Michael Doyle star man (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

Michael Doyle what a star man - I seem to remember got a little stick from time to time when he wore the famous sky blue shirt the same as Carl Baker but they had two things in common they were both decent players and both loyal and dedicated to the club, which is what ingredients you need to build a team.Writing in the Yorkshire post this morning he has obviously got his own opinion of what is wrong at our club

“My main priority is Sheffield United, to try and drive this team on and get promoted, but I want Coventry to stay up and do well.
“That’s where I am from, my kids and that are there, and I had a long time at Coventry. I absolutely loved it, it’s a fantastic club.
“It’s just a shame what’s going on there, with the owners and things.

mrtrench

Another player who looked quite limited at the time but would enhance our current midfield. Doyle next to Fleck would bring out the best in Fleck too.

Kingokings204

This doesn't change my opinion on Doyle. He was and still is a very bad player. I would never question his desire but his quality is non existent. He was part of the problem and no surprise he has dwindled down the leagues.

Honest as they come but no I celebrated the day he finally left. He was here far too long and as we know the only reason he never left us was because no one else wanted him. Tells you everything you need to know.

covboy1987

This doesn't change my opinion on Doyle. He was and still is a very bad player. I would never question his desire but his quality is non existent. He was part of the problem and no surprise he has dwindled down the leagues.

Honest as they come but no I celebrated the day he finally left. He was here far too long and as we know the only reason he never left us was because no one else wanted him. Tells you everything you need to know.

firstly you are entitled to your opinion but fact speaks for itself as i do not agree he was a bad player - he was a very good player in my opinion as 265 games for Cov 42 for Leeds and now 171 games for Sheffield utd as captain quite clearly show what a good player he is - nigel clough is also no mug and would not have Doyle as his leader if he was poor - He also won Coventry city player of the year and also played for his national side

fernandopartridge

What's the difference between Doyle and our central midfielders?

He actually gets into the opposition penalty area. When was the last time any of ours managed to do that?

duffer

Appreciate it's all about opinions, but I'd differ slightly here. What made him a good player to have was his desire. You don't necessarily need to be an outstanding footballer to do a decent job as a defensive midfielder, and boy don't we need someone now who can get in the faces of the opposition and lift the whole team up.

What I didn't much like about Doyle were the occasional cheap shots he'd take at other players, clipping people off the ball and stuff like that. For all that though, I'd have him back like a shot. Like Baker, if he's a regular player in a team that's well above us then it suggests to me that he's probably better than anything we've currently got.

Last edited:

hill83

No real opinion either way on Doyle. But it's important to remember that players of old that we didn't really rate are pretty much all significantly better than the absolute shite we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread