Meltdown (1 Viewer)

Gosb

'Today was a disaster', '15 games to save his job', 'We are gradually getting worse', Throwing the season away', 'Desire, passion and commitment'. Yes, yesterday was a great disappointment, but is it really necessary for this Forum to go into meltdown every time we have a poor result? I can only assume that this is a form of therapy to ward off the depression caused by such results. Or are there 'fans' who take a perverse delight in our losing? Why not have a sticky thread called 'the Psychiatrist's couch' where we can all go whenever we lose?

Nick

Administrator
I take absolutely no joy or delight in us losing. I am not advocating sacking Robins either but yesterday was the point that ruled out Automatic Places for me. I really hope I am wrong but it's been another 2 games where we have created absolutely nothing and had no gameplan at all.

It's more of a bigger picture than just yesterday, it's all well and good saying it's because of illness in the camp but it was pretty much the same against Forest Green.

Tommo72

'Today was a disaster', '15 games to save his job', 'We are gradually getting worse', Throwing the season away', 'Desire, passion and commitment'. Yes, yesterday was a great disappointment, but is it really necessary for this Forum to go into meltdown every time we have a poor result? I can only assume that this is a form of therapy to ward off the depression caused by such results. Or are there 'fans' who take a perverse delight in our losing? Why not have a sticky thread called 'the Psychiatrist's couch' where we can all go whenever we lose?

Really?

Did you go yesterday?

Voice_of_Reason

I take absolutely no joy or delight in us losing. I am not advocating sacking Robins either but yesterday was the point that ruled out Automatic Places for me. I really hope I am wrong but it's been another 2 games where we have created absolutely nothing and had no gameplan at all.

It's more of a bigger picture than just yesterday, it's all well and good saying it's because of illness in the camp but it was pretty much the same against Forest Green.
I was at Forest Green and our performance was dire. Yesterday our performance was even worse than at FGR.

torchomatic

Tend to agree wirh OP. I.knew there would be a meltdown on here which is why I've pretty much taken the more hysterical threads and posts with a pinch of salt.

We lost. We'll bounce back.

matesx

Did you expect positivity and cheer on here last night?

Absolutely pathetic performance hot on the heels of the dire FGR defeat.

matesx

Tend to agree wirh OP. I.knew there would be a meltdown on here which is why I've pretty much taken the more hysterical threads and posts with a pinch of salt.

Torch, what have you seen in the last 2 games to suggest we will bounce back?

torchomatic

I was at Forest Green and our performance was dire. Yesterday our performance was even worse than at FGR.

Same here. I was at FGR and yesterday's was worse. Shame as there were a lot of expectant people there . These things happen though and we've always messed up these opportunities .

Tommo72

Disagree, it’s the nature of how lost yesterday and the week before and I don’t think we will bounce back this time...

We were a difficult team to beat, it has been our ‘thing’ all season....we aren’t difficult to beat now and we let goals in pretty much every game after countless clean sheets.

The trend is obvious.

torchomatic

Torch, what have you seen in the last 2 games to suggest we will bounce back?

Because it's happened before this season and we have. To be honest I'm not the sort to cry into my beer after a defeat and I never have been. I'm not the kind of.fan who think it's all over after a defeat and think we are world beaters after a victory .

Nick

Administrator

I can't see it, we look devoid of any creativity and have absolutely nothing to create goals. People will slate Biamou and no doubt JCH about being a bad signing but we create absolutely nothing for them going forward.

Robins really does need to go right back to basics on how to score goals and stop hoping for a bit of magic from McNulty or a defender to make a mistake.

We are in competition with teams like Accrington who came at us with a gameplan from the off, it could have been about 4-0 and their keeper didn't have anything to do.

We can't break teams down at all, we don't score simple goals like Accrington's yesterday or theirs when we played them away.

Otis

I would agree, but that is two defeats and two dreadful performances in a row.

Think that does make a difference. One defeat in isolation, yep I agree with you, but two in a row and the manner of those two defeats, where we have looked much more like relegation fodder than promotion candidates, then it is indeed totally understandable.

I do think some of the thread titles are a bit OTT, mind.

torchomatic

Disagree, it’s the nature of how lost yesterday and the week before and I don’t think we will bounce back this time...

We were a difficult team to beat, it has been our ‘thing’ all season....we aren’t difficult to beat now and we let goals in pretty much every game after countless clean sheets.

The trend is obvious.

Well I disagree with you disagreeing with me. Two games isn't a 'trend. You may be right of course and if you are you can tell me you told me so. But nah, not convinced this is the end.

Nick

Administrator
Well I disagree with you disagreeing with me. Two games isn't a 'trend. You may be right of course and if you are you can tell me you told me so. But nah, not convinced this is the end.

To be fair, it isn't just 2 games. We have absolutely no gameplans, nothing attacking wise and create nothing.

It's pretty much every game where I can see what other teams plan is, then you look at us and there is no thought or something we try time after time to unlock their defences (hammering it forward anywhere across the pitch without looking up to see if we have a player there doesn't count as a gameplan).

CovBurty

Come the start of this season anyone, with understanding of our useless owners, who thought we would walk this league were/deluded. Even after last two rubbish results we are close to play offs. Before we go mental at least give it another month. MR must have by now realised what it's like managing a club owned by idiots. He's doing his best under very trying circumstances. imo.

torchomatic

To be fair, it isn't just 2 games. We have absolutely no gameplans, nothing attacking wise and create nothing.

Well let's all give up then. Shut the forum down and let's all do something else . It's obviously all hopeless.

Nick

Administrator
Well let's all give up then. Shut the forum down and let's all do something else . It's obviously all hopeless.

I haven't given up, I will be there as usual and watching the next game.

Just saying I think Automatics are out of the equation now unless something drastically changes.

I think we are now competing for 6th or 7th, 5th at a push.

I'm not having a meltdown or being overly negative just realistic now after watching failures to adapt game after game.

Otis

And we do keep losing away. Just five wins in 15 away games.

We have been overly reliant on our home form and yesterday that all came crashing down.

I don't think it's over yet, but it is a big concern that we may well slide now.

Stating the bleedin obvious, but Tuesday is crucial.

Tommo72

I respect your optimism and I hope you are correct but for me this is going to be a dog fight until season end and this lot don’t seem ready for that.

Tuesday needs an away win for me so let’s see how they bounce back because Mansfield Away is the next league game after that...

torchomatic

I haven't given up, I will be there as usual and watching the next game.

Just saying I think Automatics are out of the equation now unless something drastically changes.

I think we are now competing for 6th or 7th, 5th at a push.

Well over the last 18 hours or so this site has turned into a mini Twitter and Facebook with hysteria ramped up to ridiculous levels.

Tommo72

Bit of a juvenile response that.

A forum is for sharing opinions and airing off frustrations and all I see is some valid points and obvious concerns....

Nick

Administrator
Well over the last 18 hours or so this site has turned into a mini Twitter and Facebook with hysteria ramped up to ridiculous levels.

I reckon some will have just seen their first game and how poor it was, I am not feeling optimistic based on how we haven't created anything all season and yesterday were limited to a lame free kick and a random shot from McNulty.

We need to be creating chances.

I'm not taking it to the extreme or giving it the "Im never going again" as I will be back as usual week in, week out just have ruled us out of autos in my head.

If we go on a crazy run of wins then I'd love it, but I just can't see how.

torchomatic

Bit of a juvenile response that.

A forum is for sharing opinions and airing off frustrations and all I see is some valid points and obvious concerns....

Flippant, I admit I've certainly seen some juvenile responses on here over the last 18 hours or so.

Tommo72

Be interested to know which comments you disagree with then because all you seem to be doing is portraying hope over anything else....look at the hard facts and come back mate..

torchomatic

Hard facts? We've been crap for two games running. We have a massive injury list. We let 20 odd thousand people down yesterday which was shit and a missed oppprtunity but we are still only two points from the play offs. I cant see us capitulating ansd tumbling down the league but if we do I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

I can't see it though . Call it blind optimism, call it stupidity, call it what you want but that is how I feel about this weekend and the FGR result.

SkyBlueRuffian

Another supporter who settles for shit

Nick

Administrator
I dont see it as just these 2 games though, we haven't been creating shed loads of chances every game and they have just dried up the past 2 games.

The only thing earlier on is that the defence were solid so it made up for it, but now we are leaking goals left right and centre we can't do that.

SkyBlueRuffian

Come the start of this season anyone, with understanding of our useless owners, who thought we would walk this league were/deluded. Even after last two rubbish results we are close to play offs. Before we go mental at least give it another month. MR must have by now realised what it's like managing a club owned by idiots. He's doing his best under very trying circumstances. imo.
He’s had enough resources to beat Forest fuckin Green

Otis

Hard facts? We've been crap for two games running. We have a massive injury list. We let 20 odd thousand people down yesterday which was shit and a missed oppprtunity but we are still only two points from the play offs. I cant see us capitulating ansd tumbling down the league but if we do I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

I can't see it though . Call it blind optimism, call it stupidity, call it what you want but that is how I feel about this weekend and the FGR result.
I am a very optimistic person on the whole, but what concerns me as much as anything is that all our creativity is pretty much coming through Bayliss of late and earlier in the season it was pretty much all coming through Jodi Jones.

Add to that we have lost both Grimmer and Davies for several games, and it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

If we had our full complement of players and if I knew Robins was going to tinker and try and adjust the way that we play to get us creating more, I would then still have a fair bit of belief.

