Missed opportunity? (2 Viewers)

Ccfcisparks

After reflecting on yesterday, and initially being pleased with a point, I’ve decided it was a bit of a missed opportunity. With 4 tough games coming up and the potential of getting 0 points, do you feel yesterday was a point gained or 2 points lost?

jordan210

We did hit the bar what was probably the closes chance all game.

Dint we have this a year or so ago when we dint have a shot on target and everyone on here lost their heads

Barnsley

Reading this forum from what I can see yesterday seems to be a one off, before the game you were all expecting to beat us, even smash, or definitely out play us, and have us under the cosh. Because that didn’t happen, you now feel apprehensive going into the next block of games, we had our chances to win the game yesterday and would have if we’d got any any sort of composure and quality up front. we’re not a shit side, nor are CCFC, yesterday you came up against arguably the best pressing side in the league, our defensive organisation is very good, and because of it we sacrifice some attacking intent at times. We give up possession to win it back high up the pitch, which makes us a difficult team to play against. I think you’ll fair much better in the forthcoming games, then you think you will, when teams try to build up attacks against you’ll be able to overload the wings and mount counter attacks, getting quality balls into the danger areas, you had no chance of that against us, but you will against most teams in the league.

Ccfcisparks

Reading this forum from what I can see yesterday seems to be a one off, before the game you were all expecting to beat us, even smash, or definitely out play us, and have us under the cosh. Because that didn’t happen, you now feel apprehensive going into the next block of games, we had our chances to win the game yesterday and would have if we’d got any any sort of composure and quality up front. we’re not a shit side, nor are CCFC, yesterday you came up against arguably the best pressing side in the league, our defensive organisation is very good, and because of it we sacrifice some attacking intent at times. We give up possession to win it back high up the pitch, which makes us a difficult team to play against. I think you’ll fair much better in the forthcoming games, then you think you will, when teams try to build up attacks against you’ll be able to overload the wings and mount counter attacks, getting quality balls into the danger areas, you had no chance of that against us, but you will against most teams in the league.
Think that’s a fair comment. You are a very good team at stifling play and limiting opportunities. I think on paper you look at these teams and they have better squads so you assume they are less winnable, in reality they will be more open. We might get spanked, we might do well. I agree with your sentiments that Barnsley are well organised, a more clinical team would have won yesterday though. All the best for the season.

Hertsccfc

I think that is a fair assessment. Your predictions were pretty much correct about the match.

Paxman II

2 points lost which suggest we are already holding on to expectancy after 3 games in. May that continue.

fatso

In the end it was a point gained.
They are a high press, high energy side,
And we changed personal in midfield to combat them. In the end we gave up some of our attacking movement by swapping shippers for the defence minded Sheaf.
In view of our set up, a point must satisfy MR.

cooperskyblue

It is a point gained. Ofcourse would have loved a win. Writing off the next 4 is a joke. Yes we could lose them all but we could quite as easily win them. Let's not get carried away with who we are playing. They will be tough games but games I don't see any reason that we can't create opportunities and take them and puck up more wins.

Dirk Turpin

We will be afforded much more space in the next lot of games and one thing we've shown so far is that we can create opportunities. Obviously the next 4 matches we will be coming up against some of the teams expected to do well this year.

Personally I think the Barnsley game will set us in good stead in terms of playing under pressure and the back line all had a good game.

No discredit to Barnsley but it does seem like they set up to defend and are selected based on work rate as the Barnsley fan said. That being said does look like they could field a team of 10 defensively minded players with no difference to their attack.

I think playing Sheaf in cm instead of Shipley really allowed Hamer to play his game more freely.

I don't think we can be too hard on Godden either given he was up against a CB who is 6'6" or something when he had very little support.

Probably a fair result given we didn't get into gear in the final third eg poor passing and they squandered some decent chances.

We look dangerous from set pieces. Ostigard had a chance on target against Bristol and hit the post yesterday. Hamer's delivery is going to cause problems if we can get the bigger lads on the end of it.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wycombe will be below us. Sheff Wed losing and if that result stays as is, we still have 12 point swing on Sheff Wed.. Every point important, and anything we pick up over the next 4 will be important. Would take 4 points any day of the week, and won't cry over 3, providing the players come through unscathed and we compete.

Edit: slightly strange fixtures for us regarding Sheff Wed. Play them on 19th Dec (away) and 16th Jan (home) Only 4 weeks apart. Let's hope we don't draw them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup!

Last edited:

Barnsley

We will be afforded much more space in the next lot of games and one thing we've shown so far is that we can create opportunities. Obviously the next 4 matches we will be coming up against some of the teams expected to do well this year.

Personally I think the Barnsley game will set us in good stead in terms of playing under pressure and the back line all had a good game.

No discredit to Barnsley but it does seem like they set up to defend and are selected based on work rate as the Barnsley fan said. That being said does look like they could field a team of 10 defensively minded players with no difference to their attack.

I think playing Sheaf in cm instead of Shipley really allowed Hamer to play his game more freely.

I don't think we can be too hard on Godden either given he was up against a CB who is 6'6" or something when he had very little support.

Probably a fair result given we didn't get into gear in the final third eg poor passing and they squandered some decent chances.

We look dangerous from set pieces. Ostigard had a chance on target against Bristol and hit the post yesterday. Hamer's delivery is going to cause problems if we can get the bigger lads on the end of it.

We’re always fighting against the tide trying not to drowned, that’s the football club, and the people of Barnsley in general, theirs not a lot of money up here, so you do the best with what you’ve got, we work hard putting the effort in trying our best to improve as we go along, the majority of us can’t afford flash cars, big houses, and a life of luxury, and most people are content with that. Our football clubs the same, we can’t afford flash players, but we can bring in hard workers looking to better themselves and the club, young lads trying their best to survive in a difficult league, working hard for everything they get. We don’t have much but what we do have we’ll work our bollox off to try and keep it, that’s the mentally we’ve got in this town, and at the moment it’s the mentally of our football club too.

fernandopartridge

We weren't all expecting that at all, only a few clueless people. I said a point would be a good result and it was.
Looking at games in the context of a dozen or so others is dysfunctional, take each game as it comes and try to win every one. It's a competitive league and I don't believe there is significantly more to fear from anybody than there was from Barnsley.

hill83

Im sure we hit the bar. Is that not a shot on target

tenor.gif

covboy1987

After reflecting on yesterday, and initially being pleased with a point, I’ve decided it was a bit of a missed opportunity. With 4 tough games coming up and the potential of getting 0 points, do you feel yesterday was a point gained or 2 points lost?
When you look at the table and see barnsley almost bottom of the table then you think missed opprtunity - However the other two league games Barnsley have played lost Reading 2-0 away and Luton 1-0 Barnsely were very unlucky- so an away point isent a bad return

KenilworthSkyBlue

You certainly were a nuisance to play against, and against teams that make it difficult for us we often struggle to find our rhythm. So, I think we would've done well to come away with a win. The more reasonable posters on this forum realised that from the off. It's only those that clearly haven't looked into how you play, coupled with having an overinflated view of our ability at this level who genuinely thought that we'd 'smash' you. I think a draw was a good result from our perspective.

It's clear that you're going to cause a number of problems for teams this year but you need to improve on your end product (ironic I know given we didn't have even one shot on target) as your wastefulness showed.

Barnsley

You certainly were a nuisance to play against, and against teams that make it difficult for us we often struggle to find our rhythm. So, I think we would've done well to come away with a win. The more reasonable posters on this forum realised that from the off. It's only those that clearly haven't looked into how you play, coupled with having an overinflated view of our ability at this level who genuinely thought that we'd 'smash' you. I think a draw was a good result from our perspective.

It's clear that you're going to cause a number of problems for teams this year but you need to improve on your end product (ironic I know given we didn't have even one shot on target) as your wastefulness showed.
I have no doubt that if we could score goals we’d be a top half side pushing for the top six, with our style of play, but we can’t score goals so we’re not, I also know as soon as we get a striker that can score goals, we’ll sell a midfielder or two and we’ll not be able to create the chances we are now. BFC destined to always be a couple of players short.

CCFCSteve

I’d say the game against Bristol was more of a missed opportunity than Saturday

Sloppy first goal, should’ve had one or two more before half time and just tired at the end

Ps they are also now top of the league after three wins on the spin !

Brylowes

theirs not a lot of money up here, so you do the best with what you’ve got, we work hard putting the effort in trying our best to improve as we go along, the majority of us can’t afford flash cars, big houses, and a life of luxury, and most people are content with that.
Have you been to Cov :unsure: Beverly Hills it ain’t !!!

RegTheDonk

Nearly all the opposition are new to us and, as we were unlucky and virtually gifted Bristol the winner, plus the attitude we showed against QPR, there was the expection to do better against you. I think it's faith in us rather than seeing you as crap - we have a good management team and a decent squad. Blips will hopefully be ironed out and would be pleased if your prediction of doing better pans out.

Didn't see our game as I was in the bloody vets all afternoon but my knowledge of the sport means I'm probably the worst person here to debate the finer points with you lol. Hey, I did get the 0-0 right though :D

Users who are viewing this thread