For me watching us we need that dominant central defender like a reda johnson type to lead and Organise the defence. Confidence in leadership is key. No one is giving that currently at the back

Oz Howie

I would hope Mogga has got his scouts working on finding us a dominant central defender (or two) for next season. Don't care if it's non league/lower league or even Scotland! But by now I'm sure he's learnt how important a position it is especially in League 1.

Otis

Defence might well be sorted. Obviously need to add a couple to the squad, but we could form a reasonable defence out of ....

RCC

Lorentzson Willis Martin Stokes

We then may have Ricketts too, though he will be 35.

It's midfield and up front where we will be scarily short, if we lose Fleck, Maddison, Murphy, Hunt (too old), Cole (too old) and then Henderson (too old), Armstrong, MAF (too old) and maybe Tudgay too.

That's pretty much a clean slate for us.

Would say we need our own central midfielder, our own attacking midfielder and our own striker. Don't want another season with a loanee goal scorer, wondering constantly if he's going to get recalled or not.

Users who are viewing this thread