Mowbray Era Begins The Choices (1 Viewer)

Hobo

I really do believe he has inherited squad players with potential rather than cornerstones to aid building a strong team.

GF, CB, CM, CF all cry out for new blood.

however I think TM will see some hope in players, he believes he can develop.
Burge I think he will stick with but will probably look for someone to push him who has experience.
I think Reda he will look to utilise and maybe Fleck as players he can get more out of.
I also think he will give serious consideration to Barton or Nouble..both have strengths but are also seriously flawed. But I wouldn't be suprised if he got rid of both; but one might survive.
I think he will look to bring in three experienced players to help build the spine who can give us 2 to 3 years of quality.
Maddison will be a player to figure but he won't hang him out to dry as a linch pin...next year is his development season.
I think he will bring in two long term loans to finish the spine.

here is to a good summer TM and a successful season.

Otis

I really do believe he has inherited squad players with potential rather than cornerstones to aid building a strong team.

GF, CB, CM, CF all cry out for new blood.

however I think TM will see some hope in players, he believes he can develop.
Burge I think he will stick with but will probably look for someone to push him who has experience.
I think Reda he will look to utilise and maybe Fleck as players he can get more out of.
I also think he will give serious consideration to Barton or Nouble..both have strengths but are also seriously flawed. But I wouldn't be suprised if he got rid of both; but one might survive.
I think he will look to bring in three experienced players to help build the spine who can give us 2 to 3 years of quality.
Maddison will be a player to figure but he won't hang him out to dry as a linch pin...next year is his development season.
I think he will bring in two long term loans to finish the spine.

here is to a good summer TM and a successful season.

Sorry, Hobo, but I have to disagree somewhat.

If we want to be challenging up the other end of the table, then sticking with the likes of Burge, Barton and Nouble just isn't going to cut it.The only one I would even consider keeping there is Fleck.

Burge is still too raw, Barton has had eleventy billion chances and Nouble is good for about 1 game in 7.

I really hope we look much further past these sorts of players in our building process.

standupforcity

Keep - Reda, Fleck, Phillips, Haynes, Maddison, JOB, Turgott, Tudgay and possibly Burge + Ward, Stokes and Pennington if we can get them back.....all as squad players.....the rest can leave as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Hobo

Sorry, Hobo, but I have to disagree somewhat.

If we want to be challenging up the other end of the table, then sticking with the likes of Burge, Barton and Nouble just isn't going to cut it.The only one I would even consider keeping there is Fleck.

Burge is still too raw, Barton has had eleventy billion chances and Nouble is good for about 1 game in 7.

I really hope we look much further past these sorts of players in our building process.

As I have said Otis Burge needs back up with a more experienced keeper. Barton and Nouble have serious flaws. I appreciate your "I hope we look past these players" sentiment.

But we are so thin on the ground when it comes to quality. Yes it is a blank canvass but bringing in so many in one go is not easy. Especially in one window and on a limited wages budget. It is not just about bringing in the new they have to be better.....and he will have to improve some of the players we have already got.....it will be a mix of new faces and development.

Otis

As I have said Otis Burge needs back up with a more experienced keeper. Barton and Nouble have serious flaws. I appreciate your "I hope we look past these players" sentiment.

But we are so thin on the ground when it comes to quality. Yes it is a blank canvass but bringing in so many in one go is not easy. Especially in one window and on a limited wages budget. It is not just about bringing in the new they have to be better.....and he will have to improve some of the players we have already got.....it will be a mix of new faces and development.

Be great though if we can get Pennington back and maybe even, Ward, though I don't have high hopes of such a thing occurring.

Astute

He needs to get Carl baker back

Why?

We only missed him last season as he was much better than anyone that SP replaced him with. But do you really think that TM will sign dross like SP did?

Covcraig@bury

Why?

We only missed him last season as he was much better than anyone that SP replaced him with. But do you really think that TM will sign dross like SP did?
Well let's see how many premier players TM will sign ? We're in league 1 so we will always get dross players !!! And he didn't want to leave !!!

Astute

Well let's see how many premier players TM will sign ? We're in league 1 so we will always get dross players !!! And he didn't want to leave !!!

So you now say that we need a Prem player to replace him? :thinking about:

It is now time for us to go forward. And to me this means replacing players not good enough. But why would we bring past players back when there is better out there? Baker is a decent Division 3 player. But Mowbray has contacts and could well do better.

stupot07

I tend to agree with Otis about the likes of Barton Nouble, etc. we need better and although I appreciated that a high turnover of players is not ideal, TM will never get a better chance to stamp his mark on the squad, and renewing contracts of players who are not consistent enough is just taking up valuable wages (nouble will be one of the highest paid players in the the squad) on squad/back up players for the subs bench. I agree that have to better, but better doesn't necessarily mean raw ability, a promotion charge requires consistency. They'll be plenty of decent players available.

It will be interesting to see what happens at 9am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

As I have said Otis Burge needs back up with a more experienced keeper.

You can apply this to a lot of positions in our side. We have a lot of good kids who we need to bring through and develop. If we can get a bit of success who knows we might manage to hold onto them for a couple of season rather than selling as soon as there's any interest.

However we can't assume the likes of Maddison, Haynes etc will be up to playing a full season as first choice, they will need to come in and out of the side. The tricky part is finding experienced players of a decent standard who are a) happy to not be first choice all the time and b) not too expensive for a player not playing every game.

Samo

Why?

He'll have a very similar budget.

chiefdave

He'll have a very similar budget.

I'm working on the basis that he is happy with the budget on offer as early on in the contract talks it was said that finance was not one of the issues that needed to be discussed. I can't imagine he's agreed to manage on a budget he doesn't feel gives a chance of success.

Covcraig@bury

So you now say that we need a Prem player to replace him? :thinking about:

It is now time for us to go forward. And to me this means replacing players not good enough. But why would we bring past players back when there is better out there? Baker is a decent Division 3 player. But Mowbray has contacts and could well do better.
We are in division 3 !!!!!

Samo

Teams that finished in the top 10 last season had a lower budget to us.

Yes, that's true. I'm just saying don't expect miracles.

Otis

I tend to agree with Otis about the likes of Barton Nouble, etc. we need better and although I appreciated that a high turnover of players is not ideal, TM will never get a better chance to stamp his mark on the squad, and renewing contracts of players who are not consistent enough is just taking up valuable wages (nouble will be one of the highest paid players in the the squad) on squad/back up players for the subs bench. I agree that have to better, but better doesn't necessarily mean raw ability, a promotion charge requires consistency. They'll be plenty of decent players available.

It will be interesting to see what happens at 9am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yep and I was listening to Kenny Dalglish on 5 Live the other night, talking about the Premiership winning season he had at Blackburn and he said, the key wasn't necessarily the players or the style of play, but that of having a great dressing room in tandem.

You need the right spirit and toughness and mental attitude and I'm sure that's exactly what Cotterill instilled at Bristol City last season.

You need great spirit and will to win and togetherness and a winning mindset. Nouble and Barton hardly strike me as the sorts of players who emanate those sorts of qualities.

We need winners and a lot of that is down to a mental thing as much as anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread