More from Derek Richardson... (1 Viewer)

stupot07

He added: “If you look at the Premiership at the moment the only clubs that make money are the clubs that own their own venue."

It's ok, we don't need to own/leasehold/365 day lease or have access to all matchday and additional revenues.....

Some of this is spin though. As Noggin keeps pointing out when Fisher mentions revenues, it's profit not turnover that matters:

He said: “Combining our turnover with the Ricoh turnover means we are already the largest rugby turnover business in the country and second in Europe.

When you read these two articles plus the guardian and independent ones that Duffer posted, there is no way Wasps are going to share anything more than they have to, they certainly aren't going to sell the club 50% shares in ACL to become partners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Moff

Dismisses concerns over losses at Wasps and ACL, talks about plans for the Ricoh, rejects suggestions of a lack of "staying power" for attendances and explains reason for basing business in Malta.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/wasps-owner-derek-richardson-the-9048381

You might not like the answers, but I did ask the questions!

Thats fair enough Simon, but I think what can exasperate is the fact that some of his answers required further questioning, and yet it didnt happen, which I know may or may not have been feasible

Eg) Wasps are not a franchise as they didnt move 1000's of miles like American teams, which required a response pointing out that you cant move 1000's of miles in the UKas it isnt big enough, and in like for like terms, such as the MK Dons, moving a small distance in this country is a franchise move.

Oh and re your empassioned plea yesterday, surely you are not suprised that like all of us posting on a forum, you will be open to debte, questioning and criticism? and if we are honest the paper does gain some benefit from posting links on the site. ;)

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Thats fair enough Simon, but I think what can exasperate is the fact that some of his answers required further questioning, and yet it didnt happen, which I know may or may not have been feasible

Eg) Wasps are not a franchise as they didnt move 1000's of miles like American teams, which required a response pointing out that you cant move 1000's of miles in the UKas it isnt big enough, and in like for like terms, such as the MK Dons, moving a small distance in this country is a franchise move.

Oh and re your empassioned plea yesterday, surely you are not suprised that like all of us posting on a forum, you will be open to debte, questioning and criticism? and if we are honest the paper does gain some benefit from posting links on the site. ;)

Always room for further questioning, I accept that. But after 40-minutes on the phone you will appreciate there's a limit to how long I can keep going! That doesn't mean there will never be follow ups. The interview provides a starting point if nothing else.

RE the franchise comments, I'd hope everyone who lives in the UK knows that it's not a great comparison. But I believe the point he was making was more about travelling time around London and to Coventry. Whether you agree with him or not is a different matter.

No problem with debate and criticism, it is my line of work after all. I just think some of the criticism and debate is misdirected and far from constructive. My point really is that I'd much rather discuss the content of the articles than the methods, style and timing of reports.

I'm not saying we always get it right, but we certainly don't deliberately conspire for or against any party in this fiasco.

martcov

Some of the criticism is OTT and ill informed. It is confrontational - the same stance that led to SISU losing the stadium built for us. I hope we don't lose Simon for the same reason.

SkyBlueScottie

Ref the latest accounts, did he go to the same spin school as Sisu.... A 500% increase on hospitality, wonderful, however how much hospitality was sold while there was no football club at the ground and before Wasps moved there...

Nick

Administrator
Always room for further questioning, I accept that. But after 40-minutes on the phone you will appreciate there's a limit to how long I can keep going! That doesn't mean there will never be follow ups. The interview provides a starting point if nothing else.

RE the franchise comments, I'd hope everyone who lives in the UK knows that it's not a great comparison. But I believe the point he was making was more about travelling time around London and to Coventry. Whether you agree with him or not is a different matter.

No problem with debate and criticism, it is my line of work after all. I just think some of the criticism and debate is misdirected and far from constructive. My point really is that I'd much rather discuss the content of the articles than the methods, style and timing of reports.

I'm not saying we always get it right, but we certainly don't deliberately conspire for or against any party in this fiasco.

But don't you think the method, style and timing can make the content read differently? You could take the same content and report it in various ways and the outcome is completely different isn't it?

Surely it is not down to opinion about their move as it happened so it is pretty much factual?

