Mistaken song lyrics (1 Viewer)

Gaz71

Song 2 by Blur..... I got my head checked by a jombochee, what the hells a jombochee ???

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Misheard lyrics are called "Mondegreens". The phrase was first coined when a writer explained that listening to the lyrics of a Scottish Ballad, she misheard the words "...laid him on the green" as Lady Mondegreen. Boring fact, I know, but I love 'em! More Mondegreens..........
Donuts make my brown eyes blue.
Actual lyric: Don't it make my brown eyes blue.
(Crystal Gale)
Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you.
Actual lyric: Every time you go away you take a piece of me with you.
(Paul Young)
Got a lot of lovely peanuts.
Actual lyric: Got a lot of love between us.
(Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons)
Happy as a rafter in the market place.
Actual lyric: Happy ever after in the market place.
(Beatles "Ob la di")
Hold me closer, Tony Danza. Count the head lice on the highway.
Actual lyric: Hold me closer, tiny dancer. Count the headlights on the highway.
(Elton John "Tiny Dancer")
I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot him dead you see.
Actual lyric: I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy.
(Eric Clapton)
I'll never leave your pizza burning.
Actual lyric: I'll never be your beast of burden.
(Rolling Stones)
'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy
Actual lyric: 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky
(Jimi Hendrix)

Gaz71

Misheard lyrics are called "Mondegreens". The phrase was first coined when a writer explained that listening to the lyrics of a Scottish Ballad, she misheard the words "...laid him on the green" as Lady Mondegreen. Boring fact, I know, but I love 'em! More Mondegreens..........
Donuts make my brown eyes blue.
Actual lyric: Don't it make my brown eyes blue.
(Crystal Gale)
Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you.
Actual lyric: Every time you go away you take a piece of me with you.
(Paul Young)
Got a lot of lovely peanuts.
Actual lyric: Got a lot of love between us.
(Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons)
Happy as a rafter in the market place.
Actual lyric: Happy ever after in the market place.
(Beatles "Ob la di")
Hold me closer, Tony Danza. Count the head lice on the highway.
Actual lyric: Hold me closer, tiny dancer. Count the headlights on the highway.
(Elton John "Tiny Dancer")
I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot him dead you see.
Actual lyric: I shot the Sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy.
(Eric Clapton)
I'll never leave your pizza burning.
Actual lyric: I'll never be your beast of burden.
(Rolling Stones)
'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy
Actual lyric: 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky
(Jimi Hendrix)

I heard a song on the radio called C Moon by Wings and for years I sang Sea Moose!

Johnnythespider

Elbows "the night will always win" when they sing "I miss your bad advice" I hear "I miss your battered thighs"

Houchens Head

"How to Shave Your Wife" - The Fray

torchomatic

Didn't Tracey Chapman mention Leeds United in Fast Car?

dancers lance

Have a listen to "That don't impress me much" by Shania Twain there's a line in it that goes "I can't believe you kiss your car goodnight" but it sounds exactly like she is singing "I can't believe you kiss your cock at night" The video below will start at the right spot!

A mate of mine said "I love that new Kaiser Chief track, the one that goes "I have got tourettes, I have got tourettes" which was in fact "I predict a riot"

"Like a nine stone cowboy"

dutchman

In the original version of "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera there's a line which sounds like:

"What a change! You're not a bitch, the cockish girl I used to know!"

Broke me up every time I heard it.

The lyrics were changed in later versions to avoid any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

I used to work with an old boy who'd belt out the 'classics' on a daily basis (We're talking predominantly 1950's standards) The first time I heard him croon Dean Martin's 'That's amore' was quite amusing. - "When the moon's in the sky like a piece of pork pie, that's amore". He sang it that way for a couple of weeks until I couldn't resist it anymore and inquired whether he knew the 'real version' - "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore". He laughed my suggestion off at first but soon realised the use of chosen snack in lyrics to create a certain romantic setting probably wasn't that appropriate.
In a thick Brummie accent he admitted: "Bloody ell, I've bin singin it that way for the last bloody forty years".
I don't mind acknowledging, on the very rare occasion I've revved up that line in public - It's always been Old Ronnie's version.

dutchman

I remember when ABBA's "Super Trooper" was first played on the radio everyone thought they were singing "...when I saw you last night in Tesco"!

It was hilarious at the time as trade names were strictly forbidden on the BBC, you couldn't even mention Coca-Cola in a song.

dutchman

Was listening to Brenda Lee's "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" this afternoon and there's a line which should be:

"Later we'll have some pumpkin pie" but because of her problem with adenoids it sounds like something very different.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Song 2 by Blur..... I got my head checked by a jombochee, what the hells a jombochee ???

Not exactly misheard lyrics but Never Mind The Buzzcocks did this and turned into a story of a sugar junkie which I still can't help but sing when I hear it now.

(WOO HOO) When I feel like a fig roll
(WOO HOO) Or a piece of Arctic Roll
(WOO HOO) When I lie in my bed, yeah
All of the time, I'm never sure why I naked.
Is there any jam?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Endless Elton John lyrics
"I'm still standing better than I ever did. Looking like a supervisor, feeling like a little kid. "
In fact most of every song of his I can't understand.

Ian1779

As a youngster I remember hearing Always by Bon Jovi and thinking the lyric was ‘now the kitchen that you left behind’

skyblue1991

I'm blue
Daba dee daba die
I'm in need of a guy
I got beat up and died
I will bleed I will die
I will pee on a guy

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Fairly recent song, Feel My Needs by Weiss. Heard it on the radio the first time as Feel My Knees. It’s stuck ever since.

oakey

Also recently my daughter - who is 32 - said she'd heard the song MacArthur Park and the lyrics really are what I sang to her when she was little. She thought I was making them up (as I did for "Postman Pat and his black and white HAT", amongst others)
'Someone left a cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again"

Houchens Head

I remember when ABBA's "Super Trooper" was first played on the radio everyone thought they were singing "...when I saw you last night in Tesco"!

It was hilarious at the time as trade names were strictly forbidden on the BBC, you couldn't even mention Coca-Cola in a song.
When the Kinks recorded "Lola", the original lyrics were "tastes just like Coke-Cola". They had to fly back from a tour in the US just to re-record the words "Cherry Cola" so that the Beeb would play it! Years ago, I had a compilation album of original songs etc. It was on there as "Coke-Cola".

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As a youngster I remember hearing Always by Bon Jovi and thinking the lyric was ‘now the kitchen that you left behind’

On a similar note The Prodigy - Out of Space the line where they say "Pay Close Attention" my sister thought was "Hey, Close The Kitchen"

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm blue
Daba dee daba die
I'm in need of a guy
I got beat up and died
I will bleed I will die
I will pee on a guy

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Remember the first time I got told about the "I'm in need of a guy" and now i hear nothing else.

Another one is Ghostbusters.

"Who ya gonna call?"
"THOSE BASTARDS!"

richnrg

Inner City song 'Big Fun'

Always thought that they were singing 'we're having meatballs' (rather than we're having big-fun)

Users who are viewing this thread