McNulty better off without Jones? (1 Viewer)

edgy

Noticed something over the last few games. We arn't trying to get players to the byline and supply crosses. Nearly all our attacking play and chance creation is through the middle of the park, playing through balls. McNulty playing off the last man.

Is he better off without Jones in the side and being our main focus of attacking play?

speedie87

Think the change to 442 has more to with mcnulty scoring than jones being out. But would we have changed to 442 without him being out.

Nick

Administrator
Even when Jones was playing you could see McNulty making the runs, he has always pointed in front of him to where he wants the ball. When Jones was playing we still struggled to unlock defences.

Mcbean

Noticed something over the last few games. We arn't trying to get players to the byline and supply crosses. Nearly all our attacking play and chance creation is through the middle of the park, playing through balls. McNulty playing off the last man.

Is he better off without Jones in the side and being our main focus of attacking play?

yes i see this as well - Both Jones and the Duck would cut in and looked for a distance shot just outside the penalty area - in fact Sparky did this yesterday - the difference for me has been Shiply Bayliss and bless his heart Doyler pushing delivering balls in and forward - before it was left to Jones to create - to say we missed the best striker in the league Robbins has done a helluva job and he was right about Sparky

covcity4life

One thing i always said was mcnulty gets in good positions and goals will come

Back then he missed or scuffed alot now they are goijg in. Nothing to do with our best player being injired

Esoterica

It's as much to do with Kelly* not playing than Jones. Having Kelly sitting deep with Doyle forced us into counterattacking football and to go wide with the ball to Jones due to lack of central options, whereas Bayliss drives into the midfield gap with the ball rather than always passing out wide so our threat is less 1 dimensional.

* Would say that Kelly is my favourite player too just didn't like the shape he was forced to play in.

Grendel

It's as much to do with Kelly* not playing than Jones. Having Kelly sitting deep with Doyle forced us into counterattacking football and to go wide with the ball to Jones due to lack of central options, whereas Bayliss drives into the midfield gap with the ball rather than always passing out wide so our threat is less 1 dimensional.

* Would say that Kelly is my favourite player too just didn't like the shape he was forced to play in.

Yeah that’s why it’s changed - a more forward looking midfield.

NortonSkyBlue

Back then he missed or scuffed alot now they are goijg in. Nothing to do with our best player being injired
Jones is not and never was our best player. A good start to the season is called a good run of form. He was terrible last season and possesses little end product even with his "trickery"
McNulty is our best player and will get us up.

covcity4life

Jones is not and never was our best player. A good start to the season is called a good run of form. He was terrible last season and possesses little end product even with his "trickery"
Jones was our best player for start of season. Nonreimagibing will change that

Mcnulty may well be the best player we have but jones being out is nothing to do with it

Otis

Yeah, my concern now too that once Kelly is fit we will revert to a Kelly/Doyle combination and that will nullify some of our attacking play.

I don't think it is any surprise that we have created more with having Bayliss in the team, who is of course a creative midfielder.

Calista

Totally disagree with this. OK I don’t get to all the games now, but every time I’ve seen Jones play his talent has been obvious, even when things aren’t going right for him. The skills are there in abundance, he’s quick and shows good commitment. I also think he’s very capable of playing with his head up, and of seeing the game well – it’s just that at this stage of his career he sometimes makes wrong choices. At no stage have I ever thought he was “terrible”.

I don’t think him being out of the team helps anyone, and it’s just a pity that he’s not there now that McNulty is firing on all cylinders.

better days

Ask McNulty what he thinks
I'd have a few quid that he would prefer to still have JJ in the side putting crosses in or sliding in through balls

Last edited:

pastythegreat

But our best player isn't injured! He's improved week on week since our 2 most greedy/wasteful players haven't been playing!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

NortonSkyBlue

Respect your opinion and perhaps I am jaded by his poor contribution last season and although I acknowledge many think he is a very good player, my opinion is that he has not been missed and we have found a different way to win without him running in to walls and his shots hitting row Z.
I would like to see a structure to his play in a team rather than as an individual.
For me nothing more than potential, I hope he proves me so wrong.

Hobo

I just think McNulty has found his form. We would be better off with Jones fit as he gives us a different attacking option and has shown he can score goals as well.

bawtryneal

When Kelly is fit it needs to be Kelly or Doyle and Bayliss in the middle
Not Kelly and Doyle together.
Will be interesting to see the midfield 4 when the two loanees are playing next week.

Greggs

All down to confidence. McNulty had the touch of a creepy uncle until recently. Yesterday he brought a ball down and fizzed a shot in like he was playing for Brazil!

NortonSkyBlue

All down to confidence. McNulty had the touch of a creepy uncle until recently. Yesterday he brought a ball down and fizzed a shot in like he was playing for Brazil!
In the spirit of these days of past indiscretions being outed I suggest your creepy uncle is reported immediately and McNulty's passport is checked. We don't want to lose him!

Mcbean

apart from the fuckin penalty which he should have drilled like the last one ( good job we won i could have been angry )

Grendel

When Kelly is fit it needs to be Kelly or Doyle and Bayliss in the middle
Not Kelly and Doyle together.
Will be interesting to see the midfield 4 when the two loanees are playing next week.

Well that’s going to be a big call. Shipley is t great but along with Baylis will run forward with the ball. Kelly should be in and will be but he won’t drop Doyle.

You have to admire Doyles determination and attitude to still keep going (if players like Reid and nazon had it they’d be so much better) - he ran and ran in the last 20 minutes yesterday - but he’s passing and distribution has never improved since we signed him from Celtic.

Gazolba

apart from the fuckin penalty which he should have drilled like the last one ( good job we won i could have been angry )
That long run-up was just stupid. And it gave their defenders time to run in and clear the rebound. It was a very very poorly struck penalty.

Users who are viewing this thread