Nick

Administrator
Ref the latest accounts, did he go to the same spin school as Sisu.... A 500% increase on hospitality, wonderful, however how much hospitality was sold while there was no football club at the ground and before Wasps moved there...

Probably the same as how Wasps increased Cov RFC's attendances.

Simon, out of interest was the winning streak for Cov RFC or the fact the Ricoh was empty this time last year brought up?

Moff

Simon, really I cant say anything except a huge thank you for the response, it is greatly appreciated and I for one always welcome your posts.

I hope you realise if I question, it is what the respondent has said, not what you have written.

torchomatic

“If you look at the Premiership at the moment the only clubs that make money are the clubs that own their own venue."

And yet we're told everyday CCFC don't need to. That's why a new stadium is vital to our future. The Ricoh is the past for CCFC now.

chiefdave

“If you look at the Premiership at the moment the only clubs that make money are the clubs that own their own venue."

And yet we're told everyday CCFC don't need to. That's why a new stadium is vital to our future. The Ricoh is the past for CCFC now

I'd like to hear his answer to that if Simon gets an opportunity to ask it.

If a rugby club at the top level with all the TV money and a salary cap competing with other teams that groundshare can't stay in business without 100% of 365 revenues how does he expect CCFC to stay in business when they have to compete with teams that have no salary cap and own their own grounds?

I appreciate that CCFC isn't really his problem but he does like to give the impression Wasps owning the Ricoh won't be a negative for the football club.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Eastwood and Lucas gave more than an impression. They actually said that CRFC and CCFC would not be affected by Wasps coming to the City.

I appreciate that CCFC isn't really his problem but he does like to give the impression Wasps owning the Ricoh won't be a negative for the football club.

hutch1972

Eastwood and Lucas gave more than an impression. They actually said that CRFC and CCFC would not be affected by Wasps coming to the City.
I cannot believe that anybody would have fell for that line, would they ?
All this bullshit is making me feel sick. I never thought i would ever say this, but i hope Leicester fill the ground and give them a proper pasting.
Up the Tigers

torchomatic

I didn't, but a fair few would have. You only have to read this forum.

All this bullshit is making me feel sick. I never thought i would ever say this, but i hope Leicester fill the ground and give them a proper pasting.
Up the Tigers

chiefdave

In the real world if you wanted to ensure something happened after the sale you would have a legal agreement with penalties if it was breached, how much do you want to bet CCC didn't bother with that and just took Wasps at their word. If Wasps pay back the loan CCC have zero leverage over them and Wasps will be free to do what they like.

torchomatic

I see they've dropped "London" from the Company name now too.

torchomatic

How long before "Coventry" creeps in?

hutch1972

I'm sure they said they weren't going to use Coventry in the name. They have such a deep affection for the city they were worried it would put people off!
Looking at the way some people have reacted to this move , i seriously imagine that a petition to re-name the team coventry wasps is not far away.
Just to think though if all of these rugby loving coventrians had only realised we already had a club in the city and supported them at the Butts, there is a very good chance we would have been a top championship team by now at the very least.

torchomatic

I know they *said* it! Doesn't make it true though! I never thought they would but after reading the two PR pieces in the CT with him saying they are local already, etc then I think it's only a matter of time.

I'm sure they said they weren't going to use Coventry in the name. They have such a deep affection for the city they were worried it would put people off!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Dismisses concerns over losses at Wasps and ACL, talks about plans for the Ricoh, rejects suggestions of a lack of "staying power" for attendances and explains reason for basing business in Malta.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/wasps-owner-derek-richardson-the-9048381

You might not like the answers, but I did ask the questions!

Did you ask any CCFC related question about Wasps at the Ricoh?

Did you ask if his move would negatively impact the clubs chances of buying into revenue streams, revenues we need to survive. When he inevitably tell us it doesn't or the move doesn't negatively impact CCFC did you pull him up on his own words “If you look at the Premiership at the moment the only clubs that make money are the clubs that own their own venue." and ask why this doesn't apply to the football club?

I'd suspect he knows it does apply to the football club but he simply doesn't care, why should he? He has no obligation to CCFC, but it makes the hero worshiping of him and Wasps look all the worse.

Users who are viewing this thread