Get the feeling he is not going to change it though and away especially it's not working. Just 5 away wins in 15 matches.

Very interested to see if we can turn things round on Tuesday, but unfortunately I AM expecting defeat.

The Lurker

Because it's happened before this season and we have. To be honest I'm not the sort to cry into my beer after a defeat and I never have been. I'm not the kind of.fan who think it's all over after a defeat and think we are world beaters after a victory .

you saying we’ve bounced back before? How do you work that out? we’re in league 2 for a reason because we never bounce back. we get ourselves in positions of hope and then it dwindles. reminds me of the Mowbray season. looking good upto January then goes downhill. performance yesterday and as fgr was inept, very little creativity. the cup run for me is a distraction. if we lose Tuesday col u will be on the same points as us.

Tommo72

I am a very optimistic person on the whole, but what concerns me as much as anything is that all our creativity is pretty much coming through Bayliss of late and earlier in the season it was pretty much all coming through Jodi Jones.

Add to that we have lost both Grimmer and Davies for several games, and it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

If we had our full complement of players and if I knew Robins was going to tinker and try and adjust the way that we play to get us creating more, I would then still have a fair bit of belief.

Get the feeling he is not going to change it though and away especially it's not working. Just 5 away wins in 15 matches.

Very interested to see if we can turn things round on Tuesday, but unfortunately I AM expecting defeat.

Spot on again.

We all have optimism and hope that’s why we go but the trends can’t be ignored and I too expect defeat on Tuesday. Colchester 13/8 to beat us which is very generous...

Otis

I dont see it as just these 2 games though, we haven't been creating shed loads of chances every game and they have just dried up the past 2 games.

The only thing earlier on is that the defence were solid so it made up for it, but now we are leaking goals left right and centre we can't do that.
If you look back recently too, against Swindon Biamou hit a worldly. Probably wouldn't do that again if he had another 30 attempts. There was not any creativity involved. Long punt from the keeper, ball fell to him and he blasted it.

Against both Cambridge and Swindon McNulty hit two great strikes out of the blue. We didn't really create anything for those goals either.

I'm not complaining about the goals, all great goals, but we can't keep relying on that. We need the bread and butter goals too, exactly the same sort of goals Accrington scored yesterday and they could have scored more too.

How many times are we getting the ball to the byline and pulling it back to enable strikers to have a chance to score?

westofrayne

Sadly yesterday was a let down, it was a chance to showpiece the team who (for once) were at the top end of the table, in front of 14k+ 'new potential' fans, as per usual we fell flat on our faces, it was not necessarily the defeat, but the manor of the defeat that upset me. There is little skill at this level, a lot of the football is kick and rush, but the occasional bit of skill and 100% effort has seen us through a large number of games.

Selling Stephenson (yes I know he wanted to go) now does not look such a good idea, especially as his likely to rip our midfield apart on Tuesday night, I did say on a previous thread that I though we were short in CM, sadly it's looking like this has happened. Doyle is out for a few weeks, he is a big miss, just how long the 'few weeks' are who knows. Tuesday is massive as they are just behind us, going forward it not about how many points we are behind auto/playoffs its both how many points & how many teams.

At the moment we need other teams to go on a bad run, not much of that happening at the moment and we need to win the games against those around us, which is looking increasing unlikely.

Next Saturday is a distraction, if we loose on Tuesday and pick up further niggles, then I would rather play the u23's against Brighton rather than risk the first team, I know most will slag me off for this but what do we want more promotion or getting to the next round of a cup that we won't win. Me after 45+ years of supporting city would love to see promotion before I die.

Nick

Administrator
If you look back recently too, against Swindon Biamou hit a worldly. Probably wouldn't do that again if he had another 30 attempts. There was not any creativity involved. Long punt from the keeper, ball fell to him and he blasted it.

Against both Cambridge and Swindon McNulty hit two great strikes out of the blue. We didn't really create anything for those goals either.

I'm not complaining about the goals, all great goals, but we can't keep relying on that. We need the bread and butter goals too, exactly the same sort of goals Accrington scored yesterday and they could have scored more too.

How many times are we getting the ball to the byline and pulling it back to enable strikers to have a chance to score?

Exactly.

How many goals like Accrington's have we scored (both home and away)? There weren't really world class goals but they were bread and butter (especially the first).

Even back when it was Jones and Nazon, it was relying on them to have a pot shot and score.

Adge

I think we are in for a very bumpy ride in the next few weeks/matches.
I have Brighton tickets but am really not looking forward to traveling down there for a tonking. Was going to Crewe aswell but am going off that idea too.
Games coming up against Wycombe/Mansfield and Luton will be tough and can only see three defeats. The games are then running out, I just hope we can limp over the line into the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread