Moon Landing 50 Years Ago (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

I was about 5 at the time and vaguely recall it happening, so really pleased there's been a fair bit of coverage of this. A good drama-doc last week on the BBC, quite a few more this week to mark the launch tomorrow and the landing on Saturday. Amazing that we had the Wright Brothers' first flight only about 70 years previous to this. Man can be a right git, if only he did more of this instead of killing each other.

ccfc92

I was about 5 at the time and vaguely recall it happening, so really pleased there's been a fair bit of coverage of this. A good drama-doc last week on the BBC, quite a few more this week to mark the launch tomorrow and the landing on Saturday. Amazing that we had the Wright Brothers' first flight only about 70 years previous to this. Man can be a right git, if only he did more of this instead of killing each other.

I do believe it happened, but there is lot's of evidence to suggest the footage is fake.

I would like to see how we progress into space, but I doubt it will be in my lifetime.

Covrock

I was 11 at the time, I had the airfix model of the rocket. Sad time as my Dad passed away less than a month before the landing, so I really wasn't in to it.
Was allowed to stay up and watch it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember it well. I went up with them as a stowaway! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Nah! Not really! But I do remember it. I had not long turned 16 and had left school the previous Christmas. I sat up and watched it with my dear old dad. He would have been 102 now. He snuffed it at 54, not too long after the moon landing.

Houchens Head

Pfft, completely fake. Don't tell me you sheeple believe in the moon.
You could be right! There have been things named after the Sun (snoozespaper), the Star (another snoozepaper), Galaxy, Milky Way, Mars bar - all chocy bars. But have you ever heard of anything named after the moon? No? Didn't think so. That's mighty strange!

Houchens Head

You could be right! There have been things named after the Sun (snoozespaper), the Star (another snoozepaper), Galaxy, Milky Way, Mars bar - all chocy bars. But have you ever heard of anything named after the moon? No? Didn't think so. That's mighty strange!
First one to mention the song, "Moon River" is OUT! …….. Doh!! :banghead:

dutchman

I stayed up all night to watch it, as did at least one very geeky school friend. Got bored at one point while waiting for the moon walk and heated some soup up on the stove only to find the bread I dunked in it had gone off over the weekend and now tasted like like pure penicillin!

Last edited:

Gazolba

Some people claim it was faked and all filmed in a Hollywood studio.
Not saying I believe that myself but I wouldn't put it past the US government.
After all, they did cover up the UFO crash-landing in Roswell.

Mcbean

I was 9 and we all watched it round our neighbours - was spell binding - loving all the programs on this week with all the footage - been to Cap Can before 9-11 so got the full tour in and also went to Houston - fascinating !

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Some people claim it was faked and all filmed in a Hollywood studio.
Not saying I believe that myself but I wouldn't put it past the US government.
After all, they did cover up the UFO crash-landing in Roswell.

I reckon they recorded it as well as a 'just in case' should the live pictures have failed/broken up. Imagine the conspiracy theories had they gone up, not had any pictures and said " we did go up there, you've just got to take our word for it"? For me the fact the Russians didn't dispute it when the space race was such a big thing says a great deal. Nowadays both sides would be coming up with all sorts of outlandish nonsense to discredit the other.

One thing I've always wondered though is the satellites we've sent to the far reaches of the solar system billions of miles away and manage to get data and pictures from but we still can't get a reliable mobile signal if you're more than a few miles from a transmitter. The O2 is sponsored by EE, and I can't get a signal on my phone in that place even though I with EE!

bringbackrattles

A reporter went up to Buzz Aldrin a few years ago and asked him" hey Buzz, is it true you faked the moon landing ?"
Buzz never spoke instead punched the reporter in the face and decked him. The reporter definitely saw stars then !

clint van damme

A reporter went up to Buzz Aldrin a few years ago and asked him" hey Buzz, is it true you faked the moon landing ?"
Buzz never spoke instead punched the reporter in the face and decked him. The reporter definitely saw stars then !

I was in Austin a couple of years ago as was in a bar when the barman answered the phone, he was saying "no way, you're fucking kidding, I won't beat that" to the person on the other end of the phone.

When he'd finished speaking he told us that his mate worked in a bar down the road and they have a little competition each year when SXSW is on to see who serves the most famous person and his mate had just served Buzz Aldrin.

fellatio_Martinez

Why hasn't anyone been up there since the early 70s? You'd think that some prat like Richard Branson would have gone up by now considering that they managed to do it fifty years ago with a few cornflake boxes and a calculator.

Houchens Head

I read somewhere that if you totalled the memory up of all the computers that were needed to send man onto the moon, it would still be smaller in size than your average home computer nowadays!

SkyblueBazza

Yeah, you turn around & pull yer kegs down to show someone yer arse in disrespect

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Why hasn't anyone been up there since the early 70s? You'd think that some prat like Richard Branson would have gone up by now considering that they managed to do it fifty years ago with a few cornflake boxes and a calculator.
Because they found nothing of great use at the time? The cost of building some kind of truly practicable base there would be astronomical (pardon the pun) especially with the knowledge we had (& still have really) about what we might achieve by going back or especially beyond.

SkyblueBazza

I read somewhere that if you totalled the memory up of all the computers that were needed to send man onto the moon, it would still be smaller in size than your average home computer nowadays!
Last time I heard something along those lines they quoted the Samsung S8 having greater computing power than the Saturn V rocket technology.
Sadly, I can only get my mobile to launch by clicking on an app icon or throwing the goddamn thing

fellatio_Martinez

Because they found nothing of great use at the time? The cost of building some kind of truly pryacticable base there would be astronomical (pardon the pun) especially with the knowledge we had (& still have really) about what we might achieve by going back or especially beyond.

Only Americans have walked on the moon though. You'd think that Russia, China and the big powers would have wanted to put their people up there as a show of power?

duffer

I stayed up all night to watch it, as did at least one very geeky school friend. Got bored at one point while waiting for the moon walk and heated some soup up on the stove only to find the bread I dunked in it had gone off over the weekend and now tasted like like pure peniclilin!

On the upside, you've never had a cold since. :)

Marty

I think space and the planets are amazing, and really we should be spending a hell of a lot more money exploring the solar system and beyond. The Saturn V rocket is amazing!

Paul Anthony

The moon is hollow and was constructed by aliens as a base from which to spy on us. The John Lewis Christmas advert hinted at this a few years ago.

Are you saying that's no moon....... It's a space station???

Users who are viewing this thread